• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Process Improvement: Is Group Text Messaging an Option?

8 replies to this topic

#1 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:54 PM

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: Cell phone number Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 12:19:02 -0400 From: Steven Morlock <smorloc@gmail.com> To: trips@singledivers.com CC: Kamala Shadduck <kamala@kamalashadduck.com>

Good afternoon,

My cell phone number is 781-820-4616.

FYI, my experience with using group text messaging is mixed.  A big problem with them is that every time you add or remove someone from the group, it is a new conversation. We have moved to using (gulp) Facebook Messenger.   We found that everyone had the application installed so it worked out well.  With Messenger, you can add & remove members without the conversation being interrupted.  Additionally, new members can see the existing conversation.  Messenger groups offers management to assigned admins, which you don't have when using text messages.  The group is named and the admins control that name.  Text messages don't really have a reliable equivalent.  I dislike almost all things Facebook/Meta, but after we sampled numerous alternatives to group text messages, Messenger proved to be the best option for my groups. 

Regards,
Steve

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2022 - 04:12 PM

Thank you. This was sent by Steven aka Squishy when we said we'd do a group text for the FL trip.

He suggested the aforementioned option. I did not want to lose it nor forget about it so asked Brad to capture it for us.

2 other thoughts come to mind.

CON: 

• Not everyone uses messenger

PROS:

• For many people they can not TEXT when out of the US but they almost always can access Messenger if they are on FaceBook.
  • You can easily create a fake facebook account using the SD screen name as your entire name if you wanted.
  • There is no fee to receive a messenger message but if traveling texts may cost money

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:05 PM

Steven is right about group texts and in theory about Facebook Messenger.  Problem is some people like myself would rather be left out than put Facebook on their phone since their privacy policy seems to be "undo every privacy setting you have set and open everything up to the world."

I suggest using the Telegram App

https://telegram.org

There is a version for web and for all mobile devices.  It's heavily used worldwide (Ubuntu even distributes it in their OS) and gives you essentially all the features of Facebook Messenger while also giving you privacy.  Works around the world for free and has a setting so when you add people they can see old posts.  In fact, this may be a better option than the Trip PM now that I think about it.  May be too close to Florida to use it there but is worth looking at and maybe you can test it out some there. 

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:52 PM

Yes way too close to FL and with Telegram being so new it may be harder to get people to sign up for it. HOWEVER as time goes on it may be ok.

That being said you can close all your privacy options back up after installing Messenger. There are tons of videos and articles on how to do it.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:41 AM

my understanding of the Messenger app is it only reflects private chats you manually create and posts on your business page.  This may be ok for now but ideally you would want it to work with groups.    

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:15 AM

my understanding of the Messenger app is it only reflects private chats you manually create and posts on your business page.  This may be ok for now but ideally you would want it to work with groups.    

I am part of several groups on Messenger where you add FB friends to a group you name. You can add more and people can opt out so I don't know if its tied to the page or not. I think if everyone had a FB account and they friended me as the group leader then we can set up the group.

But its another step to manage and we can't do it until right before the trip because the people who live in FB will blow us up with crap and I only want it as a DURING TRIP COMMUNICATION METHOD.

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 06:14 AM

What's App appears to be a good solution. You can use what's app for free and can use it ONLY ON WIFI. You can talk and text and its very easy to use and very similar to texting.

In fact the trip that Butch is doing with his local dive club uses What' App to keep in touch with everyone. I think this is the best solution for international trip.

Oh and the dive shop who went with us in Oct to Dominica also used what's app to communicate with all its members. So it can do groups easily etc.

Let's try it for our Bonaire trip in Nov since Scott and I are both on it!

formerly...

#8 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 12 November 2022 - 10:26 AM

On my international trips that are not dive trips, we have used the What's App and anoher one called Group Me.  Both are easy to use and we have had no problems.  

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

On my international trips that are not dive trips, we have used the What's App and anoher one called Group Me.  Both are easy to use and we have had no problems.  

Thank you. Who makes 'group me'  I have never heard of it.

formerly...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users