• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Roatan Trip 2012 Report.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I had enough time today to start the report on this trip.!st Kamala, has done another terrific job handling all the activities and other duties.Pup entertained the group wonderfully.The reefs are in Great shape.Creatures abound.Seahorses, schools of Squid ,Moray's,Crab's,Lobsters,Nurse Sharks,etc.,etc.The Halloween Costume contest was Grand!!! From Jelly fish to Madussa & Lionfish....you know who you are...Scubaski did a great video of all our events..
I was glad to meet more of the SD family.I think a GREAT time was had by all..I'm sure there will be more additions to this report.
1 note,anyone who was on the shark dive and wanted the video & did not receive it.Please let me know.I seem to have a extra copy..BTW. I tried playing it on a regular video player and had trouble.It does play on the computer with out a cliche...

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 04 November 2012 - 07:12 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hi Greg, Thanks for the report. Always glad to hear of abundant critters!

Hopefully as other return and gear dries, they will put in their two cents worth. Don't forget to post pics too!! :teeth:

Glad you had a great time.

ScubaClint

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Overall it was a good trip. Media Luna is a relatively new resort, that does have a dive shop adjacent to it that provides this service to its customers. Most of the Villas were built in the past year. I booked a single room, and had the end unit on the far eastern side of the resort, overlooking the water. The king size bed was comfortable, plenty of hot water and a nice deck with a hammock. Even a flat screen TV with plenty of international channels as well as US network channels out of New York so keeping up with Hurricane Sandy was no problem.

Up on the hill in the middle of the resort was a large structure that housed the lobby, a rec room with pool tables, a ping pong table and fooseball. A workout room with new equipment was located there, and the wifi was in the lobby. The WIFI is about typical for the island. It worked most of the time and not the fastest either. I'm guessing its satellite.

Its attached to a large circular building that was stepped and served all of our meals. They were done buffet style with eggs to order at most breakfasts as well as a pasta station that was open on most lunches and dinner. There was also a coffee bar that served capaccinos. On the far end was a stage that had a sound system and was where Pup performed. Out behind the building was a deck that had an outdoor bar.

Back down on the western side of the hill back down to the water was the dive shop. Its a family run operation called Aqua Adventures. They had two large dive boats, a smaller dive boat and a fishing boat. Unfortunately one of the large dive boats was out of service the first two days. But worked well the remainder of the week. So we were split into two groups of approximately 22 divers each. Each boat had two dive masters. We did two boat dives in the morning and one boat dive in the afternoon. Shore diving was available anytime. The house site isn't Calvin's Crack, but is relatively close. The conditions under water were very good, with lots of coral. Saw plenty of marine life, from sea horses to a couple of eagle rays and turtles and plenty of varieties of fish.

One of the activities I did was getting my lionfish hunting license. Its a class that consists of a lecture that's about one hour on the impact of lionfish, how to kill them, etc. Then the next day they took us out and had us shoot coconuts. The test was being able to shoot 5 coconuts without impacting the reef. Everyone in my group passed, and didn't hear of anyone who failed. The class included a spear which you could donate back at the end of the week. We also received a license which is good for 2 years. I did kill a couple, but most of the time I left it to the true hunters in the group.

I took it easy in the evenings as I was a bit under the weather when I arrived and wanted to rest up for the diving. After we finished on Thursday, that night a group of us left the resort and went to resturant in French Harbor called Gios, which its specialty is fresh crab that was very good.

Friday a group of us went down to the west end. Other than that they have paved the road through town, it hasn't changed much. Its about a 1 hour drive from the resort. Having stayed there the last few years, it was like being home again. From there we took a ride to Jonesville, then a short boat ride to meet much of the rest of the group at a place called Hole in the Wall for steak and lobster. We hitched a ride on one of the dive boats back to the resort from there.

Overall it was a good trip with good people and good diving. However, I think I prefer a smaller, more intimate experience, and not sure if I would go on such a large trip with 45+ people, even as much as this was a great group of people to hang out for a week.

#4 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Echoing on both Greg and George, the week was fabulous!!!!!! The resort is nice and the diving was fabulous. Lots of PLF and other wonderful critters. I too got my license to kill the Lionfish and at the end of the week donated my "spear-pokey thingy" to the dive masters for them to use and get rid of those beautiful, tasty, nasty critters. The dive masters on our boat were fabulous pointing out the critters and guiding us along the way. Kamala does a great job of putting on these trips which take a lot of behind the scenes work to make them feasible. Hope to be going on a trip again real soon. It was lots of fun seeing the people I already knew and meeting new friends. Pup played and entertained us is the best fashion. I took a couple of side trips and on of the really fun ones was the ziplining. Fabulous time and lots of fun.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hey gang... still in transit home via Houston. (Ya just can't get to rural SC in one day sometimes...) but we'll be home late tonight!

I also have some great photos...and YES the marine life was AMAZING!!!

Can't wait to add more... kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Haloween Costume Flash Mob!!!

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#7 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I so wanted to go on this trip but I had some issues with work that would not allow me to go. Please post lots of pictures!!

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#8 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I am attaching these..The one of the Group is at Hole in the Wall..,The Devil diver is our surprise ???? Mr. Orca
Attached File  PICT0166.JPG   3.18MB   23 downloads

Attached File  PICT0170.JPG   4.42MB   38 downloads

Attached File  PICT0338.JPG   3.87MB   37 downloads

Attached File  PICT0089.JPG   4.49MB   28 downloads

Attached File  PICT0116.JPG   3.9MB   14 downloads

Attached File  PICT0246.JPG   3.79MB   19 downloads

Attached File  PICT0100.JPG   4MB   18 downloads

I especially enjoyed the Shark dive.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#9 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Broadcast Premier of "SingleDivers.com Full Moon Halloween Singles Week Party, Media Luna Resort, Roatan"

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thank you Stan! It rocks! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users