• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

More financial woes for European Airlines...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

11 June 2012
More airlines may go bust, IATA warns as losses deepen

European airlines are teetering on the brink of financial collapse, with combined losses expected to exceed $1billion this year, the International Air Transport Association warned today.

Speaking at the Association's annual general meeting in Beijing, director general Tony Tyler said the problems facing European airlines had deepend over the past three months.

Losses for the full year are now expected to reach at least $1.1bn, $500m more than predicted in March.

If the banking crisis in Spain spreads to other countries, the losses could be even higher, said Tyler.

He said the recessions in Britain and Spain, combined with jitters over the eurozone, threatened "a major downward shift in economic prospects".

And IATA's chief economist Brian Pearce warned that if the recession sweeps across Europe, more airlines may go bust. "I think there is a serious risk to the financial viability of some airlines," he said. "We have already seen some airlines go out of business and there is a clear possibility it will continue."

Tyler told IATA's annual general meeting in Beijing that the crisis in Europe was now a bigger concern among airlines than rising oil prices.

He said that high passenger taxes, including Air Passenger Duty in the UK, and "poorly thought-out" European regulations were hitting airlines. Several carriers were critical of Europe's carbon emissions trading scheme, which was extended to airlines in January.

By Linsey McNeill

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

The UK "air passenger duty" (global warming tax, in fact) is scheduled to increase to more than $425 per person R/T USA! It is not imposed if merely changing planes enroute elsewhere.

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

The UK "air passenger duty" (global warming tax, in fact) is scheduled to increase to more than $425 per person R/T USA! It is not imposed if merely changing planes enroute elsewhere.

Which is the biggest crock ever. It does nothing for the enviroment as it goes stright into the coffers of Britain. This is one of a few reasons why I wont fly to england anymore id rather fly to FRA or AMS then take train to england...and they wonder why passenger air travel is down.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users