• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sharing room w/member of opposite sex

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:00 AM

I've got a problem and was wondering what peoples points of view were on this. I'm going on the Turks & Caicos Aggressor in May. I'm booked in a twin which shares a bathroom with another twin. My LDS called me and asked if I would mind sharing my room with a 24 yr old female. I really don't have a problem with that but the idea of sharing the room with her and a bathroom with another room seems like it would add to the hassle. I can refuse to share the room with her if I want to since I'm already booked. What are peoples thoughts on this?

- Chuck

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:24 AM

What is the issue? If you are concerned about your privacy, decline. If you are concerned about sharing a bathroom, don't worry, you won't be in there at the same time. Usually, on liveaboards, it doesn't matter who's your roommate unless they snore or use your nail clippers. Just knock before you barge in, ask her to do the same. If you're seriously uncomfortable with the idea, I'll go in your place. I'm always ready to help a buddy.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with a female roomate if she didn't have a problem with me. I am seldom in my room except to sleep and update my dive log on my laptop during a trip anyways.

WW, when you come back note the first sentence, LOL. Anyways, I shared an apartment (platonic) with a female roomate a couple of times. As long as I remembered to put the seat down, there was never a problem.

Oh, and being female, I am betting that she brings a better grooming kit (including clippers) than you do anyways. LOL
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

Almost had to do the same thing one time, but it was resolved at the last minute. I didnt think it was a big deal. Besides, for me, being a roomie with a 24 yr old female sounds like a great deal!!! Like people have said, if you are uncomfortable, decline. I am sure she has thought about it, and I am assuming she is OK with it.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#5 ScubaKim

ScubaKim

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

I am doing the same thing in 32 days on a Blackbeards Cruise in the Bahanmas. :cool2:

I am a 28 female and I am bunking with a 45+ guy. He belongs to my scuba club so I sort of know him. From a female perspecitve, I agree with many of the people who have posted. We are only in the cabins to sleep. Althought I have an alternative to sleep on deck. As I have already been warned that he snores. So don't worry. But I would recommend that you wear decent pajamas and just knock. Set out some ground rules on the first night.

And don't worry and don't make a big deal about you. You are all adults. :cool2:

#6 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:47 AM

I've roomed with members of the opposite sex several times and it's never been a problem.
Firstly, when I do local dives here with my club we're usually camping. So, if one of the guys has a spare bed in his trailer, I'M THERE!! Beats setting up my tent!! Sometimes it's been me with 2 guys. (WreckWench, control yourself now!!)

When I did a liveaboard in B.C. I had a guy roomie (for the boat and the hotel afterwards). Two bunks and one bathroom w/shower and it was no problem. Knocking was key. I was hardly in the room for more than sleeping anyway!

Diverlady

PS - ScubaKim and I are doing the same liveaboard in May and we'll be sharing a hotel room for a few days with one of the guys in our club!

Edited by Diverlady, 13 April 2004 - 08:48 AM.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:51 AM

Sometimes it's been me with 2 guys. (WreckWench, control yourself now!!)

PS - ScubaKim and I are doing the same liveaboard in May and we'll be sharing a hotel room for a few days with one of the guys in our club!

Ya would have to go and tease me now wouldn't ya?????? Gosh you are not nice!!! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

So I've shared roomies with a Lady Diver, camper, renter 2 yrs, took a little gettin used to but worked out Ok...
but on a dive boat or smal resort, my question is if there are bunks involved, my first instinct is to offer the bottom one to her (I guess I'm from the 'Old School') and I take the top one to make it easier...

I don't REALLY like the upper bunks and am thinking it's pretty much out of date to try to make it easier etc.. kinda like opening up the car door...

So what's the story Morning Glories...
- offer to give-up the lower bunk?
- flip a coin?
- Change half way through the trip?
- offer to share the bottom bunk?? :teeth: ... LOL.. ..Just kidding...

I usually get a private room (paying the single prem) but sometimes it can't be done... I do prefer females as they tend to not SNORE... as much any way...

just a wandering mind...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#9 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:57 PM

Well as it turns out when I called up the LDS and talked to them they gave me more details. They wanted to move me and the guy that I was supposed to share a room with to the quad and then add the woman. So there would be 3 of us in the quad. I asked if there would be a refund since the quad costs less then the twin. She said yes but didn't know the amount. I told her I'd like to know that before I decided. She said okay and still had to talk to the other guy. Any way she called me back a couple hours later and said they had worked something else out and never mind. So what wasn't a big problem to begin with is now a non-issue.

Have a good one,
Chuck

:teeth:

#10 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

Sometimes it's been me with 2 guys. (WreckWench, control yourself now!!)

Ya would have to go and tease me now wouldn't ya?????? Gosh you are not nice!!! :o

Good Lord Diverlady!!! You don't know me well yet do you??? :D WW is a SAINT compared to me!!! Why, I' salivitating at the thought of two guys to myself.... :teeth: I am SOOOOOO jealous! (Can we be friends so I can learn your masterful rooming techniques?) :respect: (Please?)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

Marvel,

All this time I thought you were a "good girl."
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:37 PM

[Good Lord Diverlady!!! You don't know me well yet do you??? :D WW is a SAINT compared to me!!! Why, I' salivitating at the thought of two guys to myself.... :o I am SOOOOOO jealous! (Can we be friends so I can learn your masterful rooming techniques?) :respect: (Please?)

I heard that you were a good girl as well. Or was that a lie from your friend to keep you away from me. :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:46 AM

Good Lord Diverlady!!! You don't know me well yet do you??? :D WW is a SAINT compared to me!!! Why, I' salivitating at the thought of two guys to myself.... :teeth: I am SOOOOOO jealous! (Can we be friends so I can learn your masterful rooming techniques?) :respect: (Please?)

:lmao:

Marvel!! I had no idea!!

Hmmm.... I don't know if I want to share my secret rooming techniques. You'll then be competition for me........

Well alright!! But I always get first dibs! 'Kay?? :teeth:

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#14 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

Marvel,

All this time I thought you were a "good girl."

Well, remember Mae West??? :teeth: (I'm with you ,WW- this one's cute!!!)

So, OK, talk is cheap but as to action: :respect:

But it sure is fun playing!!!!! :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#15 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

I've got a problem and was wondering what peoples points of view were on this. I'm going on the Turks & Caicos Aggressor in May. I'm booked in a twin which shares a bathroom with another twin. My LDS called me and asked if I would mind sharing my room with a 24 yr old female. I really don't have a problem with that but the idea of sharing the room with her and a bathroom with another room seems like it would add to the hassle. I can refuse to share the room with her if I want to since I'm already booked. What are peoples thoughts on this?

- Chuck

The one critical question that I'm amazed nobody's asked in all the posts yet: Is she cute? :P
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users