• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gauge Reading Mask

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 auther dent

auther dent

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I have basic 20/20 normal vision but age has taken it's eventual toll and I now have to wear reading glass (+1.5) which is causing some problems with the dive computer and gauges at depth (hoses and arms are too short basically).

I'd appreciate any feedback on what you've found that works. I doing several searches on various brands, types and such but tried and true experience always trumps any search engine on the internet.

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

I use these for both eyes as I'm taking pics or video.

http://www.divers-su...tics-P1922.aspx

http://www.leisurepr...e_4/AQUPOL.html

Inexpensive and work well. Installation is a trick, sometime when not done properly will fall off when diving but when correctly installed will stay in place for a season of diving.

My LDS also sells a permently glued cheater disc for 1 eye if all you need is a little help in reading your gauge or watch.

Corrective lens in specialty masks is another tyically more expensive route.

Edited by scubaski, 02 October 2012 - 04:50 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have gotten to point where I can't dive without my readers. I’ve tried them all with varying degrees of success. The best I’ve found for me is permanently bonded readers from prescription dive masks.com They will cut and install your needed magnification (mine are +1.75) in your favorite mask and have it back in a couple weeks.

I have an XS-Scuba mast with readers mounted at an angle under the main lenses. They work but are a bit weak for me and are pretty small.

The last option I’ve tried is the stick on type. They work but I had one of them come out at an inopportune time. As a trip progresses they can start to pull up around the edges making the boundary between the magnification and clear areas not transparent. Every once in a while you need to pull them out clean everything up and reinstall them. Because they are static cling adhered you need to be careful with the no fog and basic care of your mask. But you can move them to another mask if you want to. I don’t think they can be trimmed to fit perfectly in your mask if you have one that has large teardrop shaped lenses.

The set I have is now in my girlfriend’s mask from our trip to the Keys last weekend. She was not sure what mask she liked best so I could overnight change where the readers were installed so she could decide which mask to have lenses permanently installed.

Hope this helps, Jerry

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Jerry said it best.. "I have gotten to a point where I can't dive without my readers."I appreciate your vision issues. At one of the Dive shows I met www.PrescriptionDiveMasks.com .I got my rx uppdated from Lenscrafters.Sent my mask along with the rx. They are in Ca. They did a great job of making the lense in the correct rx .Quick turn around.Cost was probably around $250.00 Thats with mask .But I also have bi focals..

athletic optics is another co. Good hunting..
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#5 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

THese masks are subtle but work... although I am entirely too young to know this from personal experience <g>.

http://www.diverite....alog/fins/es125

I know Cave Country Dive shop in High Springs FL carries them but so do a lot of other places. I think they run about $150.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#6 grim reefer

grim reefer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, trimix, cave, vip, etc
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Maybe sport the Sherlock Holmes look and attach a magnifying glass to your BC for when you need to look at small things... ;)

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever - Jacques Cousteau

#7 auther dent

auther dent

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

I have gotten to point where I can't dive without my readers. I've tried them all with varying degrees of success. The best I've found for me is permanently bonded readers from prescription dive masks.com They will cut and install your needed magnification (mine are +1.75) in your favorite mask and have it back in a couple weeks.

I have an XS-Scuba mast with readers mounted at an angle under the main lenses. They work but are a bit weak for me and are pretty small.

The last option I've tried is the stick on type. They work but I had one of them come out at an inopportune time. As a trip progresses they can start to pull up around the edges making the boundary between the magnification and clear areas not transparent. Every once in a while you need to pull them out clean everything up and reinstall them. Because they are static cling adhered you need to be careful with the no fog and basic care of your mask. But you can move them to another mask if you want to. I don't think they can be trimmed to fit perfectly in your mask if you have one that has large teardrop shaped lenses.

The set I have is now in my girlfriend's mask from our trip to the Keys last weekend. She was not sure what mask she liked best so I could overnight change where the readers were installed so she could decide which mask to have lenses permanently installed.

Hope this helps, Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks, I will be checking them out. I think I will go with a set of press in type for my recreational dives but as I have just finished the Tec 40 and will be doing the higher level of DSAT TecRec courses later I want to go with a factory made or customized set for the Tec dives to ensure no incidents then.

I

Attached Thumbnails

• Ok at 40mtrs.jpg

#8 auther dent

auther dent

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Maybe sport the Sherlock Holmes look and attach a magnifying glass to your BC for when you need to look at small things... ;)

To be honest, I already carry one.....
  • grim reefer likes this

#9 AirHead

AirHead

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

I use a Mares Xvision mask that I got a ScubaToys. The offer replacement lenses in most any diopter you wish. You can just do one eye or both eyes. Mine is in a reader type of configuration. It works great. I can actually see my gauges and computer ...the only issue I have run into is that it tends to fog easier.

Buz
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#10 auther dent

auther dent

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I use a Mares Xvision mask that I got a ScubaToys. The offer replacement lenses in most any diopter you wish. You can just do one eye or both eyes. Mine is in a reader type of configuration. It works great. I can actually see my gauges and computer ...the only issue I have run into is that it tends to fog easier.

Buz

I've become really interested in the Dive Rite ES125 GR suggested by Kate due to it's low volume construction as I plan to use it when doing some TecRec dives. I've looked online at the Mares Xvision that you've recommended and I'd appreciate your feedback on the physical size of it. The extended corners at the bottom appears to make it a large / high volume mask.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted on this topic, I have gained far more information in these post than I could have imagined!

Edited by auther dent, 04 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Several other options include custom lenses or readers by SeaVision (a partner) and several masks carried by ScubaMax (also a partner). You can have the lenses put into your favorite mask with SeaVision or look at a new mask option in the latter case.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Jay

Jay

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE Tech 1
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Great topic.

My issue has been finding a mask that fits/works well and getting readers installed inexpensively. (I have several masks that are now backups)
The cheap stick-on ones haven't been a success. The replacement lense only came in a mask that leaked.
My newer Hollis mask is great, I just don't want to lose it for 2 weeks.
Ended up using a kayak compass for my Cuda instead of the small handle mount version.

Solution: Need screw in replacement eyeballs.

Edited by Jay, 13 November 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hey Jay...that's the best idea yet...but while waiting for that solution using your back up while you send your fav mask off to have real lenses put in is probably the surest bet!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#14 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Or since your arms are no longer long enough, your dive buddy can hold your computer out for you to see :teeth: Seriously, I used to dive with the prescription lenses and loved them. I might now try the readers since the eye surgery from 1984 is starting to slowly go by the wayside.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

We have a partnership with SeaVision if anyone is interested! They do an excellent job of using your favorite mask and adding lenses or you can use one of theirs!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users