• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

spool modifications

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

See below Pic's of my Modifications I did to the reel.

Here's a minor modification I did for mine..Cost about $2.00 Always lookin to improve things. If you notice in the pix I took a 1/2" PVC T. I put that through the hole.Then get another pvc coupling & glue it on the opposite end.You now have something to hold the spool with and it can spin..The other addition I did is to add a knob.This is also at a local Home Depot/Menards store.Secured with a screw.

I forgot to mention..I put a zip tie on the string at 20 ft.

Attached Thumbnails

• img671a.jpg
  • img672a.jpg
  • img673a.jpg

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 01 June 2012 - 05:42 AM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

The Buddy Pocket Reel http://www.apvalves....(sept 2005).pdf has always served me well, with one caveat that I'll come to in a moment. What I like about it is that the line/spool is totally enclosed, so line can't spill off and get tangled with something else, and that it has a positive lock every revolution strong enough to hang on. Since I got one (several actually - I became a dealer for them and other AP Valves products) I have never found the need to look for any other GP reel.

The caveat - I have found with all of the ones I've used that after a while the reel begins to tighten up, to the extent that it becomes difficult to use safely. The problem is that the screw holding the whole thing together doesn't rely on friction, but on reaching its end stop. As the plastic reel warps slightly in use this screw becomes too tight, causing the reel to jam. Easily resolved - remove the screw and disassemble the entire mechanism (quite easy, given care not to drop the line). Grease all sliding parts (apparently not done from manufacture) and push paper or anything else suitable inside the threads so that the screw doesn't go quite as far before it tightens up, leaving a bit of slack. Problem solved, and this is a one-off fix that never needs repeating. I've used the same Pocket Reel for 8 years and can't fault it in design, operation or robustness. The only other issue is that they aren't particularly cheap.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,723 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

Looks like a good idea Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:40 AM

Looks like a good idea Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Kamala,As I mentioned,it's another "improvement".
I might even post my shower rod hanger idea you saw whileyou were here.Do you think ?

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users