• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flagship or standing SD.com trips

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

I've dived Catalina Island from a Day Boat out of Long Beach, I've dived it on Day Boats out of Avalon while staying at a hotel there, and I'm going next month to do a 3-day Liveaboard to the Channel Islands, so - let me know if I can help with this...

Having first dived the Caribbean and Atlantic - from West Indies to Florida to Roatan to North Carolina - going to the Pacific was a big change! The reefs are rock rather than hard corals, but the Kelp Beds and other cooler water algaes are mind boggling to dive. Many totally different fishes and invertebrates. I know that many east coast divers never try the other coast, thinking they have too much to see for one lifetime - and while I can appreciate the truth to the thought, the variety is certainly worth the trip. Besides - the flights, hotels, dive bags and all are part of the adventure. While not as convenient as diving one's backyard, the challenges have their rewards.

The waters can certainly be 20 degrees cooler off the west coast as off the east, but - I have a source for 7 mil suits for $120. Neoprene beanie, gloves and boots is about all most need, but it also helps to pour warm water down your back before each dive.

Avalon is a darling little seaside town, with something for everyone. The tour to the airport is a hoot, and I especially like the succulent garden. Never seen so many blooming Century Plants!

See: http://www.catalina.com/main.html

And you forgot to mention the buffalo and the wild boars!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#32 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:08 PM

And not to let the cat out of the bag....BUT we will be having some products that will be exclusive to SingleDivers.com that will be for sale on the site...currently we are looking at a great line of hoods, gloves & booties made of the highest grade of commercial neoprene in the marketplace as well as line of diving energy drinks! There are more exciting goodies on the horizon but I can't leak it all out yet!!! LOL!!! :-D

I can just see us all diving with "SingleDivers.com" emblazoned on either side of our hoods ... people will wonder if that's the new gang attire! :) Hey, maybe we can all get Coo's Toe Officially Licensed Pink Masks and Snorkels, too!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#33 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:09 PM

Hey, maybe we can all get Coo's Toe Officially Licensed Pink Masks and Snorkels, too!

Jextract... I'll send you mine if you promise to post the pics here!!!

Seems to work wonders with the ladies, maybe you should give it a try!

#34 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

Hey, maybe we can all get Coo's Toe Officially Licensed Pink Masks and Snorkels, too!

You've got a deal!

And you ain't lyin' about it workin' on the ladies ... I'm not sure whether you've just got a fan club or are the object of a cult here!

#35 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:31 PM

And you ain't lyin' about it workin' on the ladies ... I'm not sure whether you've just got a fan club or are the object of a cult here!

Ssssssssh!!! I was just about to have them drinking the Kool-aid... Now they're starting to ask questions!

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,616 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

I'm not sure whether you've just got a fan club or are the object of a cult here!

Yes we do and its called the "Zen Zone"..... LOL!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#37 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

:teeth: :lmao: :dance: :2cool:

We are all in Erin's fan club :lol:

Bring back your pink photo, Erin!!

#38 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

I think you may see some changes in this after you do Bonaire. I dive all of the Caribbean, and our group keeps going back to Bonaire. I haven't found any place you can dive warm blue water on good reef cheaper than Bonaire. Put 4 people in a truck, and air cost $100 for a week, unlimited diving. All classifications of divers can find plenty to keep them busy. This trip, we're diving the Wind Jammer at 160-200'. The Hooker is at 80'. For beginners, tons of reefs at 30-60 feet. For more adventurous divers, the windward side is now being dived more regularly. Our housing cost for a 2 bedroom apartment is less than $100 a night. 2 weeks on the island with housing, truck, air and food is less than $1000. Airfare is the only kicker. Air Jamaica out of Houston is awesome right now. This has to be the most diver friendly spot on earth.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#39 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

I'm going to agree with Bandit. For all around diving which is interesting for the more experienced and still uncomplicated for the novice, Bonaire takes the cake. For me leaving out of Boise my airfare was steep at $850 but then I do live in the backwoods. The night life is nothing like Coz but there are good meal and drink establishments. The island is rather low key and not busy in any way with all services within walking distance from the farthest hotel. There is no need for a boat charter unless somebody wants to dive Klein Bonaire. Everything is shore diving and the area is well protected from the weather.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#40 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:34 PM

To avoid any misunderstandings, I don't do commercial trips. I'm just indicating that Bonaire need not be a budget buster. I can do it out of Dallas cheaper than the Keys or Coz, 99% of the time. For airfare, always check flights to Aruba and Curacao as well. There are cheap puddle jumpers over to Bonaire from both. Or do what we did last spring, 3 days on Curacao and then a week on Bonaire. Curacao has decent shore diving similar to Bonaire, but not as many sites. Kamala's trips are looking good and I'm sure I'll see you on some of them soon.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users