• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Addict in Louisiana

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

Hello again

So another dive adventure…I went home to visit family and also had someone interested in scuba. I decided I would bring their open water book and all my gear so they could have an idea of what all we use and show them the functionality of each piece.  She loved trying on all the gear and even lifted the tank to get the full effect.

Even this small exposure to diving was enough to set the wheels in motion and when I left her house I immediately sought out a place to get in the water. I grew up very close to a river in Louisiana so I had plenty of places to choose from but I was thinking something with a little less crazy current and maybe more than -4ft viz.. There is a campground off the river called “The Bluff” and down the road from this are some old sand pits… perfect. I drove down the old back roads pulled off on a 4-wheeler path and geared up. I used my fins to knock down spider webs and move aside branches and I only got hung up on my tank once ducking under a limb (which may or may not be a word used in place of “barbed wire fence”) on the way to the sand pit.

I finally reached a place around the pond I could manage to get in and out relatively easy and was only sad because I had to do walk in instead of the giant stride or roll off. That water was cold and it took everything in me to make myself walk all the way in. After getting in though it was really nice. The viz was a good 15-20 I saw several catfish ,bass, brim, and a few white perch that looked quite tasty! It was definitely a satisfying peaceful dive.

About 40 min in I had just about covered the perimeter and was heading to the exit when I felt “the bump” . At first, I was like “ oh that’s nothing you must of hit a branch” I looked around but didn’t see anything I would have ran into. Hmm..just keep swimming. Pause.. Do you ever get that feeling when you are walking in the dark maybe to take the trash out and on the way back you start to feel like something is watching you and if you don’t hurry up its going to grab you so you take off running back to the house?! No?..just me?! Ok anyways. ..so I’m swimming (maybe a little faster) and then I kind of start laughing because I have let myself get scared of nothing. As im thinking this a freaking huge alligator gar swims inches in front of my face. It came out of nowhere and it scared the actual pee out of me! UGH!! Those are ugly, scary, dinosaur fish! If you have not seen one up close you are lucky! If you never see one while diving You Are Blessed! Really ive swam with sharks, barracuda, and even the alligator that lived under my Uncle Joe’s house boat. That is the most scared I have ever been of any marine life.

So I got to share a little about diving with a friend, I got to quench my thirst for diving myself, I had another new dive experience, and I learned “sand pits are a great place to bring your spear”. I have some great gar ball recipes 😊

• little mermaid, Cajun Diver and dive_sail_etc like this

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:14 PM

OMG...you gotta post a pic of an alligator gar when you get a chance!

NOW THAT IS TRULY AN ADDICT!!!  I thought I was one...you know give up everything in life including a real job that paid REALLY well and become a scuba bum... but I think this takes the cake! ;)

ps You lost me at 'cold water....'  :lol:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:28 PM

NOW THAT IS TRULY AN ADDICT!!!  I thought I was one...you know give up everything in life including a real job that paid REALLY well and become a scuba bum... but I think this takes the cake! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 89073BA7-5238-44CE-8E27-4B95A2723265.jpeg
  • 5128B385-2D83-4483-A112-66FBE0F80414.jpeg

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#4 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:35 PM

Nice gar but you did not mention bagging the one that was bumping you - was this a previous catch? :cool:

Also I am guessing the lady suited in the shop up was not diving with you since there is no evidence of thermal protection. :diver:

• Ducky likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#5 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:45 PM

I caught a few of those on trotlines and even caught one on a rod and reel while fishing in a bayou near Lake Pontchartrain.  I wouldn't want to dive with one though...

• Ducky likes this

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#6 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:00 PM

Right?! They are scary and I prefer fishing them than diving with them ! A lot of people use jugs to catch them out of the river. I have seen one over 6ft pulled up on a jug.
  • Cajun Diver likes this

#7 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:27 AM

Having never even seen a photograph of one before in my life, I would have been seriously scared seeing that in the water for the first time.

That fish is  U G L Y.

• Ducky likes this

#8 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:32 AM

Wikipedia.....

Alligator_gar.jpg

• dive_sail_etc and Ducky like this

#9 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

Yes!! Ugly dinosaur fish! You should youtube a video of people jugging for gar. They also do a lot of bowfishing for them. They go at night using spotlights. I've seen them and am aware of them but I did not think to make them a part of my dive plan  :blush: -50 BAR for when you swim past the scary fish...5 min safety stop...

Having never even seen a photograph of one before in my life, I would have been seriously scared seeing that in the water for the first time.

That fish is  U G L Y.

#10 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:48 AM

Wow, that is one interesting fish, have never seen one diving, probably hope not to also!!!

• Ducky likes this

#11 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:07 AM

Nice gar but you did not mention bagging the one that was bumping you - was this a previous catch? :cool:

Also I am guessing the lady suited in the shop up was not diving with you since there is no evidence of thermal protection. :diver:

Lol I can’t get anything past you. The gar was indeed from a previous catch and from my perspective no where near as big as the one I saw under water! The woman was also just received an open water book and the first time she had seen dive gear before. I don’t think I will introduce her to diving in the sandpits lol

#12 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:25 AM

Lol I can’t get anything past you. The gar was indeed from a previous catch and from my perspective no where near as big as the one I saw under water! The woman was also just received an open water book and the first time she had seen dive gear before. I don’t think I will introduce her to diving in the sandpits lol

Devon unless her name is Laura Croft I would agree skipping the sandpits is probably the right decision. :-D :wacko:

However, depending on how warm the water in those sandpits get over the summer this shark encounter diver shark_1f988.pngmight be interested.

Come on, you know you want a rematch! :teeth: :diver: :diver:

• little mermaid and Ducky like this
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#13 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:31 PM

Aye!! I will return but this time I will not let the 4 P's ruin my dive and will be properly armed!       :fish2:  <---------  :diver:  :ninja:

#14 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:25 PM

Aye!! I will return but this time I will not let the 4 P's ruin my dive and will be properly armed!       :fish2:  <---------  :diver:  :ninja:

Devon I nearly spit my soda across the screen! :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: Thanks for the laughs with a VERY clever emoji improvisation! (Makes me think twice about Coz in April!) :diver:

• Ducky likes this

#15 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

We all need laughter and vitamin “sea”! Two of the best medicines IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users