• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

More proof...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:34 AM

speaking as a diver who has spent a bit of time between 200 and 300 feet, getting the proper training is even more important. remember that just because your instructor has taught you everything you know about scuba, it doesnt mean that they have taught you everything you NEED to know about scuba.
did that make sense? i think im narced.
Gotta love the deep stuff!!!
heading down to monterey on wed to get my CCR instructor cert, anybody want to be my first victim?
:taz:

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:24 AM

Actually if/when I start going too much below 200 ft., I will likely start thinking in terms of CCR's. The boat captain out in Platsburgh has talked to me and is getting his dealership in the Inspiration. I just like the thought of being able to carry all of the gas that I need in a far smaller package :taz: . It sounds more sane than trying to do this on OC. But, I am not to that level yet. My rig is pretty close to full tri-mix now. As it is, Normoxic Tri-mix is not recreational tri-mix. I am not restricted to one mix. I can use any mix as long as the O2 level is 20 percent or greater.

I just want to build up experience before venturing deeper. I am young and have lots of time to build experience. Also, the complications of extended decos and boats having to wait on those obligations to be completely in extremely rough conditions factors in as well. If the weather kicks up and the divers have two hours of deco to do, that is unpleasant for everybody involved. This has to be a consideration when boat diving in the Great Lakes.

If I were closer to ready moneywise, I would love to be your first victim :) .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 Raven

Raven

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Logged Dives:Over 250

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:03 AM

Brian, I think that is awsome.

So very cool.

Maybe I can catch up with you and you can show me the ropes.

R
DISCLOSURE WARNING! Contents contained in my posts may be witty, intellectual, intriguing, playful, educable, fun-loving, brass, or even offensive. I apologize in advance if the later two apply. Feel free to respond with a witty, intellectual, intriguing, playful, educating, fun-loving manner; or simply ignore. R "Come get wet with us." www.deepsouthdivers.org

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:28 PM

Brian, I think that is awsome.

So very cool.

Maybe I can catch up with you and you can show me the ropes.

R

I hardly have enough experience to show anyone the ropes. I have to learn them first! But, I am interested in the wrecks that you have down in your area when I can free myself from the cold water up here.

Ron,

I hear you. My theory is that all divers primary skills come from their primary instructor. For instance, most of my diving style comes from Doc Walker.

But, there is a factor of what is added in by the diver's own experience. So, there will always be little touches of what I pick up from different buddies. For instance, I am the only one that I notice in my tech group that uses "ponytail holders" (I forget what the women call them, but they are thin elastic bands used to tie long hair into a ponytail.) I use them to hold my inflator to my harness. They have just enough give to pull up on my inflator to vent my wing and yet hold the inflator to my harness so that I can find when I am done. The others are using velcro. I could mention other things, but that is an example.

So, he hasn't taught me everything that I know about diving or even close to everything that he knows about diving. What I know will never be all that I should know about diving either. Now who is narced :) ? I am always open to other ideas. Whether I adopt them or not is my decision :taz: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#20 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:34 PM

[ I would have deleted my post to conceal the evidence if SD would let me!

Gotta butter up the mods a little more, Peter.... :birthday:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#21 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:22 PM

Dang Brian !!! Did it ever occur to you she wasnt talking about diving????
At least one could hope !!
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#22 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

Dang Brian !!!  Did it ever occur to you she wasnt talking about diving???? 
At least one could hope !!
rich

My one track mind is known to rival a certain administrator's! It thinks safe thoughts! :P

So, if any female has any other thoughts besides scuba, it will require re-inforcement by a blunt object like a fin applied directly to the head. (preferably not a Jet fin. That would hurt too much :-D and I don't like pain.)

#23 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:38 AM

Sorry, Brian, that doesn't describe ZD nor Kamala and certainly not me.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#24 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:22 PM

Sorry, Brian, that doesn't describe ZD nor Kamala and certainly not me.

