• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How to get to DOMINICA

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sallybok

sallybok

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

I have read the instructions and it seems best to go through SXM, so that is what I am planning. Will not set airfare in stone until I hear back from you. I will then pay for the charter flt.  The flts I am looking at arrive in SXM on 6/3 with 3 hour window. Is there a charter on that day? So many folks are arriving early, so thought it best to ask. Is it best to arrive early?

However:

I just read a review of Sebourne Air and the person writing it suggested taking a ferry from Guadalupe to Dominica rather than flying Sebourne. What is your take on this? Looking up Guadalupe on Travelocity I can't tell which airport to choose - pls advise and give any other suggestions. I just returned from a dive trip and the travel was exhausting, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible.This trip to celebrate my 70th b-day, so I really need to know what to expect, so things will be as easy as possible.

Another concern is how much assistance will be available to handle my dive gear, because I discovered on this last trip that I don't have the strength to lug my gear around from boat to dive shop at day's end of diving.I just need to be realistic and know in advance how much or little help is available.

Edited by sallybok, 09 October 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#2 sallybok

sallybok

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

I sent a question about the charter flt, but can't find it to edit, so will ask here.  The flts I am looking at arrive in SXM on 6/3 with 3 hour window.

Is there a charter on that day? So many folks are arriving early, so thought it best to ask. Also if I did not post my question on the correct thread, let me know, so I can make my final flt arrangements.

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have read the instructions and it seems best to go through SXM, so that is what I am planning. Will not set airfare in stone until I hear back from you. I will then pay for the charter flt.  The flts I am looking at arrive in SXM on 6/3 with 3 hour window. Is there a charter on that day? So many folks are arriving early, so thought it best to ask. Is it best to arrive early?

However:

I just read a review of Sebourne Air and the person writing it suggested taking a ferry from Guadalupe to Dominica rather than flying Sebourne. What is your take on this? Looking up Guadalupe on Travelocity I can't tell which airport to choose - pls advise and give any other suggestions. I just returned from a dive trip and the travel was exhausting, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible.This trip to celebrate my 70th b-day, so I really need to know what to expect, so things will be as easy as possible.

Another concern is how much assistance will be available to handle my dive gear, because I discovered on this last trip that I don't have the strength to lug my gear around from boat to dive shop at day's end of diving.I just need to be realistic and know in advance how much or little help is available.

Sally the information you seek is provided in the purple "TRAVEL DETAILS" purple dropdown information box on the Dominica 03 - 10 June 2017 Trip page on the SingleDivers.com website. The content of that info box is copied and pasted here for your convenience. The info here is quite comprehensive as we strive to answer all the typical FAQ's for a given facet of each trip.

You will notice the ferry option is not mentioned - the feedback we have received over time from those opting to use the ferry has been mixed, the primary complaint being the relative hassle getting to the dock, unreliable schedules and the risk of often brisk trade winds making for a rough crossing. Hope this helps!

========================================================================================================

Dominica has two airports: Melville Hall (code: DOM) is the larger of the two and approximately 60 minute drive from Roseau. Canefield (code: DCF) is smaller but only 15 minutes from Roseau. The two primary gateways to Dominica are San Juan via AA and Seaborne and St Marteen via a number of carriers and WinAir.  There are many connections options to Dominica. Most are listed below:

1. WinAir (the most reliable and the best carrier option from SXM to DOM). This is the carrier we use for our charter air contract via Single Divers.com
  2. LIAT and Hummingbird Air also offer connections to DOM from SXM.
  3. Caribbean Regional hubs include: Antigua, San Juan, St. Lucia, St. Marteen (SXM), Tortola and Barbados.
  4. SD CHARTER - SD has once again arranged a charter flight from SXM to DOM and back for $410(full price) $397(cash discounted price) with taxes USD round trip.

NOTE to book a seat using our contract air you MUST BOOK A ROUND TRIP FLIGHT AND PAY IN FULL WHEN YOU BOOK. The various flight options are included in our shopping cart add-on's including a week 1 air option, a week 2 air option and a both weeks air option.

Charter Schedule

You will need AT LEAST 2 hrs in SXM to do the transfer to DOM when arriving and to your US arriving airport when departing. The WinAir flight will depart at 4:15 pm so you need to be in SXM by 2pm at the latest and preferably as much earlier as you can.  We will leave DOM at 9:45 arriving in DOM at 10:45 so plan on int'l flights from SXM from 1pm or later.

