• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving Too Safe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Interesting take from this guys blog.

http://gearpatrol.co...iving-too-safe/
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#2 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Interesting take from this guys blog.
http://gearpatrol.co...iving-too-safe/

Thanks for the link. It's definitely an interesting article and I have to say for the most part I agree with what he says.

I'm not hooked on reading the other articles on that website. Great information on tons of different gear.

#3 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

The reason its a sport of rich old guys is because frankly, it isn't cheap. I look at it the same way I look at my other sport, downhill skiing. ITs a sport you need to travel to go to do, gets me out in the winter months and certainly has its extreme potential, but like Scuba, as equipment has improved, its much safer and easier than it was back 50 years ago.

Living here in Colorado, I see a steady stream a people getting certified, most with a destination trip to like Hawaii already planned. So I don't think its a shortage of people trying scuba diving. But most of these divers will dive on their trip, and then won't dive again, or maybe 10 years later on another trip to a tropical destination.

The fact is that we are small minority, those who enjoy the sport enough to make it part of lives on a regular basis. We go on trips specifically to go diving, and when we get back immediately start looking into when we are going next.

Not sure how trying to get it branded as an extreme sport would solve this problem. Either it hooks you or not.

Edited by georoc01, 30 August 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#4 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

George I agree. But, I did make it work when I was not a "rich old guy." Flea bag motels in CZM or cheap trips to Key Largo always seemed to make it work somehow.

I guess diving can be as extreme as you want it but the PADI/NAUI/SSI oligarchy is not about that. They are about the vision of clear warm water and no real danger. OK marketing strategy I guess but the guys has a point when it comes to the younger generation. Frankly, I was attracted to it because of the danger. Still am kinda, even though I am not 25 anymore.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#5 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Sure there is plenty of low vis diving here in Colorado, whether its Aurora or Chatfield reservoir, or if you want some clearer diving there are plenty of cold mountain lakes at altitude, and I know of a dive shop up in Vernal Utah that sponsors spearfishing competitions every weekend if you are into that as well as of course ice diving in the winter.

But to be honest, its much easier to sell someone on a 10 foot aquarium dive for $200 than it is to do the things above.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,696 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

I think the thrill and danger and mystic and thrill...whoops said that one already of Sea Hunt, Bond movies where they show diving, yes even free diving ARE A HUGE PART OF THE APPEAL. I think people are attracted to the 'edge' and being able to either flirt with it or go over it.

So I do think the industry has watered down the sport both in actual content AND in the approach they use for attracting divers.

However those of us who grew up on the aforementioned representations of diving are NOW the ones that can afford it and no its not a poor person's sport. And while we are intrigued by the danger and the sizzle... most of us prefer the ease and simplicity.

Then again... the surge in technical diving does show that we ARE attracted to the danger element and being able to do something that a 12 year can NOT!!!
  • ChumShiver likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm a Jacques Cousteau baby for sure. It's like the kids watching Michael phelps now. I fell in love with diving because of JC Posted Image

Edited by Kimbuddha, 31 August 2013 - 08:50 PM.

If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users