• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Are US Based Carriers FINALLY Improving? by Josh Lew July 20, 2016

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

Are American carriers improving? New in-flight offerings, rising quality ratings and better on-time performance seem to suggest that major U.S.-based carriers are focused on creating a better product, and they are succeeding on some levels.

Better, but still not the best

Do they still lag behind the world’s best carriers? Yes.

According to the most recent ratings from research firm Skytrax, Delta is the US legacy carrier with the best product overall. However, it came in in 35th place in the worldwide rankings. Top international airlines from Europe (Air France, Lufthansa), East Asia (EVA, Singapore Air and Cathay Pacific) and the Middle East (Qatar, Etihad and Emirates) all finished well ahead of Delta, while its legacy peers, United and American, finished well back in the pack at numbers 68 and 77, respectively. 

Many people put a lot of stock in the Skytrax ratings because they are based on worldwide passenger surveys. Though Delta finished behind its international competitors, it did improve from 45th place last year, one of the biggest year-on-year improvements in the entire survey. American Airlines has also improved by 12 spots over the past two surveys. These jumps pretty much encapsulates where U.S. airlines currently sit in terms of quality: they are still lagging behind the industry leaders, but they are getting better. 

Quality matters

One of the complaints included in a recent letter from American Airlines pilots to CEO Doug Parker was about how they were tired of apologizing to passengers for AA’s “embarrassing" product. Parker responded by saying that improvement after the merger with US Airways would take time and that changes would have to take place from the ground up. 

The bad news is that even CEOs like Doug Parker and United’s Oscar Munoz admit that changes will take time. The good news is that they seem to agree that focusing on the fundamentals is a necessary first step. Their goal is to make lasting improvements, not to provide quick fixes. 

Baby steps

Earlier this year, American and United both announced that they were offering free snacks on domestic flights. Delta already did this, but the other two airlines had stopped. This was a very small improvement, but it showed that legacy carriers were taking steps to improve in comparison to low cost carriers (who charge for everything) and they were aware that providing certain extra services for all passengers would improve their image. 

Delta Airlines has also shown that getting better at the fundamentals is possible. Once one of the industry’s least punctual airlines, Delta now sits near the top of the on-time rankings month after month. It had the fewest cancellations of any U.S. carrier in May, and more than 88 percent of its flights arrived on time (within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival time) during that month. 

Making employees happy

All three legacy carriers are in the process of giving their employees new contracts. United’s pilots received a record deal earlier this year, and the airline recently agreed to a new contract with its flight attendants. American Airlines has also negotiated new contracts with many of its employees. 

United CEO Oscar Munoz has said that having good employee relations is a fundamental building block for his airline. Getting them to buy into what the airline is doing is an important part of getting them to provide good customer service to fliers. 

READMORE: American Airlines CEO Promises Big Changes Ahead

Reinvesting profits

Another promising trend is that airlines seem to be reinvesting some of their profits from 2015. American Airlines has been improving its airport lounges, and also has launched a major project in partnership with OTG to improve the terminals at its hubs in Houston and Philadelphia with renovations and free iPads for waiting fliers. 

Delta has been segmenting its cabins by adding premium economy class (Comfort +) and also offering no frills economy fares. United has made one of the biggest moves of all, launching a new business class (Polaris) on its wide-body aircraft and also improving the economy class seating on new planes. 

Competing on quality, not price

The improvements will probably come faster if airlines continue to make profits in the coming years. However, legacy carriers seem to have realized that adding value to the in-flight experience and getting the fundamentals right will help them compete not only against international heavyweights, but also against low cost carriers, who might be able to match them on price, but who cannot approach them in terms of quality. 

U.S. airlines are not quite on par with the world’s best international airlines in terms of overall quality. But they do seem to be improving and they seem to understand that sustainable improvements are going to serve them better than quick fixes. 

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:57 AM

IMO, the Big Three domestic US carriers (American, Delta, and United) are in a "race to the bottom."  They're all tying to eek out as much revenue from their customers as possible, and it's impacting their service in a very negative way.  The fundamental issue is that the domestic airline industry isn't a growth industry and, in America at least, shareholder expectations are double-digit growth.  From an operational perspective Delta leads the Big Three followed by American and United.  Anecdotally United is a mess, but the numbers don't bear that out.

The bottom line is that as a business traveler there's not a lot of good choices domestically.

"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

Correct...as a Business traveler the options all suck. And for most dive trip travelers they suck too!  At least the other carriers around the world are usually better...but they are also supported by their govt's so can afford to be.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Don't get me started. Lol!!!

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

I haven't traveled a lot in the past 3 years but us based carriers flat out suck and it's a race to the bottom.

The airlines care more about the cargo in the hold then passengers in the cabin. It's gotten even worse since the big three monetized just about everything they could including there frequent flyer programs with delta's sky pesos being the worst.

Funny aside: Doug Parker showed up to talk at the offshore technology conference in Houston this year and was boo'd off the stage, cornered and reamed by executives from the major players in the oil & gas industry. It was reported one executive told Parker the reason they lost the corporate contract with them us they were sick of late, delayed, canceled flights that cost them due to lost production. There solution to the problem was use the corporate jets to move the people around, and while it cost them more. It was better then production losses of 50-800k a hour.

Edited by Scubatooth, 06 August 2016 - 10:23 AM.

• Scubatooth likes this

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

Don't get me started. Lol!!!

Yeah....me too! LOL!

But its interesting how the int'l community ALSO sees how horrible they are.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users