• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

MALDIVES Tours? Activities? What to do during the BUFFER DAYS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wildtang

wildtang

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

WHAT TO DO IN THE MALDIVES WHILE WAITING FOR LUGGAGE & CATCHING UP ON SLEEP:

Kamala, any thoughts on activities on Feb 25 in Male?  Looking at a walking tour of Male in the am and then a tour of Villimale in the afternoon?

Edited by WreckWench, 09 February 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

If anyone has ideas on what to do during your buffer days please share! I have requested ideas from the boat and post those. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 MRDESSERT

MRDESSERT

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

If anyone has ideas on what to do during your buffer days please share! I have requested ideas from the boat and post those. :thankyou:

Here is an idea:

In Male, go along the waterfront to the eastern end of Boduthakurufaanu Magu by the airport ferry jetty and you’ll find many dhonis waiting in the harbour. Some of these are available for charter to nearby islands. The price depends on where you want to go, for how long, and on your negotiating skills – somewhere between Rf1000 and Rf2000 ($65-$130) for a day is a typical rate

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maldives/transport/getting-around/boat#ixzz4YEQ9flry

This is about 10 minute walk from Somerset Inn...

My plan is arrival @9:45 on 3.4.17, then (Kamala - confirm please) Somerset will pick me up (sign "Craig"? "Mrdessert"? "Hey you Gringo"?) will then take me by ? boat ? to the hotel?? so I can leave my bag & travel light. Hopefully they will direct/drive me to the ferry jetty and then I will take a boat to see what can only be seen from the water...with my New Yorker haggling skills I am sure I can get this price lowered and see the most often unseen things that should not be missed!...

Then to the hotel around 3:00 pm to relax, meet others, eat & crash & get ready for the start of the vacation!!

well that's my plan

Peace and Good Diving,

Mrdessert aka Craig   :wavey:  :bam:

#4 melaniewhite7

melaniewhite7

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

This may be an odd question, but with temps around 88 degrees, I would typically be dressed in sundress or shorts and tank. I do not want to be insensitive or disrespectful to the Muslim culture. Do tourists dress as they would normally dress or do we need to have our shoulders, knees and elbows covered?
  • dive_sail_etc likes this

#5 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

This may be an odd question, but with temps around 88 degrees, I would typically be dressed in sundress or shorts and tank. I do not want to be insensitive or disrespectful to the Muslim culture. Do tourists dress as they would normally dress or do we need to have our shoulders, knees and elbows covered?

Not a bad question at all, actually a very good one.  This part of the world is not one to take lightly.  

In general, dressing like you would here would be fine on the boat.  But on the land, do as the locals do.  Maldives does not practice freedom of religion and does not allow foreigners to practice their religion/beliefs in public.  It's heavily Islamic.  I would suggest dressing very conservative on land.

https://en.wikipedia...in_the_Maldives

Same is true for Dubai if going through there.  Kamala would know more.

#6 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

I think your answers can be found in this attachment

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thanks Scott and great questions!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users