• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Azores

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cairo

Cairo

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:I lost count.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I found myself in Europe for a month and went diving in the Azores Islands. Which in itself is a pretty cool location, it reminded me of my time in Hawaii. Except a bit more European and bit more rough around the edges. But the scenery and landscape were to die for.

You know that moment during the safety brief when they assign buddies and you realize....you're the only person who speaks English? Luckily my Portuguese is okay and I was able to get things figured out. Either way, it was a bit rough with some old cable layers in the water that had turned into home for all kinds of marine life. Water temp I would pin somewhere around 70ish and all and all a solid dive. I don't think people ever randomly wander through there but hey should you ever find yourself with the opportunity to see it, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Plus beer is cheap.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

YEA!!!

Welcome back and with a trip report to boot! :cool1:

Sounds very interesting... should we consider a full blown trip there or passthru only?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 TigerSharkT

TigerSharkT

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:260

Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:20 PM

Resurrecting this very old thread because I am keen to do the Azores this year, especially after having just come back from its more easterly sister, Madeira. This is the package I am currently perusing: Adventure Package for Divers - CW Azores

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:29 PM

Resurrecting this very old thread because I am keen to do the Azores this year, especially after having just come back from its more easterly sister, Madeira. This is the package I am currently perusing: Adventure Package for Divers - CW Azores

Always great to visit old friends...ie. refresh old topics! Thanks and when are you going? Azores is on our radar but the water is cooler and I'm still trying to exhaust all the WARM WATER PLACES FIRST! :lol: 

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 06 January 2022 - 12:32 PM

:cool2:  looks interesting!!

#6 Cairo

Cairo

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:I lost count.

Posted 22 January 2022 - 07:20 AM

Thanks! 

Ok, so I kinda disappeared for along time but, still diving, and also single so there's that. From what I remember I was there in the summer months and I would say that the days could go from normal ocean weather to larger stuff especially off the North Coasts of the islands. The trade winds orbit around the Azores, that is why it was a major resupply point for Portuguese Navigators during the 1500s and so on. I did have a great time though and would happily go back when that trip comes around. The islands are kinda sleepy when it comes to any form of nightlife or stuff like that, but the scenery was gorgeous. My grandparents immigrated from the Azores in the mid 1940s, so it was a real treat for me to meet my cousins and hear stories. My father goes back every year and his description is that March and the Spring there is a lot of rain and so forth kinda gloomy. I don't remember the water temp in the summer but it wasn't my standard warm water "rashguard and boardshorts" dive routine. It wasn't awful cold either I went to the beach several times and hopped in. But I think after 20 minutes you're going to start feeling it at depth.

I also lived in Egypt and dove the heck out of that place for a couple years if or when that comes up and can provide any thoughts if that becomes a thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users