Darlin', at times..... well, let's just say Brian has a point! :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#25 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

Update:

I took the first class last night. I now have Gas Matching tables, CNS/OTU tables, Runtime tables for 19/40 and 20/25 trimix (using EAN70 for deco) as well as a table for Equivalent Narcosis depths for various mixes of trimix.

We covered the shopping list of items that myself and the other student in the class were missing (we plan to use two stage bottles, so the other student will need another bottle and a regulator. I will need an argon bottle (13 cu. ft.) for my drysuit, but that is about it. I am pretty well set. I also would like to modify my DS for a "relief" valve and another side pocket.) We also planned our first dive for the class which will be confined water in the quarry/ major skills work. We did the math and will be mixing up a batch 28/20 Trimix to do the dive as the deep end of the quarry gets to 130 ft. After that we spend a couple of days doing my favorite thing.... deep wreck diving. One dive has to be to between 170 ft. and 200 ft. The next class meeting will be in about six weeks which will give me time to do my class workbook and study for the test.

So far, this looks like a great time to me. I wish that you could all join me. :teeth:

#26 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:34 AM

mix is most certainly the way to go for any deep excursions, and that is where the Rebreather really shines, especially in the cost of helium dept. I have two cylinders of HE and then have lasted me over a year. I was chatting with a friend from australia yesterday and they pay $350 for a cylinder of HE, compared to my $45. Its amazing how much better you feel after a mix dive, versus an air dive.

Who is your instructor Brian and where are you around the GL. Im originally from Detroit, very close to lake Erie.

#27 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:33 PM

mix is most certainly the way to go for any deep excursions, and that is where the Rebreather really shines, especially in the cost of helium dept. I have two cylinders of HE and then have lasted me over a year. I was chatting with a friend from australia yesterday and they pay $350 for a cylinder of HE, compared to my $45. Its amazing how much better you feel after a mix dive, versus an air dive.

Who is your instructor Brian and where are you around the GL. Im originally from Detroit, very close to lake Erie.

My instructor is Dr. (Emergency Room variety) Jesse Walker. He is recently certified through IANTD to Normoxic Tri-Mix level. I would be in his second class. He chooses his students as he is a busy man and doesn't need the money. He has been cave diving longer than I like to think about as well (as a matter of fact that is the reason for the break in the classrooom schedule. He is going down to Florida to dive some caves this week.)

I am from Sanford, MI and do much of my tech diving (used to be recreational, but one can only dive the Grecian so many times, LOL) out of Port Sanilac and Alpena. My recreational diving is typically done in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario as my normal dive buddy lives closer to that general area (upstate NY).

I agree that mix is the way to go. I know what narcosis is like in deep, dark, cold water and don't enjoy it.

A dive shop owner and charter captain out of Plattsburg, NY is giving me the rebreather sales pitch as well. Maybe in another couple of years it will be in my budget. Sixty-five hundred dollars (sixty-five boating units) is a lot of money to a factory worker in central Michigan, LOL.

#28 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

so when do we do a touch-down on the doria, buddy?

heather can make sure the relatives get the remains...........! :welcome:

#29 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:33 AM

so when do we do a touch-down on the doria, buddy?

heather can make sure the relatives get the remains...........! :welcome:

See above post about the rebreather budget BEFORE the Doria. We have the stern of the Daniel J. Morrell in Lake Huron that sits right about the same depth though...

I also have my buddies that have the full trimix training talking about the Carl D. Bradley in Lake Michigan. Even my instructor is saying not enough bottom time/deco ratio at 300 ft., :taz:

I am thinking about the Empress of Ireland in another year or so, as well. But that is borderline depth to be useful for trimix. That would likely be one of those wrecks that is lighter on the helium use just to keep a more clear head on a wreck that is known to trap the unwary.

#30 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:14 PM

hmmmm..... gonna have to buy me some longer rope. triple braid I think!
Sempar Partus!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users