• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Widow Maker

a second chance at life

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

The Widow Maker

I now celebrate 2 birth dates, the date my mother gave birth, and the day my original life ended, and my 2nd life, after the widow maker began.

I don’t remember much about that morning, but from what others have told me, and the evidence of the moments around 11 am that morning, and the following 5 days is the story of my rebirth. Apparently, I had been trimming some limbs after the previous nights’ storm. I must’ve noticed an unfamiliar feeling, stopping my work, and placing the first call/message to the union’s business agent, informing her I wouldn’t be able make it to work. Immediately after, I called 9-1-1. At some point between the 9-1-1 call and the arrival of the EMT’s, 6-1/2 minutes later, my heart & breathing stopped. I was trying to get to the recliner in the living room, but fell into the table next to it, breaking the sun glasses I was wearing and bruising the area around my right eye. The EMT’s revived me, and transported me to the nearest hospital. The cardiologist, Dr. Gandhi [no bs], determined there was blockage of the left descending coronary artery, a condition known as ‘the widow maker’. A stent was inserted to open the artery. Since there was concern over the loss of brain function, they induced a coma state by dropping my body temperature to 91 degrees for the next 3 days, then gradually warming me to normal. I spent a total of 5 days in ICU, and another 3 days in a room, to monitor my vitals and treat the pneumonia that had developed. Before I left ICU, the ER nurses who worked on me, came for a short visit, we each expressed our happiness of the outcome of my treatment. Before I was discharged, I returned to the ICU to thank the entire staff of the ICU for their efforts in securing my 2nd birthday, which I will celebrate along with my original one.

Through everyone’s efforts, I was granted a second life, for which I shall be eternally grateful.

• MNJoe and Cajun Diver like this

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Bill Greg called to tell me the news and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo blessed that you are ok. I have been sending many prayers your way and they are working!

I am so thrilled you are ok! All my love, Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Man, what a harrowing experience - glad you made it through. Your daughter's FB posts kept myself and many others apprised and prayerful - prayers continue for as full as recovery as you can manage!

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

Bill I'm so glad you beat the widow maker!! I've been following Erica's posts as well. Get well soon and I hope to see you on a trip in the near future!!

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#5 DiverDiva

DiverDiva

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:200 - 300

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'm new here, but glad to hear you are ok.  My Daddy has 3 stents, they saved his life.  Those same three arteries called "the widowmaker" - they were 90% blocked.  Luckily Daddy noticed a problem before he had a heart attack, so there was no damage to his heart.

#6 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

Bill, adding my thoughts and prayers your direction.  Glad you will now be able to celebrate 2 birthdays and hope you can come and play soon. :angel2:

#7 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

Glad to hear you're ok Bill! Hope you have a good and speedy recovery!

#8 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

So glad to hear that you are pulling through. Thoughts and prayers are continuing to be sent your way. 

#9 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

Bill, I'm glad you made it through.  It does not seem like it sometimes but any day you can remember is a good day.

#10 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Bill, Not sure you remember me from Truk I,  but WOW! As you may know these situations are what I have done for a living for the last 23 years and I LOVE hearing when a SYSTEM comes together to save a life. Sounds like you live in a great place with great pre-hospital as well as hospital cardiac care.

Make the most. Hope to see you back in the water.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#11 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

Bill, Not sure you remember me from Truk I,  but WOW! As you may know these situations are what I have done for a living for the last 23 years and I LOVE hearing when a SYSTEM comes together to save a life. Sounds like you live in a great place with great pre-hospital as well as hospital cardiac care.

Yes, Fred, I remember the Truk trip.

I was lucky to retain my memory and mental faculties through this incident. Went to the firehouse today, to thank the EMT-s and firemen for reviving me, and getting me to the hospital so quickly. They really did a job[CPR] on me, my ribs are just now getting back to normal, almost pain free. They told me they found me in my recliner, with the phone still in my hand, but no heart rate or respirations.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#12 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Yes, Fred, I remember the Truk trip.

I was lucky to retain my memory and mental faculties through this incident. Went to the firehouse today, to thank the EMT-s and firemen for reviving me, and getting me to the hospital so quickly. They really did a job[CPR] on me, my ribs are just now getting back to normal, almost pain free. They told me they found me in my recliner, with the phone still in my hand, but no heart rate or respirations.

I know from experience that you made their day by doing that!!!

So get healthy and get wet!!

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users