• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SOPA and PIPA

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Probably shouldn't post this here since it is politics and all but...

These laws could adversely effect our favorite dive club website.

For example: Lets say I made a video which compiled a bunch of my photos and had a background song that was currently popular, and then I posted a link of it here. If some not nice individual noticed my video, and found the link here, they could file to have the site blocked. No chance for appeal. Just BAM, site is gone.

Do some research. Speak up for what is right.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Joe if you have some fairly balanced links to this issue then please post them.

So are you saying the dive site has to police the songs being used in videos posted by members or the divesite is shut down?

If so we certainly need to know more.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thank you! Given the hundreds of dive groups and clubs out there...you just made my day! And I needed some 'day making'. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

I've already signed the petition and sent it to my representatives. There is just too much "control" in these bills.

#5 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't think I have seen any unbiased links about this.

How about a song with links at the end. :D

Or just attempt to use wikipedia, or click the censored google logo on the google home page. You'll find lots of info.

#6 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Or maybe you would like to see what Hitler thinks of these laws.

#7 sharkCrazy

sharkCrazy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

How about a song with links at the end. :D

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=1p-TV4jaCMk

I knew I was a geek before.....but the way my wife just looked at me as I laughed through that song confirms it!
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Here is the actual Bill if anyone is interested in seeing it without an advertising based news slant to it.

http://thomas.loc.go...~c1125fbV56:b0:

Much of what I have read and heard does not appear to be true.

#9 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Lawmakers rush to drop piracy bills as websites go dark.

#10 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

For example: Lets say I made a video which compiled a bunch of my photos and had a background song that was currently popular, and then I posted a link of it here. If some not nice individual noticed my video, and found the link here, they could file to have the site blocked. No chance for appeal. Just BAM, site is gone.

I'm trying to understand the concern here. So you condone stealing copyrighted materials?
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#11 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm trying to understand the concern here. So you condone stealing copyrighted materials?

SOPA (and PIPA) are proposed laws that purport to protect copy- and intellectual-property rights on the Internet through piracy control.

The law(s) as written have some incredibly far-reaching (supposedly) unintentional consequences that place everyone who uses the Internet in legal jeopardy, due to the interconnectedness of web sites, products and comment-enabled sites. The ramifications of such legislation passing has been ignored by the main-stream media--oddly owned by the very entities that want to see the law(s) passed.

The blackout supporters feel that if enough attention is drawn to the issue, it forces sunlight to fall on the legislation and encourages people to look into the ramifications of the proposed law(s) as currently written. 'The blackout cannot be ignored' is what they are thinking, and the media is forced to spotlight why the blackout is happening.

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

The concern is the wording of the bill. It was written by lobbyists and is, to sum it up in a word, vague. It allows broad powers to remove web sites from the DNS listings, effectively removing them from the Internet if found in violation. However, the burden of proof to establish that is nebulous at best. Some are saying a mere accusation or suspicion from a copyright holder can empower the courts to act. Then the site owner must effectively prove their innocence in court to get their site back on line. So in the blink of an eye, YouTube, Picasa, FaceBook, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Wikipedia etc. could disappear.

Understand that every photo/video taken and every word written are automatically copyrighted. You (the author) have to actively place that photo in the public domain to remove it from copyright status or wait 50 years for it to expire naturally. With SOPA and PIPA, in the blink of an eye, the Internet will become an information desert. It would be akin to punishing someone with a shotgun blast to the knees for a jaywalking offence without clearing the sidewalk of other people first. It would get messy, very quickly. The worse damage would be caused to copyright holders themselves as they would then have to prove copyright ownership to a web site owner before their materials could be published online. How do you prove you took that photo? A deposition? Some sort of registry? Who will cover those costs? You can bet it will not be the site owners. Many web sites will simply not allow those materials to be published any more to avoid the whole mess. Others will just shut down.

The biggest issue is that the Internet goes beyond US borders and they would be blocking global traffic. The comparisons to the Great Firewall of China are apt.

There are sufficient laws on the books to handle this today. I won't comment on those as I would surely violate the TOS. However SOPA / PIPA would be the first step of establishing Internet Police. And that would be the thin end of the wedge as my Dad would say.

• sharkCrazy and like this
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#13 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

It is no longer a matter of one crook making 1,000,000 illegal copies, it is now 1,000,000 people making 1 illegal copy.

The good intentions part of S.O.P.A. is to help writers, artists, authors, stop blatant copying like this.

I see lots of my work copied thousands of times, and sometimes it is credited to other people.

SingleDivers.com and my largest website are currently 'protected' by "section 230". We are not the creator or editor of the content, just providing the means for others to create content. Just as a newspaper does not write the classifed ads, you can not hold the newspaper accountable for a lemon car advertised in it, I don't want to be screwed for something a user does.

A manufacturer printing pages and assembling them into a book is not liable for intellectual theft by the 'author' of the book.

What does bother me is that many websites, like youtube, facebook, and a scuba related website that just went through a multi-year lawsuit, KNOW that some people are obsessed with bootlegging other people's work. Can they ban these people? Edit their postings? Well, if they do, then they might run the risk of losing their "section 230" protection if they become editors of the content.

Sites like youtube and facebook own everything you upload (read the fine print in your agreement with them). However, if it turns out to be illegally posted, then those websites hide behind "section 230" and say it's all your fault, no one can touch them. They are playing both sides of the field, and the creator of the work will always lose (under the current system).

Of the millions of videos on youtube with music, how many of them do you think took the time to license the music?

I do believe that something must be done; I also believe that we (society, government etc) absolutely must not hastily throw axes at the problem.

I am astonished that people think just because there is no copyright symbol, or the work is not 'registered' copyright that they can copy it all they want. The US copyright law says that the creator of the work has a copyright the moment that the work is created in fixed form.

#14 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I won't repeat everything Shadragon posted; suffice to say my own research agrees with his conclusions. IMO there are already sufficient laws on state and federal books that cover copyright infringement, at home and internationally. I share Sha's opinion that the wording of the bill (admittedly I browsed various passages and did not peruse every single word) suggests this is more a power grab than a genuine attempt to protect ownership rights.

WRT Racer184's mention of the abuse of "Section 230" (of what? FCC regulations? Some federal copyright statute?): Point taken. Perhaps the better choice might be to amend and clarify said existing section rather than creating yet another law.

Full disclosure: Those familiar with me would likely attest I typically tend to be the skeptic regarding benign, well-intentioned government; please accept this as my 2.5psi... :respect:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Here is the actual Bill if anyone is interested in seeing it without an advertising based news slant to it.

http://thomas.loc.go...~c1125fbV56:b0:

Much of what I have read and heard does not appear to be true.

The link says it has timed out and I can't figure out the right search words... SOPA and/or PIPA did not return any results.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users