• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Out of air.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I witnessed today for the first time an actual out-of-air diver. The divemaster might have been of assistance except he was the one OOA! lol. He went from diver to diver taking a few breaths from each octo. As they say "this was no drill." There was no apparent emergency so I stayed down to finish the dive, about 10 minutes.

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Just shows, it can happen to anyone.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

The secret is to not panic...and you should be fine.
  • Elias likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Several years ago I was diving Bonaire, one of the divers in the group was an assistant instructor. We were at about 60ft when he came over and gave me the OOA sign. I gave him my octo and we proceeded up to our safety stop and surface. At first I though he must be testing me or something although I was not his student. He actually was OOA. I still had half a tank.

Goes to show you C cards are not everything.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I truly do not understand how someone with diving experience, during the course of a normal dive, could possibly run out of air. ('Normal' dive intended to mean a typical recreational dive with no emergency situations involved). To hear that a DiveMaster and an Assistant Instructor did so is alarming to me.

I check my gauges a lot.... I look at air, no deco limit, oxygen uptake and time elapsed every few minutes, as I was taught to do. It was drilled into me during my OW training to do so. Even when I picked up a camera and started looking through a viewfinder, I did not forget to watch the gauges!

Even if my pressure gauge is faulty, I have enough dives under my belt that I know fairly closely how long a tank will last me for the dive I am doing (depth, current, water temp, etc). If my pressure gauge is reading higher than it should for the time elapsed and my dive profile, I'm not likely to assume my SAC rate improved drastically overnight! :lmao: I would assume there were an equipment problem and begin my ascent.

I just don't get how someone who has DM or AI training and is responsible for other divers in the water can run out of air and set such a poor example.
Posted Image

#6 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I truly do not understand how someone with diving experience, during the course of a normal dive, could possibly run out of air. ('Normal' dive intended to mean a typical recreational dive with no emergency situations involved). ... I just don't get how someone who has DM or AI training and is responsible for other divers in the water can run out of air and set such a poor example.

Diving here in Belize is very normal and exceedingly easy. OOA occured during 2nd dive of the day ... DM completed his 600th dive on 1st dive! lol

#7 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I truly do not understand how someone with diving experience, during the course of a normal dive, could possibly run out of air. Even if my pressure gauge is faulty, I have enough dives under my belt that I know fairly closely how long a tank will last me for the dive I am doing (depth, current, water temp, etc).

If my pressure gauge is reading higher than it should for the time elapsed and my dive profile, I'm not likely to assume my SAC rate improved drastically overnight! :lmao: I would assume there were an equipment problem and begin my ascent.I just don't get how someone who has DM or AI training and is responsible for other divers in the water can run out of air and set such a poor example.

I hear you, Tammy! When I was in my first year of diving and working very hard at improving my SAC rate, it did improve so dramatically from one trip to the next that I thought my pressure gauge was faulty and I terminated the dive! The situation the OP described reminds me of the fatal dive accident that happened in Cozumel last fall to a dive shop owner (I realize that is another topic)where she did a dive that was just plain insane. What are people thinking????
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#8 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

I had a sort of OOA experience at twin lakes. Actually my valve was not opened fully. But I was only in 15 feet of water, so I made a quick but orderly ascent to the surface. (IOW the surface was closer than my buddy)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#9 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Just shows, it can happen to anyone.

The secret is to not panic...and you should be fine.

This is the reason that you train for the worst--so that you will survive what to the untrained could become pear-shaped rather quickly.

A few years ago, I was a TA at depth looking for an U/W nav marker that needed to be recovered at the end of a class. Found the first three with no problem--but the fourth just kept eluding me, so I started to sweep the area on the chance that it had somehow been repositioned by accident to another spot near the original one (I later found out that one of the instructors had picked it up while I got the first three).

No problem, I thought. Got plenty air left to look for this thing.

Little did I know that my gauge was off. I found out about 15 minutes and 35-40ffw later when I pulled in about half a breath and no more.

Lots of things go through your mind when confronted with a nasty surprise: Hunh?, no AIR?! and Gotta get to the surface NOW!!!! being some of them. Because of training, practice and learning how to master the natural inclination to panic, did a textbook ESA and oral inflate at the surface, then headed into shore.

