• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wreck Diving in NC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZenKim

ZenKim

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:03 PM

Hi All!

I don't know about you, but my favorite dive destination is North Carolina. I love to dive the wrecks. I have been to quite a few of them, but still haven't been on the most important to me personally. The U-85.
Why is it so important to me? You ask......... Well my grandfather, Frank B. Miller was a navy diver in WWII and when the U-85 was sunk off the coast of NC, he was the diver that first entered the sub. He pulled all of the German sailors off and brought them up. I grew up on his stories about that wreck and the other dive experiences that he had. Now I want to dive the U-85.
Has anyone out there been on the U-85? I have heard that there is not much left and would like any information you may have. I know it is deep and cold, so I will probably wait until I get drysuit cerification. Any thoughts on the subject?

ZenKim

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:13 AM

Kim,

That's a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

I love wrecks as well and am looking forward to diving some of them off North Carolina's cost this summer.

I wish I had some details on U-85 for you.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:13 PM

I know you are diving Hatteras this year...what were the dates again? Since I was planning a trip to NC for singles...we might see about doing Hatteras for the weekend July 23-25/26 to try and dive the U-85. I have people interested in doing a singles trip this weekend so can you join us for that date and perhaps we try to dive Hatteras? ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 ZenKim

ZenKim

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:25 PM

Hi WreckWench,
I had already reserved that weekend for a trip with you. The other weekends on Red, Wet and Blue I, unfortunately am unavailable. Darn it!!! I was looking forward to diving with you again!!! Please let me know if you schedule something.

ZenKim

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:02 PM

I'm looking forward to going back again.

This is a bigger trip for me, flying in from Texas and all - somewhat as challenging as flying to anywhere I dive, anyway. I'm going to save myself for the October party!

don!

Edited by DandyDon, 19 March 2004 - 01:02 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

My brother also lives in Virginia. We were recently talking about meeting in NC for some wreck dives this summer.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:41 PM

Hey, Kim,

I bet listening to your grandfather's diving stories was very interesting. Probably part of the reason you took it up yourself? After seeing your post I read up on the U-85 in a great book called Shipwrecks: Diving the Graveyard of the Atlantic. The story of how the U-85 went down is pretty interesting. The Americans were still pretty inexperienced in warfare in home waters at that time, and rather than taking in any of the 29 Germans floating in lifejackets on the surface, they set off another depth charge, just in case, killing all remaining survivors.

Like you, I love diving the wrecks off the Carolina coast but also have not been on the U-85. The book confirms what you say about currents and cold. Let us know if you end up going. That'll be an interesting trip report.

:twist:
coppermaus

#8 overseas

overseas

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Board Status:im here
  • Cert Level:Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:46 AM

I have dove both the u-85 and the u-352 both in NC. The u-85 can get down right cold ( 50+-)and had a max depth of around 100 feet. The U-352, is in deeper water max depth around 120 i belive. Both wrecks are in bad shape, but they are still some great dives. Try to find a small charter to take you out ( they are all i will use) several of the large cattle boats run out there, but then the site is way over crowded since there is nothing there but a smll submarine and mud.

#9 VaScubaGirl

VaScubaGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:39 PM

Y'all really do need to come on out and dive the Graveyard with us. I agree with ZenKim...the wrecks off of NC are amazing. The water is generally warm and clear thanks to the jet stream and the wildlife and artificial reefs are great. In general, it's more likely to see bigger wildlife there than where you see in Florida and Cozumel. :teeth:
Follow your bliss, just don't follow it too closely in case it stops suddenly!

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:55 PM

Y'all really do need to come on out and dive the Graveyard with us.

Sounds good to me.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:51 PM

I have dove both the u-85 and the u-352 both in NC. The u-85 can get down right cold ( 50+-)and had a max depth of around 100 feet. The U-352, is in deeper water max depth around 120 i belive. Both wrecks are in bad shape, but they are still some great dives. Try to find a small charter to take you out ( they are all i will use) several of the large cattle boats run out there, but then the site is way over crowded since there is nothing there but a smll submarine and mud.

Hi....hopefully you'll post in our intro section...we'd love for you to tell us more about yourself! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

Well you all are in luck...just so happens I have a number of trips to NC you can join me on:

Memorial Day 5-29-31 diving days (1 spot left)
July 2-5 diving days SINGLES TRIP (14 spots left)
Aug 13-15 diving days (16 spots left)
Aug 27-29 diving days (15 spots left)
Oct 1-3 diving days SINGLES TRIP (14 spots left)

Just so you know...spots fill fast because I can have an entire group come in and take the boat. In fact, more then likely the first trip in Aug will go away this week but I'm not sure.

Pkg includes diving, hotel, bbq dinner first day of diving with beer and wine, air 80 rentals for fly in divers, lead and belts if needed, transfer from RDU airport to MoreHead City, breakfast and lunch daily on the boat, etc. Pricing will be in the trips section shortly.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users