Week #1:

WM 7104 27MAY SXM-DOM DEP1615   ARR1715

WM 7102 03JUN DOM-SXM  DEP0945   ARR1045

Week #2:

WM 7104 03JUN SXM-DOM DEP1615   ARR1715

WM 7102 10JUN DOM-SXM  DEP0945   ARR1045

NOTES:

Please give yourself AT LEAST 2 hrs and no less than 1hr50min to arrive/depart in San Marteen, as you’ll need to clear customs, collect your bags, go to the ticket counter, pay your departure tax of $10-35, clear customs again, go thru TSA and then reach the boarding gate.

Drive time from DOM airport to Castle Comfort is approximately 1 hour.

LIAT is often a cheaper option but it is also the least timely of all air options into DOM. Please allow plenty of buffer i.e. arriving a day early when flights are less full and/or a missed or delayed connection will not as adversely impact your trip. Many members have success with LIAT if they get trip insurance AND they do not travel on the weekends i.e Saturday. (Going home does not matter as much if you are delayed or your bags do not arrive)

Many divers choose to book their own air so they can use frequent flyer miles, their preferred carrier or because they have more time to search out deals. If you wish for SingleDivers.com to research and/or book your airfare ticket for you we are happy to do so for a $30 administrative fee. (This fee does not apply to booking the charter air for you).

BAGGAGE

SD Charter from SXM – as charter arrangements are currently being finalized, please check back here for specific restrictions once advised from the airline. As with all small aircraft, baggage is limited. Please plan and pack accordingly.

WinAir (OUR CONTRACT CARRIER) also allows 1 piece of free baggage – less than 50lbs/23k. WinAir has a very TIGHT carryon allowance.
http://www.fly-winai...us/baggage.html

LIAT offers 1 piece of free baggage – less than 50lbs/23k and 1 allowable carryon – less than 15lbs/7k. For baggage specifics please check the web link below.
http://www.liatairli....html?page_id=3

TRANSFERS

Transfers are included from the Dominica Airport to the hotel and back again. The ride from the airport to the island is approx 1 hour. Int'l flights require you be at the airport 2 hrs in advance.

EXIT TAX

Do keep approx $35 EC or $26US for your exit tax out of the country. PLEASE USE ONLY CLEAN, CRISP, UNMARKED BILLS

VISA/PASSPORT INFORMATION

Dominica is a country that is easy to fly in and out of for Americans and most Europeans. You only need a passport for legal entry and exit WITH 6 months left on it after your return date along with adequate pages to allow it to be stamped.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

I sent a question about the charter flt, but can't find it to edit, so will ask here.  The flts I am looking at arrive in SXM on 6/3 with 3 hour window.

Is there a charter on that day? So many folks are arriving early, so thought it best to ask. Also if I did not post my question on the correct thread, let me know, so I can make my final flt arrangements.

Already answered - please see previous reply post. :flower: :diver:

Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#5 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Sally, 

I have done this flight 3 times on three different carriers... Liat, Seaborne, and Winair.  Here is how I compare them:

1) Liat - save yourself the hassle and don't book them.  They are for the island folks and tourists some second or third in their book.  If you have to use them then prepare to get there at least 1 day early if not 2.  They strand Americans indiscriminately.  This is the option for you if you want a reasonable guarantee of an easy transit.

2) Seaborne - This is basically American Airlines.  I used them my second time and the only issue I had was my flight was very late (it happens and I don't hold it against them) and I my missed (not really) my connection with American.  In all fairness, Seaborne was very helpful although American was not (as usual).    They put me up in a $300 a night hotel in San Juan and gave me a food voucher.  If you have to stay over on somebody else's dime, I recommend San Juan for it and Seaborne took care of me.  They even walked me and my buddy to our taxi at midnight!!!  Of course if it the layover is on your dime then San Juan is not the place to do it.  Its pricey around the airport.

3) Winair - I have nothing bad to say here except if you have a layover for some reason it will be in SXM.  Not sure that is a bad thing.  Its a trendy island and I am sure it is friendly to Americans.

