• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NC Wreck Diving WWW Season Opener

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Opened our NC Wreck Diving warm water wuss season this past weekend, chartering my favorite boat/crew Diver Down out of Atlantic Beach, NC. Although my favorite crew member was missing.

Our boat was awesome. We had a bunch of folks from DAN (great divers and nice people), a couple of hunky guys with rebreathers, a couple of cutie pie marine snipers, 1/3 women (unheard of here), and a few of my friends from Raleigh/Durham. Conditions were perfect, vis between 40-60 feet, and I couldn't have asked for a better season opener.

We dove the Naeco stern (a deep one, sand is 145) which was completely covered in Lionfish. It is closer to the Gulfstream than some of the others, and boy do they like NC waters. I wonder how long the other marine life will stay diverse and plentiful in this context.

Then we headed to the Spar. The Spar is an artificial wreck, a former coast guard cutter, and was turned onto it's ?starboard side by Irene. The Sand Tigers still love it. My dive buddy got a great shot of me which looks like one of those shots that you photoshop a shark into, except this one wasn't photoshopped. It's not on a web album, so I don't know how to post it here. Help?

Sunday the hunky rebreather divers joined us. Made for some nice surface interval ogling. We headed to the Schurz. The marine life was plentiful, and the wreck was covered in baitfish so thick that we had to really orient to the wreck to keep our bearings. Saw tons of everything (spadefish, queen angels, filefish, triggers, jacks, barracuda, grouper, snapper, flounder, and a few more Sand Tigers).

Next and last dive was on the Aeolus bow. My first and favorite mask was sent to a watery grave right after tying in. RIP my friend. And if I spot any guys wearing a lavender TUSA Serene, you will be outed. Lots of life on this one too, I was the eel finder. The way the bow sits, on it's ?port side, and the fact that it was pretty intact, it was really easy to spot particular types of fish. Vis was really remarkable on this one.

There is talk of an all girl boat later in the summer. It was funny. Usually I am the only woman. If there are any others, chances are they were dragged out with a guy. ALL of the women on this boat (6) were there because they love wreck diving, and only one was accompanied by her man. In fact, my dive buddy left her diving hubby at the beach watching the kids, he's not that into wreck diving and she is.

Hopefully SD will plan a trip up here soon!

Sharklover

PS-Hunky rebreather guys have invited me to join their trip next summer. What to DO?!
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#2 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like a great trip!! :cool1:

Sorry to hear about your Serene mask....I love mine as well.

I still haven't been able to try the FREE one we both won.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#3 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sounds like a great trip!! :cool1:

Sorry to hear about your Serene mask....I love mine as well.

I still haven't been able to try the FREE one we both won.

Yeah, the free one that I won was my backup that day so it was put into action. So far, I don't like it as much as the Serene, but I have only been in the water with it twice. It has a very low profile which is nice. And the softness of the skirt does tolerate more facial movement. I think I will prefer it after I get used to it.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#4 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Leslie, Thanks for the awesome trip report!!! :thankyou:

The NC wrecks are on my bucket list and I've been bugging the Wench to do a trip there soon. I've not been particularly crazy about wrecks, but the thought of diving with all the sand tigers is irresistible!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#5 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Leslie, Thanks for the awesome trip report!!! :thankyou:

The NC wrecks are on my bucket list and I've been bugging the Wench to do a trip there soon. I've not been particularly crazy about wrecks, but the thought of diving with all the sand tigers is irresistible!

I'm not particularly crazy about the wrecks either Ellen, but I am crazy about the marine life that live on them. Particularly the Sand Tigers. Did you see my shark shot on FB? Pretty funny. I had no idea that big guy was behind me!

If you find yourself heading this way this summer, let me know. We dive a lot in the summer months!

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

SD WILL be doing a trip in 2012...its been on the calendar! Probably for the 4th of July weekend... its uber cool to dive on history while making history celebrating history! :wakawaka:

Leslie it sounds like you had a blast.... not thrilled about the chilly bottom temps but I also know that the water should warm up 5-8 degrees over the next month so it won't be too bad soon!

