• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving and Hip Replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

My buddy is going in for hip replacement surgery next week. He is worried about how this will affect his diving.

His doctor says he may need to stay out of water 4 to 6 months.

Has anyone had experience with this?

I will pass all the info on to him.

Thanks

Mike

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

We aren't talking about Sam, are we? :)

If it is him, tell him that I wish him the best.

We have enough medical types on this board to answer your question that I won't comment on what to expect. I would think that if it is given time to heal, it shouldn't kill his ability to dive once the healing time is done though.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:21 AM

We aren't talking about Sam, are we? :)

No, Sam is still kicking up a storm. I will pass along your thought to him anyhow.

#4 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:57 PM

dang, i thought this thread was about performing hip replacements while diving.

now THAT would be something to see.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

Can't speak on the medical aspects or the timing, but I can say that we have had a number of divers through here with replacement hips or knees and it doesn't slow them down one bit. Deep divers too. Wish your friend good luck for a speedy and complete recovery - if he's been going through what I suspect he has for the past few months/years, it'll be a tremendous relief to him.

I've just spotted the date of the original post. He must have had it done by now - how did it go?

Edited by peterbj7, 08 February 2005 - 07:54 PM.

#6 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:40 AM

Can't speak on the medical aspects or the timing, but I can say that we have had a number of divers through here with replacement hips or knees and it doesn't slow them down one bit. Deep divers too. Wish your friend good luck for a speedy and complete recovery - if he's been going through what I suspect he has for the past few months/years, it'll be a tremendous relief to him.

I've just spotted the date of the original post. He must have had it done by now - how did it go?

It went well, he is up and about and back to work. Doing rehab in a pool but they won't let him bring his gear.

His Dr. told him not to dive for about 4 months and no more frog kicks. Other than that he should be good to go, and we are allready planning his first dives.

Thanks for asking

Mike

#7 rong

rong

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OpenWater
  • Logged Dives:20-30

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:47 AM

I would think that once the healing has started the hydro-therapy would be good for him in moderation. Best to always consult the Dr. I work a tisuue bank and have worked with procurment and grafts for relacement. Pretty interesting field. I am no Dr..Like I said always best to follow Doc's orders.
Tubby Tuna

#8 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:12 AM

I've known three people who are still diving who have had hip replacements over the past 10 years. One is 74 years old and she's going strong. The four to six months recommendation is in line with what I've heard on other surgeries.

My very best to your buddy and I hope he continues to do well.

Dennis
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users