• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

More proof...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:34 AM

It appears that I will actually be taking another course this year. I received a note from my tech instuctor and will be taking my Normoxic Tri-mix starting this winter. I should be finished by the middle of the summer sometime. When I am done, I will be able to dive wrecks to 180 ft. and remember the dive (remembering the dive is always a good thing :lmao: ).

Get this... a class where I have to do dives below 130 ft. (but no deeper than 200 ft.)!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#2 MadManMike

MadManMike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:56 AM

Oooooooh, I am so jealous! I am looking for something similar here in the Keys. Sounds like loads of fun.

mmm

#3 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:17 AM

yea, and I'm gonna tie a rope to your butt so that when you pass out at depth and die I can haul you up and beat the crap outta ya!!!
Sempar Partus!!

#4 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

Yes insane is a good word for it. :wakawaka: :birthday:

But I guess someone has to dive that deep to see what is there....as for me, I will keep it at about 100' or less, that makes me very happy....

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#5 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:52 AM

Be nice now all....just because its not for you ...doesnt mean its WRONG !

While I have no desire to got that deep....at least it is laudable the young lad is getting the proper training.

Best of luck to ya and let me know what you see that deep.
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#6 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:57 AM

I think your class - and the REALLY deep diving sounds awesome! Be safe and let us know what you thought while you were experiencing it for the first time :wakawaka: .

#7 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

You rock, Bri! Give us details when you get done!!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

I can think of a couple of wrecks in that range. The Viator and Pewabic out of Alpena come to mind. The Daniel Morrel is close to that range.

Actually, I just want the option to use tri-mix on some of my deeper forays (like the Forest City at 150 ft.). Air works, but better options are now available and I would like to use the safest ones so that my dive buddy doesn't beat me up!

Edited by Diverbrian, 12 January 2005 - 11:20 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:38 AM

Great attitude, Brian!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

brian... come on over here... my instructor teaches a class to 330 ft.... alot of the wrecks on this side of the state are all deeper than 200 ft... not really sure of the mix he teaches for that depth... but ive seen some awesome video of the auckley in 284 ft of water not far from my house... check the link in my signature... there are lists of the classes he teaches... good luck and dive safe...

max
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:59 AM

Baby steps...

I appreciate the thought, but winding up like Chris and Chrissy Rouse is not on my list of things to do. Likely I will get there. There is only one step after this and that is the hypoxic trimix. I would like to get comfortable in the 130-200 ft. range before doing the wrecks over there. The nice thing about the Great Lakes is that they will still be there in all of their splendor in a few years when I am ready.

Much below 300 ft., it becomes difficult to take enough gas with you to satisfy deco requirements. It becomes an entirely different game then. I don't like hang tanks for this kind of diving. If you miss the line, you may have to make the decision of wether or not to surface without deco or drown. That is a poor choice to have to make.

Besides, if I am not careful, my dive buddy will inflict grevious bodily harm on me. That might hurt :teeth: .

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:06 PM

Not a pleasant choice, but with that much deco obligation an easy one - drown.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

Kinda why they should use underwater communication more often(radio)??? Hey guys, I'm coming up with no deco stop, call a helo and let me know when to surface?? Or at least to better communicate with the boat to GET the tanks needed to come up.
Sempar Partus!!

#14 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

Kinda why they should use underwater communication more often(radio)??? Hey guys, I'm coming up with no deco stop, call a helo and let me know when to surface?? Or at least to better communicate with the boat to GET the tanks needed to come up.

Actually, that is a great point and why so many tech divers are using FFM and Comms gear. The local group up here is borderline from investing in that kind of gear. If I get dive buddies that are interested, that would be a safety margin that I wouldn't feel too badly about.

Also, I noticed that on some dives if the boat sees a lift bag come up, they will send a diver down to verify the status of the dive team that shot the lift bag. They can bring more gas if necessary.

My point was that below 300 ft., I personally start to consider OC impractical. I was trained (by this same instructor) to be very conservative with my gas management when I deco dive. I have no reason to believe that Dr. Walker won't continue that tend. A rebreather would look like a great idea to me somewhere between the 200 and 300 ft. range for reasons of gas management. But, in Dr. Walker's book (and mine), the diver should always carry more than enough breathing gas on his/her person to do their deco without reaching the line.

Like Walter said, surfacing with that much deco left is not a pleasant thought.

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

There is only one step after this and that is the hypoxic trimix.

I sincerely hope you mean "normoxic"!

No, I've just thought about it and you're right. Just never heard it described as that before. I would have deleted my post to conceal the evidence if SD would let me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users