Thanks for the great report and hopefully you'll plan to join our trip next summer. You can post any pics in your personal gallery and then load them. Or send to me and I'll post it!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

SD WILL be doing a trip in 2012...its been on the calendar! Probably for the 4th of July weekend... its uber cool to dive on history while making history celebrating history! :wakawaka:

Leslie it sounds like you had a blast.... not thrilled about the chilly bottom temps but I also know that the water should warm up 5-8 degrees over the next month so it won't be too bad soon!

Thanks for the great report and hopefully you'll plan to join our trip next summer. You can post any pics in your personal gallery and then load them. Or send to me and I'll post it!

We did have a great time!

Of course I will join the SD group next summer (sans lodgings of course)! 4th of July weekend 2013 would be great timing (already doing one of those weekends this year). I don't like traveling OUS in the summer as those are the prime months for me to enjoy my home coast. Got lucky last year, 8 of 8 trips went and we had great conditions.

Bottom temps were nice, though I kind of wish I had worn my 5mm.

#8 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hello Leslie,

I am scheduled to be diving in the area this weekend myself. What bottom temps did you have? Thanks. Ed

We did have a great time!

Of course I will join the SD group next summer (sans lodgings of course)! 4th of July weekend 2013 would be great timing (already doing one of those weekends this year). I don't like traveling OUS in the summer as those are the prime months for me to enjoy my home coast. Got lucky last year, 8 of 8 trips went and we had great conditions.

Bottom temps were nice, though I kind of wish I had worn my 5mm.

#9 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Ed, my computers are at the dive shack, but I am pretty sure they were 71/72. I wore a 3 and wished I had worn a 5 by the second dive. Check the forecast, it is looking a bit iffy this weekend. Hope your dives go and that they are good ones!

#10 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hello Leslie,

Thank you for the temps. If we dive, I will use the 5mil. I have already heard that Saturday MAY be adjusted due to weather. It is never good when they say that two days before the trip. I will make my drive and hope for the best. Ed

#11 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

My dive buddy got a great shot of me which looks like one of those shots that you photoshop a shark into, except this one wasn't photoshopped. It's not on a web album, so I don't know how to post it here. Help?

Hi Leslie,

To place thumbnail of the photo in your post you would browse and attach file underneath the text box when posting. If you want to add it to an existing post, you would click to edit the post, click use full editor and then again browse and attach file.

Clint

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hello Leslie,

Thank you for the temps. If we dive, I will use the 5mil. I have already heard that Saturday MAY be adjusted due to weather. It is never good when they say that two days before the trip. I will make my drive and hope for the best. Ed

Winds/Weather can look eminent right up to departure and you are just fine. Winds/weather can look fine and then depart and have that go south. Weather is ALWAYS dicey in NC...if it weren't there wouldn't be so many wrecks! ;)

So don't sweat the weather... that is what separates the locals from the visitors... the former know this insider's secret. I'll go out on a limb an say that at this time of year you'll be fine. It might be a bit choppy but they won't go if it not safe. Comfort has various degrees depending on your skills and in your case your back. Being bounced around may not be too wise for you and your back.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#13 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

We are supposed to be doing the fossil ledge out of the Wilmington area. As of yesterday, the shop is saying that we will probably leave a few hours later, and go to a closer ledge. Sunday is supposed to be better. As you know, the concern for me is getting back up the ladder. Of course, the new added concern is a sinus infection that sprung up yesterday. Hopefully, I can get a few dives in anyway.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

I hope so too... the water temps are different from Morehead to Wilmington...depends on where the gulf stream is at. It could be much warmer in Wilmington if you have more gulf stream or much cooler if less.

And the ladder is a bear in bouncy water for anyone... I hope you have calm waters. Let us know what you find you meg addict you! ;)

formerly...

#15 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

We are supposed to be doing the fossil ledge out of the Wilmington area. As of yesterday, the shop is saying that we will probably leave a few hours later, and go to a closer ledge. Sunday is supposed to be better. As you know, the concern for me is getting back up the ladder. Of course, the new added concern is a sinus infection that sprung up yesterday. Hopefully, I can get a few dives in anyway.

Seems that dives out of the Morehead area have been called off for tomorrow. Sunday looks like it will be better. I'd call before you leave and ask your Wilmington op what their plans are.

You can expect a couple of degrees warmer in Wilmington due to the closer proximity of the gulf stream as Kamala said.

Good luck! Be safe! Carry a nice big reel and a big SMB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users