The only comfortable ways into the island are through San Juan or SXM.  Antigua is an option, avoid it.  I went through Antigua the first time in. Every American, there after around 15 of us, on the (Liat) flight was bounced because some locals decided they wanted to be on the flight at the last minute.  Liat just left us at the airport without even a phone call.  We had to arrange our own rooms, taxis, and everything else with no working phones.  After I got home I found out that Antigua and the US government are in litigation because Antigua's major industry, short of tourism, is pirating American videos and software on the world market.  They do not like Americans because of the litigation and in my experience are openly hostile to anyone that looks American.  So stick with Seaborne or Winair.

As for the diving, you only bring you gear down once and the crew takes care of it from then on.  If you want, they can probably even take it down the first time as well or somebody in the group will if you ask nicely.  Transferring gear will not be a problem.

• dive_sail_etc and sallybok like this

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

However:

If you still have flight questions let us know.... everything everyone is telling you boils down to this:

FLY into DOM (this is the primary airport)

FLY via SXM via your favorite carrier and then do the WINAIR group flight or go via AA/Seaborne via SJU or go via Liat IF YOU PLAN TO ARRIVE A DAY OR SO EARLY. Even then flights could be late or they could be just fine. Its a HUGE CRAPSHOOT but they often offer good rates since they are subsidized by the govt.

Regarding gear assistance YES the dive staff will help you. The boat is docked at the dive shop so just remind me and I will make sure you are helped!

One way to make the trip less exhausting is to break it up. You can overnight in SJU or SXM. Neither are particularly cheap but both could be fun. If you let me know what time the flight is arriving that you are looking at in SXM then we can let you know if there is plenty of time to do everything. ANOTHER GREAT THING ABOUT WINAIR is the check in counter is RIGHT BY BAGGAGE CLAIM so it is almost like the bags have been checked all the way thru for you. You have to get them in SXM anyway and its like handing off the bags when you are connecting in the US. SUPER EASY!

If the flight arrives 3 hrs before the WINAIR flight that is perfect! Just let us know and we can help. We can also research the flights for you for $30.  Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 sallybok

sallybok

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:06 PM

These are the flights I am looking at. Is it really better to arrive 1 day early or can I catch the charter on 6/3?

American Airlines  1852

San Francisco (SFO) 
June 3, 2017 12:10 AM

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 3, 2017 08:06 AM

American Airlines 1753

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 3, 2017 09:40 AM

St Maarten (SXM) 
June 3, 2017 01:15 PM

American Airlines  866

St Maarten (SXM) 
June 10, 2017 02:25 PM

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 10, 2017 06:35 PM

American Airlines  853

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 10, 2017 08:25 PM

San Francisco (SFO) 
June 10, 2017 10:50 PM

Booking Code : F 

Edited by sallybok, 12 October 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Sally those flights are PERFECT!!! Book them!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#9 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

These are the flights I am looking at. Is it really better to arrive 1 day early or can I catch the charter on 6/3?

American Airlines  1852

San Francisco (SFO) 
June 3, 2017 12:10 AM

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 3, 2017 08:06 AM

American Airlines 1753

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 3, 2017 09:40 AM

St Maarten (SXM) 
June 3, 2017 01:15 PM

American Airlines  866

St Maarten (SXM) 
June 10, 2017 02:25 PM

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 10, 2017 06:35 PM

American Airlines  853

Charlotte (CLT) 
June 10, 2017 08:25 PM

San Francisco (SFO) 
June 10, 2017 10:50 PM

Booking Code : F 

Sally Kamala posted just above; she encourages you to lock this itinerary in! :cool1: :diver:

#10 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

So if I have a flight that arrives in St Maarten from Miami at 2:18 do you think that will give me enough time to catch the charter flight at 4:15 ?  All the other options I have seen I would need two days to get there.

Thanks

Steve

#11 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

So if I have a flight that arrives in St Maarten from Miami at 2:18 do you think that will give me enough time to catch the charter flight at 4:15 ?  All the other options I have seen I would need two days to get there.

Thanks

Steve

Airport is small and its one of the easiest transfers you will ever have.  2 hours is plenty of time if you arrive on time.  You might even fall asleep waiting.

#12 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

Thanks

Steve

Pretty sure I came into St Maarten at the same time last year and I definitely had time to spare.  

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

2 hrs is the min you need via SXM

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users