• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2013-07: .July 3-8,2013 Dive with SHARKS & WRECKS in NC's Graveyard of the Atlantic

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#166 liveandletdive

liveandletdive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/EA
  • Logged Dives:132

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks all for the information and advice - this trip will definitely be a test of my skills and out of my comfort zone; step one is always recognizing that and saying so! I am glad to hear that visibility is supposed to be good because that's my biggest obstacle and a major environmental condition that I really don't have any experience diving in. It wasn't causing me angst per se but I did want to voice that this trip is over my head a bit without some good guidance.

Two questions:
1. Are there any accoutrements I should be bringing with me? This isn't completely obvious to a tropical diver - you don't need much there besides basic skills and common sense - many places don't give you much freedom anyway.

2. What time is dinner? For me personally, there is no hunger like post-diving hunger. I can (and will) demolish a sandwich and be starving a 1/2 hour later.

I haven't really built out a full kit because I have storage issues as a Manhattan resident. But like I said on my very detailed form, I am doing this trip to see if I like more extreme conditions -in a moderated and controlled fashion - baby steps- enough to warrant going through learning more skills (read: spend a lot more money) so that I can dive my local waters. Thanks again guys! I'm really excited about this and I feel less bad now about being a newb.

Edited by liveandletdive, 11 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

aka Princess Assassin
"Computer, Air, Death" - the proper hunting of lionfish, 2013
"When you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

#167 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

IMPORTANT CONDITIONS UPDATE:

Good news. Vis has been improving 5-20ft daily since the first storm of the season. And "Bottom temp was 73 yesterday. 69 a week ago."

So water temps are on the rise and should be high 70's to low 80's for our trip! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#168 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

1. Are there any accoutrements I should be bringing with me? This isn't completely obvious to a tropical diver - you don't need much there besides basic skills and common sense - many places don't give you much freedom anyway.

NOTE: We can help anyone obtain the following if they need it.

1. SMB or safety sausage (We'll be far offshore with no land in sight so this is critical.)

2. Wreck reel and/or spool reel for your SMB or safety sausage so you can shoot the bag while doing your safety stop IF you get away from the line.

3. Jon line which allows you to hook to the anchor line or granny line under the boat and not float off if there is any current. (SD has these in stock for this trip.)

2. What time is dinner? For me personally, there is no hunger like post-diving hunger. I can (and will) demolish a sandwich and be starving a 1/2 hour later.

Dinner is usually in the 7pm range by the time people get back, shower and get ready to go eat. There is a Mexican place next to the hotel that you could get to much faster if hunger strikes and the need arises. Most dinners are usually with the group but ONLY the group dinner which we'll do usually the first day of diving, requests that everyone join us. After that you all are welcome to dine when and wherever you want. In the private forums we'll have people talk about who's in the 'early dinner group' and who's in the 'later dinner group'.

NOTE: I am setting up topics in the NC SPECIAL DISCUSSION FORUM so stay tuned! They will be things you really need to know and/or discuss. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#169 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

This area is my other home, so I am happy to help people with any specific needs.

Kamala, I don't carry a Jon line, mostly because I don't know how to make one, and haven't liked the ones I have seen for sale. Which ones do you carry? My DB for one trip had an awesome one, could hook both of us to the anchor line with one Jon line and plenty of breathing room. We took an extra long safety stop on the Duane with the current turning us into little flags, and were safe and secure. I have never been in current that strong here in NC.

