• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I have a question ...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

I was only 17 at the time I saw the first one so mom had to be there, but the shrink didn't even talk to me ... she even asked my mom if she would like pills too. She was handing them out like candy ... so I haven't taken them.

Are you seeing a counselor at college? I did, from time to time. Helped a lot. I've always been crazy, but only a little; always a problem drinker, but never an alcoholic; just a low rate misfit. :teeth:

A clincal evalutaion at your school's faciitly might be a good idea. :welcome:

And as always, remember that some of us are amateurs like me, who have not been thru clinical depression, so my contributions especially are only chit chat.

You can also consult with Divers Alert Network for free, even if you're not a member yet: 1-800-446-2671 :-D
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:48 PM

Dandy Don

just a low rate misfit. 

That confession alone should bring a person out of clinical depression to extreme joy !

B2B :wavey:

Please don take this with a grain of salt. just for fun K
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#18 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:10 PM

Dandy Don

just a low rate misfit. 

That confession alone should bring a person out of clinical depression to extreme joy !

B2B :o

Please don take this with a grain of salt. just for fun K

I'm sorry, but I never know what to make of a remark from a full blown, fully qualified misfit.

FYI, the popular phrase is Take it with a grain of salt, not "don't take" - in the original Latin it is cum grano salis, from Pliny's Historia Naturalis.

Salt was once a valuable commidity, from which we took the word slalary. as Roman soilders were often paid with it. It was thought to have magical properites, so if skeptical of anything or the origin, take it with a grain of salt - to be safe.

To take 'it' with a grain of salt now means 'to accept a thing less than fully.'

:wavey:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#19 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:47 PM

Dandy Don

I'm sorry, but I never know what to make of a remark from a full blown, fully qualified misfit.

Dont forget I have it in writing that i am one of those.
Geesh if I could live on 924 a month SSI I would :wavey:

My money is on Charity our friend she is gona show us all what life is about.

B2B

Amazon.com

#20 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 16 October 2004 - 03:07 PM

My money is on Charity our friend she is gona show us all what life is about.

I am confussed ... what does that mean?

#21 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:45 PM

Charity

That means I have all the confidence in You. and that you well overcome this issue in your life like others before you have done. so you hold the torch now Charity and with your faith, will, and love for others you well overcome this and pass that torch to the next one. and everyone bar none see people overcoming things in there life and this gives them hope for humanity and that we all have a purpose.

Thats what I mean

Mike

PS if you havnt contacted TF yet please do.
she has passed her torch to another.

Amazon.com

#22 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:53 PM

Charity

That means I have all the confidence in You. and that you well overcome this issue in your life like others before you have done. so you hold the torch now Charity and with your faith, will, and love for others you well overcome this and pass that torch to the next one. and everyone bar none see people overcoming things in there life and this gives them hope for humanity and that we all have a purpose.

Thats what I mean

Mike

I don't want to pass this torch to someone else ... no one should have to suffer like this. I need to put it out so no one else will get burned. Problem is the firemen are off duty and the truck has no wheels so I am stuck with it for a little while longer.

#23 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:54 PM

Charity

Thats what I mean

Mike

I don't want to pass this torch to someone else ... no one should have to suffer like this. I need to put it out so no one else will get burned. Problem is the firemen are off duty and the truck has no wheels so I am stuck with it for a little while longer.

Charity,

Hope I'm not putting words in B2B's mouth (please correct me if I'm wrong). But they way I took "Pass the torch" wasn't to pass the bad stuff, but that once you have conquer this, pass THAT torch. What you are going through now could very well help someone in your future.

And it seems you are well on your way to dealing with your issues. You are seeking medical attention and reaching out. Just keep heading in that direction. As others have said, if you aren't comfortable with one doc, find another. And if you have problems with meds, let your doc know. May need to change the dosage, may need to change the med altogether. But I think you have already seen just from this board that depression, and bi polor disorder are not all that uncommon. You are not alone!

Ali
"

#24 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:18 PM

alikat's right.

i've never been ashamed or embarrassed by my problems. if my experiences can help somebody else get through a hard time, it's SO worth it.

you are NOT alone. you WILL get through this and learn a lot about yourself in the process.

we're here for ya, chickie.
and that's just all the people in MY head....Posted Image

#25 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

I hope you are feeling a bit better since October. Just to be on the safe side, as per the suggestions of some of the group members, contact DAN for advise, especially if you are taking meds.

Re diving with depression: I'm with the crew here. If you feel bad (even psychologically), don't dive. Because of the potential for poor decision-making, or misperceiving the diving conditions or your own fitness to continue, you could place yourself or others in danger. So it's just not worth the risk. Help out on the boat instead (I've done that if I was tired or just "out of it," but not too "out of it" to be with other divers). If you feel good, but lack confidence, go on an easy, shallow dive with a diving professional (instructor, dive master, guide, etc). If you start feeling anxious, give the abort sign to you buddy and, with your buddy, calmy and slowly make your way to the surface.

If you are still interested, I have some additional information re medical and psychological treatments of mood disorders. There are some approaches which have been reported to be effective with as many as 80% of people accurately diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Contact me privately via my email address for more information.

Good luck---

Sue B (they also call me "Dr. B!!!")

#26 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:11 AM

i've always found diving to be the cure for my depression

:lmao:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#27 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:17 AM

Diving is great....it's a fabulous sport physically, socially. I believe diving can really help people psychologically as well, and on a host of levels....

All I was saying is there are some risks involved. We seem to be able to talk about the physical risks (using meds, etc) without too much difficulty. Psychological issues...hmmm, that might be another story. I think it's cool that this issue was addressed in this forum because psychological components can overlap with physical performance---for good or for naught. Awareness is critical for making informed choices.

May the discussion continue!!! :cool2:

#28 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for yalls support ... I have been to the shrink and he said it is deffinatly Bipolar Disorder. He put me on some meds that are working great now, but I am waiting just a little longer to dive just incase I have some weird side effect.

#29 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:15 PM

Way to go, Charity!!! :teeth:

You did the right thing and it looks like it's paying off! You'll be back in the water in no time!!!

sue_b

#30 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

That is great news! I'm looking forward to diving with you when you're feeling up to it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users