• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

cuba

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:38 PM

Bill, part of the settlement of the Cuban missle crisis was our removal of missles from Turkey.

Yep, I realize that... but to force the issue when we ourselves were doing the same thing was what bothered me. Removal of the missiles from both locations was a reasonably equitable settlement.

As for visiting communist countries, I plan to visit both China and Vietnam to dive and get a better feel for the cultures there. I have friends from both countries (and recently) who grew up with communism. It was interesting to hear my friend Sheena say that tere is far more propaganda in the USA than there was in China under Mao. I cannot personally verify that because I have yet to live in both cultures.

Our government certainly doesn't seem to mind corporate entities doing business with the two countries. And there is no question that nascent capitalism is on the rise in both as well.

Dr. Bill

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:11 PM

I don't know about China, but my ex-wife grew up in the Soviet Union. We didn't have more propaganda, but ours was much better and more believable (or maybe Americans are more gullible than Russians). While the Soviets had as much propaganda, ours was more effective.

Most of us believed Russians were always evil, that Russian women were huge and very unattractive. That was a direct result of American propaganda. When I was in the USSR, I discovered Russians are wonderful people. They are extremely friendly and great hosts. Russian women are often incredibly beautiful. Russians had similar images projected about us, but they didn't buy it. They loved Americans.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

i've been to cuba....illegally. this was in 1996, before they really clamped down on us going over there...

we made reservations through a canadian travel agency, flew to cancun, and caught an "air cuba" death trap old russian plane to fly into havana. from there we went to isla de juventud , an island south of cuba (which got hit pretty bad in the last round of hurricanes).

the diving where we were was ok....pretty empty. it took over an hour to get to the sites, and we could only do 2 dives while there because the dive boat had to be in the harbor by a certain time.
but while we were diving, the boat captain would buy fresh lobster from a nearby fishing boat and cook them...then we came up and had hot, juicy lobster that we ate with our hand, dipping in it garlicy melted butter. it was pretty damn cool.

the dm's were wonderful...very attentive. my friends had been there before, so they knew the staff ....we ended bring a ton of clothes and medical supplies for them.

i'd have to dig up that log book cuz i don't remember any particular site. it seemed pretty carribbean to me.

have i gone back? no. it was such a pain in the ass to go and come back, trying to explain to mexican immigration not to stamp our passports with an entry stamp....and only getting to do 2 dives a day...old jaded me didn't think it was worth the trouble.

but that was juventud. we didn't dive vera dera (?) or any of the northern or eastern areas. maybe they're better....

#19 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

Sounds like you had quite the adventure!!!
Life's a beach, then you dive!

#20 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:31 AM

the best part was coming home:

when we got to mexico, i tried to explain to the immigration officer in broken spanglish that americans can't be in cuba. i said something like "no stampe mi passporte....es no permisso (my apologies to my latino friends out there!)"

the guy gave me a sly look.
"ohhhhh... si...." , he said. "defecto?????"

he thought i was defecting to mexico.

it took a while to explain THAT one!!
obviously, it was resolved without incident, and i gave the guy a big kiss and went on home.

i still laugh at that!

#21 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:11 PM

I don't know about China, but my ex-wife grew up in the Soviet Union.  We didn't have more propaganda, but ours was much better and more believable (or maybe Americans are more gullible than Russians).  While the Soviets had as much propaganda, ours was more effective. 

Most of us believed Russians were always evil, that Russian women were huge and very unattractive.  That was a direct result of American propaganda.  When I was in the USSR, I discovered Russians are wonderful people.  They are extremely friendly and great hosts.  Russian women are often incredibly beautiful.  Russians had similar images projected about us, but they didn't buy it.  They loved Americans.

One of my poli-sci friends actually did a paper in college on "Boris and Natasha (of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame) as Cold War Propaganda" Her take was pretty fascinating.

Walter's right, some of the hottest women I've seen have been from Eastern Europe, by the way.

And TF, you've had a pretty cool life!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

BTW, many Russians don't recognize some Russian names when pronounced by Americans. We screw them up royally. Boris is Bo-rees' not Bor'-is. Ivan is E-van' not I'-van.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:22 PM

I agree on the Eastern European women. In fact one of them co-stars in my video "In Search of the Elusive BlackSea Bass." She plays a Russian scientist who goes down in a submersible with me to look for the "Black Sea" Bass. She was awesome, but not a diver.

Dr. Bill

#24 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:58 AM

HAD?????

oh my god...did i CROAK while i was away???????

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:54 AM

Depends on who heard you singing... :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:46 PM

I agree on the Eastern European women. In fact one of them co-stars in my video "In Search of the Elusive BlackSea Bass." She plays a Russian scientist who goes down in a submersible with me to look for the "Black Sea" Bass. She was awesome, but not a diver.

Dr. Bill

I think I saw that .... wasn't it a Vivid Picture? :o
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#27 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:47 PM

HAD?????

I meant "so far"!

#28 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

whew.

i had to check the local obits....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users