• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is a community?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've been wondering lately about what "community" means. Lots of times the word is thrown around about "we are a community" or the old "it takes a village", but what does that really mean? What does "community" look like? When you want a community to belong to, what are you hoping to find, hoping to give, hoping to learn?

Just a question that's rolling around in the noggin'.

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hi Heidi!

Great question! Since I am prone to use the term community to describe our membership here, I will offer my perspective...

For me the terms community and neighborhood are interchangeable. Likeable, like-minded people who share common interests are all that is necessary to serve as a basis for congregating in fellowship and cheer. Today's technology has eliminated the traditional need for physical proximity; this in turn provides the opportunity for people of disparate cultures and experiences to sample our global porridge. Yes, there will always be bits of friction from brusque or boorish personalities, but those situations also work themselves out in time. The results may not always be favorable, but there WILL be favorable results; the opportunity to explore and inquire is what matters. :respect:

Of course I am also a nostalgic fool for classic quiet copses with picket fences, laughing kids, barking dogs (well, just not late at night! *grins*) and waves greeting you as you drive up the street to your house. :angel2:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users