I would add that if you HAVE two SMBs/DSMBs, and a reel/spool, bring both. If you only bring one, make it your biggest ones. Those little SMBs which are perfect for low current dives in the tropics can be hard for a boat captain to see in our waters. But mostly, if you are a dive buddy, practice GOOD buddy skills, more vigilantly than you might in the tropics.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#170 enjoy the deep

enjoy the deep

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ken aka Enjoy the Deep
Payments Summary To Date: We will post your payments as we receive them
NC FlyIn Pkg 5/4 or DriveIn Pkg 4/4 (TELL US WHICH PKG): Driving from Richmond Va anyone need to carpool from this direction
D/O or S/O:
D/O
Extra Days/Nights: 0
Nitrox Fills: no
Nitrox Rentals: no
Air Fills: yes if I can rent tanks locally
Air Rentals: yes if I can't rent tanks locally
Documents: SD Waiver: __x_ SD Survey__x_ - SD Ins Summary _x__ Emailed 6/12/2013
Dive Insurance Current: Name of Provider & Policy #
Trip Insurance CHOOSE A or B or C: c. I do not plan to buy trip insurance and will accept all losses accordingly
Flight Details: Driving
Other: Let us know if you have special dietary needs, gear rental needs, sight seeing needs, or want a "Dive Mentor aka Rent-A-Buddy"
Available Discounts (PLEASE DELETE THOSE THAT YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR): I think you should offer the discount to first responders c. I submitted my documents within 3 weeks of signing up for the trip, so no $75 document fee.
d. I am Active Duty Military in a country that fights for FREEDOM with the USA so I qualify for an add'l $50 off
e. I am a premier member of SD.com and I can send in my SD.com member rebate within 30 days after the trip for an additional $25 off.
  • WreckWench likes this

#171 enjoy the deep

enjoy the deep

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I live in Richmond,Va and will be driving. Anyone coming from nearby and want to carpool?

Ken

#172 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Welcome Ken!!! We are thrilled to have you join us! Can you clarify if you are active duty military? I think you are retired but just checking? ;)/>

Let me know what you decide on tanks. And may I SUGGEST you go with Nitrox. You will DOUBLE your bottom time with these square profiles. Check the bottom time for 80ft on air and nitrox. And yes the profiles are very square as the wrecks do not have a lot of relief to them so they sit pretty much on the bottom and unlike a reef...all the good stuff is at depth.

You can do the class in a couple of hours online (ask me for the link) and then do your practicals in NC i.e. how to analyize a tank, fill out nitrox logs etc.

formerly...

#173 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Welcome Ken!!! We are thrilled to have you join us! Can you clarify if you are active duty military? I think you are retired but just checking? Posted Image

Let me know what you decide on tanks. And may I SUGGEST you go with Nitrox. You will DOUBLE your bottom time with these square profiles. Check the bottom time for 80ft on air and nitrox. And yes the profiles are very square as the wrecks do not have a lot of relief to them so they sit pretty much on the bottom and unlike a reef...all the good stuff is at depth.

You can do the class in a couple of hours online (ask me for the link) and then do your practicals in NC i.e. how to analyize a tank, fill out nitrox logs etc.

What Kamala said. I did my first wreck dive on the Papoose on air. Best...I don't have my tables with me...11 minutes of my life?
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#174 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Payment Update:
1) Ken aka enjoythedeep: ww has received your deposit of $300 + $9 cc fee! :thankyou:/>

#175 sparky103

sparky103

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

NAME aka Sparky103
Payments Summary To Date: We will post your payments as we receive them
NC FlyIn Pkg 5/4 or DriveIn Pkg 4/4 (TELL US WHICH PKG):Drive
D/O or S/O: CHOOSE Double or Single Occupancy : D/O
Extra Days/Nights: # of extra nites you plan to stay - 1 please

Bringing my filled Nitrox tanks and weights

Nitrox Fills: yes
Nitrox Rentals: no
Air Fills: no
Air Rentals: no
Documents: SD Waiver: ___ SD Survey___ - SD Ins Summary ___ List when Rec'd & Faxed to SD.com
Dive Insurance Current: Name of Provider & Policy #DAN-1799249
Trip Insurance CHOOSE A or B or C:
a. I have insurance that covers this trip.yes
b. I will purchase trip insurance to cover this trip
c. I do not plan to buy trip insurance and will accept all losses accordingly
Flight Details: Tell us your flight details here (Must arrive by 3pm on 3rd and depart 5pm or later on 8th) Driving
Other: Let us know if you have special dietary needs, gear rental needs, sight seeing needs, or want a "Dive Mentor aka Rent-A-Buddy"
Available Discounts (PLEASE DELETE THOSE THAT YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR):

c. I submitted my documents within 3 weeks of signing up for the trip, so no $75 document fee.