I don't usually share this story, as it can be construed that I am bragging or making myself out to be some sort of hard-as-nails laughing in the face of Death Itself diver. Not the case at all.

As said above--it can happen to anyone, and the key is not to panic and remember and practice your training so should the time come you'll be ready. I was ready that day, thanks to the folks who trained me. I do the best I can today to make sure my students are ready as well---should things start going pear-shaped for them.

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

I must talk to you about that, Craig! When I dived with you this morning I followed my usual practice, which is to check my air by breathing from the regulator before I get in, then to check it when I first reach the bottom, then again around 10 minutes later to ensure it isn't dropping faster than it should (I was aware that I had a leaking alternate). I don't then usually check it again until my no-deco time reaches its minimum, or I go into deco, or I come up from a particularly deep section of the dive. I was a bit alarmed that I seemed to be using more air than usual, which may have been the leaking reg but more likely was that I was out of practice. Then I checked it again when I started my final ascent towards the safety stop. Once it drops below 1000psi I check it more frequently, but that doesn't often happen and it didn't today.

I agree with LlDN. Unless a fault develops in the equipment during the dive there's no excuse for coming close to running out of air on a recreational dive. It shows bad planning and poor control. If any of my DMs had run out of air in those circumstances I would insist he underwent more training, with me. In fact that did happen a few years back, and that's just what I did. I don't want that DM accompanying customers until I'm happy he's safe himself.

With technical diving the issues are quite different, and although it's still an unhealthy thing to happen there is a bit more excuse for it.

I would regard running out of air during a dive when the diver is on a course as a show-stopper. I could not certify such a person until I had confidence in their situational awareness. I'm not talking about people with heavy air consumption, though that in itself isn't good - I'm talking about not being aware of it and putting yourself and others in danger.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

A couple of things to keep in mind...

If a tank is low on the boat and there are no extras...who do you think gets the low tank? The DM.
If a client's regulator malfunctions or is leaking from a hose...who do you think dives the faulty equipment if necessary? The DM.

I have watched many a DM dive on a low tank leaking air like a sieve.. so its only logical that every once in awhile they will actually run out before the dive is over with.

It has nothing to do with skill or lack of training or even awareness...its part of the business of diving. I've seen in happen in Fiji, Belize, Mexico and other places.

The trick is to not panic, keep calm and work your way to safety.

And don't forget a certain DM who jumped in the water and dove 50-55 mins only to find she had sucked the last breath of air out of her tank...a feeling she had not experienced since her very early days of diving. As it turns out this certain DM dove someone's empty tank for the dive rather than a full tank. So it can happen...I know as I was the DM that did a dive on an empty/partially full tank a few years ago in Bonaire.
  • Mermaid Lady likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#12 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Once it drops below 1000psi I check it more frequently, but that doesn't often happen and it didn't today.

Can't remember the last time my tank pressure went below 1000psi... ;) ;)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

To use get your tank's worth in the Caribbean, you have to shore dive (or have your own boat). Caribbean boat dive operators always limit you to 45-60 minute dives, or worse yet make everyone come up as a group with the first person to get low on air. :o

I did get my tank down to 500 psi last year from a boat in the Philippines, but that was on a 107 minute dive. :) As long as we had 300psi left in the tank when we got back on the boat and did not do any deco diving, we could stay down as long as we wanted....and we wanted to stay down! :D
Posted Image

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Once it drops below 1000psi I check it more frequently, but that doesn't often happen and it didn't today.

This is another reason why DM's and excellent divers can otherwise get into trouble and have a OOA (out of air) or OOG (out of gas) situation...because they rarely run low they may not check as often as they should and if they had a leak that they were not aware of or a low tank...they may encounter problems.

I guess I NEVER checked my tank in Boniare when I grabbed an empty tank that had a cap on it. I blame no one but myself for not checking it properly before using it. I thought I did but apparently that one time I did not. So I did deserve what I got as there is no excuse for it...but it can happen to people who dive frequently...even pros...and the trick is to be calm and work your way thru it. That way you only suffer from *one* mistake and not two!

formerly...

#15 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I guess that's one plus of having a wrist mounted air intergrated computer. Its a single look to see time, depth and air, including an estimate of minutes remaining. As long as I remember to look at it before every dive, I can catch such situations. I do have a connected backup pressure gauge, but the AI is a nice luxury if you can afford it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users