• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is it time for a "No Frills" down and cheap trip?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dive trips are often as much a function of time and money relative to age and lifestyle as they are relative to your skill levels.

What do I mean? Well the older you are and the more stressful your job...the more likely you are to want a little more luxury or a little more pampering on your vacation. And the longer you've been diving and the more places you've been...the more discriminating you are about where you go diving.

As a result you'll see most of our dive trips are a little fancier (not luxurious) but certainly not 'camping at sea' or too 'rustic'.

However with ongoing harder economic times and the constant inching up of pricing for air, resorts etc... finding a good deal is harder and harder unless you are willing to accept a more 'no frills' type of trip. OR look 'East' for better deals where labor is cheap and we can get more value for our money.

So would you like to see SD run one or more "No Frills" trips that focus on the biggest bang for the buck but may not have a lot of fancy amenities or an oceanview or located on the beach or possibly no a/c or if it does you pay more for it?

And if you'd like to see us run some of these trips where do you want to go 'on the cheap'??

Or should we keep to the 'middle of the comfort road' as we have with the style of properties we typically choose?
  • blondie bluefin likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm a BOTTOM DWELLER !!!!!
Rather do MORE no frills dive trips per year than middle to higher end trips. I just did 6 dives(got sick prior to trip)/8 days in Puerto Rico on 3 tee shirts/ 2 shorts and less then $50/night lodging inc taxes.
Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I would be interested in a Spree run to the tortugas or flower gardens. Maybe you could talk to Frank and arrange for Mel to go on vacation for a week? :D

#4 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Here's one I ran across a couple years ago, pitch a tent, catch & cook your own food, or get over-the-water accomodations and have your meals furnished - definitely off the grid - check out the composting outhouse!!!

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

While I might be interested in "no frills", by the time I pay for airfare and start to think about even minimal lodging... I want more than "no frills" for the cost I'm already paying. I will say that the difference in one of the trips currently being offered between alcohol included and alcohol not included makes the trip more appealing - I would take the alcohol not included price as it is a "frill" I would not use.

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Accommodations do not matter much to me, since the only time I spend in the room is to clean up and to sleep. Plus, a/c is a 'frill' to me....living in Kansas City, I am very used to heat & humidity. I don't want to go as cheap as a tent and catching my own food, though! :lmao:

On a dive trip, it's the DIVING that matters to me. As long as the dive boats are reliable, have the appropriate safety equipment, and good crews, I'm happy!
Posted Image

#7 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I pretty much agree with Tammy with the exception of a/c. gotta have air conditioning in my room.. ok so I am a wuss when it comes to that. I can tolerate hot and sweaty all day long but at night I need a cool room.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

I would be interested in a Spree run to the tortugas or flower gardens.

I like it! Thanks for posting the recommendation, Joe aka TJG!

Maybe you could talk to Frank and arrange for Mel to go on vacation for a week? :D

Daaaaannnng... :o I knew I should have pulled the plug on your wireless connection sooner... :bam:
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#9 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Dive trips are often as much a function of time and money relative to age and lifestyle as they are relative to your skill levels.

What do I mean? Well the older you are and the more stressful your job...the more likely you are to want a little more luxury or a little more pampering on your vacation. And the longer you've been diving and the more places you've been...the more discriminating you are about where you go diving.

As a result you'll see most of our dive trips are a little fancier (not luxurious) but certainly not 'camping at sea' or too 'rustic'.

However with ongoing harder economic times and the constant inching up of pricing for air, resorts etc... finding a good deal is harder and harder unless you are willing to accept a more 'no frills' type of trip. OR look 'East' for better deals where labor is cheap and we can get more value for our money.

So would you like to see SD run one or more "No Frills" trips that focus on the biggest bang for the buck but may not have a lot of fancy amenities or an oceanview or located on the beach or possibly no a/c or if it does you pay more for it?

And if you'd like to see us run some of these trips where do you want to go 'on the cheap'??

Or should we keep to the 'middle of the comfort road' as we have with the style of properties we typically choose?

Isn't that Cozumel? I am definitely what you describe in the opening. I work too damn hard now and it is such a struggle to get out of Colorado sometimes (I feel you pain uwfan) that sleeping in a tent is not gonna happen. Besides I live in the Rockies where sleeping in a tent is a different thing.

Anyway when I was diving on a budget there were a couple of places. Cozumel and Key Largo jump to mind. Got wet, not too expensive and good surface intervals. San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico is another place. I am intimately familiar with the area and can help out. Down side is that it is kind of a pain to get to since air service is limited. But definetly economical.

Just my 2cents.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I would be interested in a Spree run to the tortugas or flower gardens.

I like it! Thanks for posting the recommendation, Joe aka TJG!

Maybe you could talk to Frank and arrange for Mel to go on vacation for a week? :D

Daaaaannnng... :o I knew I should have pulled the plug on your wireless connection sooner... :bam:

Hey Joe! We can always book you on the Spree anytime you want to go! And we can look at running a trip with them. Just need to see what current penalties are for not filling all spots vs. having a group leader etc. In the past they've been very challenging and we've had to fill every spot or pay for them. And Mel never goes on vaction. :(

But if there was enough interest and I could minimize the risk then we'd certainly consider it. Recently I've gotten a number of landbased pkgs that have a private room and private shower, possibly all drinks including sodas/alcohol, 3 boat dives and unlimited shore diving for the same or less money so have been been going that way.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I will say that the difference in one of the trips currently being offered between alcohol included and alcohol not included makes the trip more appealing - I would take the alcohol not included price as it is a "frill" I would not use.

POINT OF CLARIFICATION:

Heidi we have never had a booze vs no booze pricing option.

Some of the All Inclusive pkgs offer alcohol and some do not. In the case of the trip you are thinking about is really the difference in one option being AI and the other non AI pkg for Xcalak and Chinchorro. The non AI had breakfast and the other pkg had all meals, bottled water, soda and yes alcohol. Some of those meals are lobster and Shrimp hence the price difference.

In the case of Cozy the AI also includes all meals and bottled water and sodas and alcohol but the sodas and water are the same price as drinks for the most part. This was the case for our Roatan trip. A fancy coffee was more money than a beer or mixed drink and almost the same price as sodas.

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

WOW! There seems to be a lot of latitude on how you define... "No Frills"... :o

formerly...

#13 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I pretty much agree with Tammy with the exception of a/c. gotta have air conditioning in my room.. ok so I am a wuss when it comes to that. I can tolerate hot and sweaty all day long but at night I need a cool room.

I'm in agreement with Jim on this one. Gotta have a/c!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#14 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

WOW! There seems to be a lot of latitude on how you define... "No Frills"... :o

Definitely.

What I find is if I want no frills, its more the idea of finding a room with a kitchentte, doing some of my own meals and booking my diving ala carte. This can really keep costs down vs an AI. I guess the closest example I can think of a SD trip like that would be the Morehead City North Carolina trip. But to do such trips, you need to have some experience in a local area to pull it off. I have many friends that do Bonaire this way, and its become my preferrable method of doing Roatan.

I wouldn't want to go on a cheaper trip where an entity is booking cheaper trips by skimping on maintenance and meals. There are low cost AI options out there, but frankly, its not for me at this point in my life.

Edited by georoc01, 05 February 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#15 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

The first SD trip I did was Cozy in Jan 05 at Hotel Cozumel. Their off season rates are low $800 for a week All Inclusive DO, high season still under $1,000 Includes 14 dives. All your food. Alcohol. Walking distance to town. Pretty good dive op, Dive Paradise.

Always wondered why we never went back to that hotel.
  • WreckWench likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users