e. I am a premier member of SD.com and I can send in my SD.com member rebate within 30 days after the trip for an additional $25 off.
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#176 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

NAME / SCREEN NAME Jeff aka Sparky103

Look who comes sliding across home plate to beat the throw and take the last seat!! :lmao: Welcome aboard the NC Reunion Express, Sparkster!!
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#177 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hey Brad...crazy things happen in the final inning...

1. Sparky was already on the trip so in effect he did not take the last spot.
2. Derek was not on the list but signed up so he did take the last spot.
3. One of our divers has had a family matter arise that has opened their spot up so we have 1 spot left...still.
4. Another diver's friend just spoke to me on the phone and wants the 'new' now last spot...

SO NOW FOLKS!!! WE ARE FULL!!! :wakawaka:

formerly...

#178 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Congrats on filling up Kamala! :clapping:/>I wish I could have fit this one into my 2013 dance card. Hope you do this trip again in the near future :cheerleader:/>

#179 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Thank you Jose...its hard to be in a business where you must hit 1000 to break even...but hey...WE ARE DIVING!!! :cool1:

As for offering NC again...yes we typically do it every 2-3 years... so hopefully people will want to go again as I NEVER TIRE OF IT!!! ;)

formerly...

#180 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

WRECKS UPDATE: (PLEASE USE THE PRIVATE FORUM TO DISCUSS WHICH YOU WANT TO SEE!)

North Carolina is heralded as one of North America's premier diving locations. With a large variety of shipwrecks laying off the coast, the waters laying off our coast are aptly known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic." Live bottom areas provide otheropportunities for scuba diving. Inside the barrier islands rock jetties and bridges provide even more areas for underwater exploration.

NOTE: The BEST wrecks are the 'offshore in blue water wrecks' approx 80-120 ft and the 'far offshore in blue water but require a small fuel surchg' approx 130+ feet. The inshore wrecks are in cooler (up to 5 degrees colder) and greener (up to 30-50% less vis) water as the Gulf Stream does not travel completely to land. We typically dive the inshore wrecks if conditions do not allow us to dive the premium blue water 'offshore' wrecks. I will note each wreck below as to whether inshore or offshore or far offshore. The only plus to diving inshore wrecks is they are typically shallower and therefore you'll get more bottom time on them. They may also be scattered wrecks to prevent threats to shipping so do not always resemble a 'wreck' as we think of them. The 'offshore' wrecks do have the typical 'wreck look' to them

The U-352 - SIGNATURE NC WRECK - Offshore
A German Submarine (VII-C Class) 218 feet long was sunk April 9, 1942 by the United States Coast Guard Cutter Icarus. This vessel is possibly the most intact and unique wreck in this area. This is the signature dive in the Morehead City area. The maximum depth of the dive is 115 feet.

The PAPOOSE - SIGNATURE NC WRECK - Offshore
An American Tanker 412 feet in length, she was torpedoed & sunk on March 3, 1942 by the German Submarine U-124. The vessel is intact & upside down with the hull rising approximately 30 feet off the bottom. Some believe that this wreck is a breeding ground for Atlantic Sand Tiger Sharks. The depth of dive is approximately 125 feet.

The SHURZ - SIGNATURE NC WRECK & MUST SEE FOR 1-2 Dives!- Offshore
A WW1 German Cruiser, she was captured and refitted by the U.S. near the outbreak off the war. On June 21, 1918 she sank after colliding with the S.S. Florida. Time has taken a heavy toll on this shipwreck. The deck cannons, boilers, & engines are the remaining structures visible making this an excellent dive. Many artifacts are still being recovered. This one of the prettiest dives South of Cape Lookout !! Depth of dive is about 110 feet.

