• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Guess which cities charge VISITORS the most taxes??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Travelers pay more tax in Chicago than any other U.S. city according to Travel Mole

The U.S. cities where travelers incur the highest total tax burden have been named and shamed.

Research by the GBTA Foundation, the education and research arm of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), reveals travelers to Chicago have the highest total tax burden in central city locations.

The research looked at general sales taxes and discriminatory travel taxes to compile the list.

Taxes on elements such as hotel lodging, car rentals and restaurant meal all amount to $41.04 per day for a traveler in Chicago.

Second on the highest total tax burden list is New York ($38.65), followed by Minneapolis ($36.70); Kansas City ($36.61) and Indianapolis ($36).

Cleveland, OH; Boston; Seattle; Nashville and Houston make up the rest of the top-10, with single day travel taxes ranging from $34.16 to $35.41.

GBTA says the burden of these taxes fall on the traveler, yet the money generated is "regularly used to fund local projects unrelated to tourism and business travel".

The top 10 U.S. cities where travelers incur the lowest total tax burden in central city locations, factoring in general sales taxes and discriminatory travel taxes, are: Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers and West Palm Beach, all in Florida, (all $22.61); Detroit ($22.80) and Portland, OR ($22.86).

Orange County, CA; Burbank CA; Honolulu; Ontario and Orlando make up the rest of the top-10, with taxes ranging from $23.61-$24.94.

When looking at discriminatory travel taxes - those imposed specifically on travel services - Portland, OR has the highest, followed by Boston; Indianapolis; Minneapolis and Chicago.

New York, Washington, DC; Kansas City, Charlotte and Milwaukee make up the rest of the top-10.

The top-10 cities with the lowest discriminatory travel taxes are all in either California or Florida, with Burbank, CA, the lowest in the country.

GBTA Foundation vice president of research Joseph Bates said: "Municipalities are under pressure to raise revenue wherever they can, but imposing too heavy a tax burden on business travel is a shortsighted strategy.

"With taxes rising in every area of society, companies and travel managers are taking an increasingly hard look at the price they're being asked to pay to visit any given city or region."

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

link?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Seems strange that Nevada, who's entire tax system is based upon visitor taxes, isn't there. Wonder if they included gaming taxes in their study?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users