• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

cuba

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ggund

ggund

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

I am a brand new member - A senior member - BUT anyone interested in diving and visiting CUBA? A great country and resonable.

#2 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:01 PM

Just curious how would an American on an US Passport travel to Cuba, as far as I know there are still restrictions. Other then maybe going back door via Canada, or through one of the islands and hope you don't get caught. Just curious as I really didn't think Americans were free to travel there yet and spend money.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:17 PM

Americans CAN still travel to Cuba and even spend money if they are on a research or educational visa. These can be obtained, and they are not as difficult to get as one might think. One of my dive buddies went there this year with an educational group and was able to get in a few dives while there.

Dr. Bill

#4 desksgt

desksgt

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Logged Dives:85

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:00 AM

I for one would love to dive in Cuba. :birthday:
Contrary to popular belief, Pennsylvania is NOT where they make pencils!

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:18 AM

So Bill, how would one go about getting around the restrictions legally?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:56 AM

Walter,

Good question. Bill could probably legitimately fall into the category he mentions. I for one am not the type to break the rules (gosh the 2 times I parked in a no paking by mistake, I got parking tickets). However the rest of us might have trouble qualifying legally with his option.

However I think it would be a cool place to dive.

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:02 AM

Linda,

It's quite easy to circumvent the rules illegally and not get caught. While I strongly disagree with this particular law, I plan to comply until it's changed. OTOH, I could likely qualify as a research assistant.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:27 AM

So Bill, how would one go about getting around the restrictions legally?

Move to Canada..... Cuba is a favorite vacation spot for many Canadians.:birthday: :P :cool2:

#9 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:32 AM

I heard they were (or at least thinking of) increasing the INS officials specifically looking for people illegally going to Cuba via a 2nd country (e.g. Canada and Mexico specifically)

...being European I don't have such restrictions (although probably will not try in the near future as it may impact my US visa)

Getting a reseach / education visa or permit to visit would be an interesting slant - I wonder if a dive club could apply and do a reef reseach trip.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Move to Canada..... Cuba is a favorite vacation spot for many Canadians.

That wouldn't do it as the law applies to US citizens regardless of their country of residence. (or was that an invitation?)

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:20 AM

Nope, not even interested. I have no problem with the existing law. I feel for the Cubans, but I am not interested in supporting the Cuban government with my tourist dollars. If I were really, and genuinely doing research, i.e. not a make-work job, then I would go.

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

Personally I have strongly disagreed with this law, but adhere to it (largely ot of concern for the economic and other penalties that might be imposed). I remember my feelings during the Cuban missile crisis... I thought it was hypocritical for my country under Kennedy to object to missiles in Cuba when we had ours in Turkey pointed at the former USSR.

As for visiting legally, the requirements for educational or cultural exchanges are not that restrictive. My dive buddy Kathy went with a woman from SoCal who organizes many such trips a year. The qualifications are not very restrictive, so there are indeed legal ways to go under these visas. They are accepted by our government (which established them in the first place).

The existing law does not forbid US citizens from visiting Cuba, it prevents them from spending money there (except for the visa exceptions I've mentioned).

Of course one can also go dive Cuba from another country such as Mexico. My understanding is that Mexican vessels are allowed into Cuban territorial waters. You can take a liveaboard trip from Mexico that takes you into Cuban waters and allows you to dive to your heart's content. Of course these trips do not make landfall in Cuba and therefore there is no exchange of money with the Cuban people or government.

Dr. Bill

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I want to be, so have these "facts" checked legally before proceeding on your own!

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:53 AM

I have no problem with the existing law. I feel for the Cubans, but I am not interested in supporting the Cuban government with my tourist dollars.

My problem with the law is it singles out Cuba. Why should the laws not target all communist countries equally? Viet Nam isn't even singled out in this manner.

Bill, part of the settlement of the Cuban missle crisis was our removal of missles from Turkey.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:16 AM

My problem with the law is it singles out Cuba. Why should the laws not target all communist countries equally? Viet Nam isn't even singled out in this manner.

You are right, Walter. I would not want to go to Vietnam either. Poor countries, fine. Repressive governments, no. In high school I had a friend that escaped from N. Vietnam. Awful stories.

I am so glad the cold war is over. I remember as a kid being pleased that I lived at the third most important nuclear target in the U.S. If it happened, it would be over quick for me.

#15 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

How is the diving in Cuba? Anything special??
Life's a beach, then you dive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users