• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Attracting new members

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:50 AM

We’re looking for some input from our members. After being in operation for slightly more than a month, we have 123 members, and over 2,600 posts. We’re very happy with our growth. OTOH, we know there are lots more single and buddyless divers we’ve yet to reach. How do we reach them and bring them into our family?

What are your ideas? What do you believe are good effective methods to attract fun single divers? What attracted you? Why do you stay? What can we do make it even better?

We’re actively looking for your ideas. We want your feedback. Please take a few minutes to help.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

Okay. Here goes.

I heard about SD.com from WW as a result of going on the Coz trip in January which I found posted on ScubaBoard.

Currently what I'm doing to attract single divers is:
- I've added a link to my SB.com profile.
- I've added SD.com as a "cool site" on my Yahoo profile and MSN profile.
- I've had my Coz trip underwater pics posted on my club's website.
- I'm currently writing a trip report about Coz for my club newsletter.

What I would like input on is how to word a post on a different Board so that it won't be considered spam or solicitation. So far I'm just waiting until some post comes up that I might be able to add a comment to about going on a singles trip.

Diverlady

Edited by Diverlady, 06 April 2004 - 10:35 AM.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

I guess that part of this is that real fast growth could be an issue too. I don't want to sound elitist, but consider that SB had a recent issue because they had far more traffic than their server could handle. As I recall, they were down for most of a weekend over that. Planned growth is good!

That having been said, most of my dive buddies are not single or I wouldn't be here. I get more PM's than I receive. I run a website that I am having rewritten right now (no time with Great Lakes Wrecking Crew business to do it myself). I will include a link to here in that website when that project is complete. I guess getting the word out about cutting out the single's supplement for the trips would help too. These are the kind of things that come up in conversations with friends. I guess that I feel that the best advertising is free and that is word of mouth.

Just mention this site when the situation arises and don't go pushing it on people who don't ask. When I first saw the links, I ignored them because the name looked more like a dating site which I am not interested in. When I saw that there was serious diving dialog here, I changed my tune and that took all of two seconds after I registered. Just be patient and give it time. We all have plenty of that!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:53 AM

What I would like input on is how to word a post on a different Board so that it won't be considered spam or solicitation.

A very important point. Thanks for bringing it up.

We want to eliminate spam! With that in mind, we certainly don't want it used in our behalf.

You can post trip reports. You can mention the trip was organized by a group that organizes trips for single and buddyless divers. If people ask, you can answer their questions. Spam is unsolicited. If you've been asked, that eliminates that issue.

Personally, I hate having my mailbox filled with junk I don't want. When I ask for info; that is, by definition, something I do want. I may or may not be interested in investigating further.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:10 AM

I guess that part of this is that real fast growth could be an issue too. I don't want to sound elitist, but consider that SB had a recent issue because they had far more traffic than their server could handle. As I recall, they were down for most of a weekend over that. Planned growth is good!

Excellent point. We are planning for growth. I wasn't aware that numbers caused that problem on SB. SB is a vastly different site, I don't expect us to ever be that large. We have a far more limited target group.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:58 PM

I agree that word of mouth is the best. Just put a bunch of mouths in the same place. It may be worth considering putting a map on the website somewhere, with a dot location for each member. When a location has a critical mass, the local members may want to use the SD.com chatboard as a means to plan a local happy hour. I.E. If I invite my local diving friends to a HH, and they meet a few other single/ buddyless divers there, they may then be more inclined to join SD.com. They may never find this website on their own.
Diving; My zen space.

#7 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:12 AM

What kept me away from the board originally, despite PMs from members on another board I am a member of, and a couple banner ads I saw, was that I was under the impression that this was a dating board. I had the same general impression that Brian did, I guess.

What really brought me here was a friend insisting I visit and check out a thread I'd be interested in, ie word of mouth advertising.

What kept me here was the fact that there were other single divers having conversations that were more than just dating related. Jokes, serious topics, and even some good natured flirting in proper ratios. I was impressed that there was an atmosphere where diving could be discussed without flame wars. I was also impressed by the mix of jokes and issues related to being alone thrown into the mix, because we are all divers, but we are all singles too.

I can get the ultra-serious take on tech issues on the Deco Stop. I can get the poorly phrased DIR/anti-DIR flames on Scubaboard. But when I come here I find an atmosphere that seems unique.

OK, maybe all the pictures of smiling girls that like to dive kept me here too... :welcome:

I guess as we grow, I'd like to see more singles from my geographic area show up to join me. I love the idea of singles trips, but until I can spend the money to go on one, I'm really just virtual diving with the members here. It would be great to see local diving opportunities grow out of this board in addition to the opportunities to meet some of you in tropical destinations.

If I have any other brainstorms, I'll be sure to let you know.

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:39 AM

It sounds like the atmosphere is the way we want to keep it. Now, how can we help folks realize we aren't a dating site?

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:09 AM

It sounds like the atmosphere is the way we want to keep it.  Now, how can we help folks realize we aren't a dating site?

One idea.. On the singledivers main page, it mentions that it is NOT a dating agency about half way down the page. Some people don't take the time to read further if they aren't getting what they are looking for in the first paragraph or so. Sometimes it it may be just pure laziness not wanting to read it all info too.

Maybe move that phrase up further in the page? Just a thought :welcome:

Edited by WisconsinGal, 07 April 2004 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:30 AM

On the singledivers main page, it mentions that it is NOT a dating agency about half way down the page..............Maybe move that phrase up further in the page?

Great idea Marla! Thanks!

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:36 AM

It sounds like the atmosphere is the way we want to keep it.  Now, how can we help folks realize we aren't a dating site?

One idea.. On the singledivers main page, it mentions that it is NOT a dating agency about half way down the page. Some people don't take the time to read further if they aren't getting what they are looking for in the first paragraph or so. Sometimes it it may be just pure laziness not wanting to read it all info too.

FYI

And along that topic, the picture of the couple in the sunset on the first page will be history shortly too!! That doesn't help the NON-DATING atmosphere. When the SD logo is complete, I believe that's what will appear there!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#12 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:42 AM

FYI

And along that topic, the picture of the couple in the sunset on the first page will be history shortly too!! That doesn't help the NON-DATING atmosphere. When the SD logo is complete, I believe that's what will appear there!

Diverlady

Ohh ya.. Very good point!

You're welcome Walter :dance:

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:59 AM

What kept me away from the board originally, despite PMs from members on another board I am a member of, and a couple banner ads I saw, was that I was under the impression that this was a dating board. I had the same general impression that Brian did, I guess.

You must be thinking of www.ScubadivingSingles.com as we do not have any banner ads for our site....can you check and see where you saw them? And yes the latter is a dating site.

What really brought me here was a friend insisting I visit and check out a thread I'd be interested in, ie word of mouth advertising.

Awesome! And I hope you are doing the same telling your friends about us...especially since we are a serious site that has a light touch!! But hey...that's what singles are....serious people who know how to have fun!!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:00 AM

I thought we'd already ditched that photo at your suggestion, DL.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:02 AM

I thought we'd already ditched that photo at your suggestion, DL.

Can't ditch it until we have something to replace it with. Current plan is to use our official logo as soon as we complete it! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users