The AEOLUS - Offshore and FULL OF SHARKS
A U.S. Cable Layer 439 feet long, she was sank as an "Artificial Reef" and is broken into three major sections. The bow is resting on its port side, the midsection is askew, and the stern section is sitting upright. Some sections have a relief that come within 55 feet of the surface. Maximum depth of dive is around 120 feet.

The HUTTON - Inshore
An American Oil Tanker 435 feet long, the Hutton was torpedoed & sunk on March 18, 1942 by the German Sub U-124. Although the ship is upright, it was destroyed to a depth of 40 feet. Depth of dive is approximately 70 feet.

The SULOIDE - Inshore
A Brazilian freighter 338 feet long, this ship was sank on March 26, 1943 after colliding with the sunken hull of the Hutton. The vessel is upright but "Cable Dragging" by the U.S.C.G. Vigilant brought this ship to a minimum depth of 40 feet below the surface. Depth of dive is near 65 feet.

The SENATEUR DUHAMMEL - Inshore
A converted British armed Trawler 192 feet in length, she sank after colliding with the USS Semmes on April 6, 1942. This vessel was destroyed by the U.S.C.G. Vigilant and is relatively flat to the bottom as she was a hazard to ship navigation.

[There's no season on North Carolina Spiny Lobster.]

The NAECO - Far Offshore with Fuel Surchg of $25 p/p (subject to chg) applies to visit this wreck
An American Oil Tanker 411 feet long, this vessel was torpedoed & sank by the German Submarine U-124 on March 23, 1942. This wreck is broken in two making each section a separate dive. Although it is sitting upright & diving is excellent, due to the depth & distance from shore this is not normally dove. Special charters can be arranged. Advanced computer divers are preferred. Depth of dive is near 140 feet.

The HARDEES Reef - Inshore Wreck
This Yard Oiler, 174 feet long, was sank as an artificial reef. The vessel is upright & intact. It is considered a very easy dive. Depth of dive is around 100 feet.

The ATLAS - Offshore Wreck
An American Oil Tanker 430 feet long, it was torpedoed & sank by the German Sub U-552 on April 9, 1942. The vessel is upright & semi-intact as it is broken into 3 pieces with the upper piece of structure rising to within 90 feet of the surface. This wreck hosts a large number of Atlantic Sand Tiger sharks, but visibility may be less than what is found on the southside wrecks. Depth of dive is approximately 125 feet.

The CARIBESEA - Offshore Wreck
An American Freighter 251 feet in length, the ship was torpedoed & sunk by the German Sub U-158. The wreck is upright but subsequent attacks by depth charges during the war years has leveled most of the wreck except for the Bow section. This is one of the best dives in the area with a small contingent of Atlantic Sand Tiger sharks that seem to have made this wreck their home!! Artifacts are still being recovered off this wreck. The depth of dive is around 80 feet.

The ASHKABAD - Inshore Wreck
This Russian Oil Tanker 400 feet long was torpedoed & sank by the German Sub U-402 on April 29, 1942. This wreck was demolished by explosives to a depth of 40 feet making this a most picturesque dive. Recently, hurricanes have uncovered new sections of this wreck and many artifacts are being discovered. Depth of dive is approximately 55 feet.

The AMAGANSANT - Offshore & Possibly Far Offshore?
A 140 feet long Menhaden boat sank during a storm. She was intact & laying on her starboard side. In June of 1995, this vessel was torn apart somehow & the Bow section now sits pointed upward. Large grouper can be found here as well as many tropical fish. Depth of dive is approximately. 125 feet.

The PORTLAND - Inshore Wreck
A Panamanian Freighter 289 feet long, she sank after running aground. The vessel is intact & considered a World Class dive but due to the vicinity of the shoals at Cape Lookout, visibility can range from 50 feet to as little as 5 inches depending on the wind direction. This is an excellent dive when the winds are from the N.E. or the N.W. Depth of dive is about 55 feet.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users