• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

13. Oct 23/25 to Nov 5: Fiji...Island Dream

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1081 replies to this topic

#16 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

I am really excited about this trip, but I have 2 questions before I commit: do you know if there are any cell towers on the island? It scares me to be out of touch with my office for so long
and, is this a good trip for such a newbie like me? I have VERY little experience.
Wait, sorry, one more question - are you planning any trips to Australia or Galapagos next year?

:teeth:

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

Hey girl...all excellent questions! Here goes in answering them:

1. Communications...I doubt there is any cellular coverage. I think that all they have is one landline which at $5/minute is essentially reserved for emergency communications.

2. With respect to newbies diving Fiji...I think that you'd do just fine diving wise...there is diving for all ages!

3. As far as what is planned for 2006....I am looking at PNG, Australia and Galapagos. I'm not certain what we may end up with but we are looking at all of these options!

What else can I answer for you???? -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:55 PM

On the Cellular service question I'm not sure who you have service through, but if it's Verizon Wireless you'd be surprised but they do have an option avaliable.

Currently verizon offers a Global Phone that can be rented for such trips, not sure of the cost for rentals, but I just checked and Fiji is on their list of International Services... they show the base rate for calls at 1.29 per minute and I'm sure it's very limited to the coverage, but if it's something you really have to have it's an option...

Also, to note I do not work for Verizon so this is no plug for them I happen to work with different cellular providers through my work.

Dejah

#19 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:00 AM

My memory (I was there two years ago) is that there is no coverage except for sat phones. I understand that we're all different, but to me this is a good thing. Not only do I not give my office a number to reach me but I never even give them specific info on where I'm going - I refuse to have my vacation interrupted. If the office burns down it'll be in the same ashes when I'm halfway around the world as it will when I return.

Re: the diving, it is perhaps the easiest diving imaginable. You fall off of the boat, you drift, you climb back on. There are some areas with strong current (e.g. The Supermarket off of Castaway Island) but the vast majority of the diving is extremely easy.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#20 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

I'm glad I can do as jex can... It isn't a vacation unless you can turn off the phone, unplug the radio and not read a newspaper. All it does is add stress to your life and the whole point of vacations is not to have any stress at all.

Grrrrr.. I can't find a decent connection from LAX back home. I guess I may lay up in LA (or somewhere else) for the night and travel home the next day.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

So Jexy...can you join us? I know you've mentioned it and I certainly hope you can! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#22 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:43 AM

I'm trying to work out the details. It's nice to have a trip on our side of the world!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:26 PM

I'm trying to work out the details. It's nice to have a trip on our side of the world!

It will be awesome to see you again...and we are planning two trips to your side of the world! I hope to have a CA SD trip in mid Aug or so. -ww

formerly...

#24 DiveCandy

DiveCandy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:51 PM

Grrrrr.. I can't find a decent connection from LAX back home. I guess I may lay up in LA (or somewhere else) for the night and travel home the next day.

I'm having trouble with that also, Dan. I prefer to use AA to bank those miles for the next Cozy trip but there is nothing to Orlando after noon-ish on the 5th. Looks like I'll be overnight in LA and flying out at 8:00 Sunday morning. I wonder how much trouble I can get in during 12+ hours in the LAX terminal? :teeth: (That's a hypothetical question...no one needs to answer that!)

Kerry

#25 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

Awwwww c'mon Kerry... think how much fun we could all have conjecturing just how much trouble YOU could get in during an L.A. layover... are you really going to deny us that pleasure? My first thought would be Jex... from there it's just kind of a whirlwind...

WW, I'm seriously considering this one... just wondering if maybe Sandy has a third kidney I could stick on eBay.... I thought about selling one of the kids (heck, I got 3!), but I think they are old enough to find their way back home again, so I don't think that will work. :teeth:

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#26 Seawitch

Seawitch

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

I'm having trouble with that also, Dan. I prefer to use AA to bank those miles for the next Cozy trip but there is nothing to Orlando after noon-ish on the 5th. Looks like I'll be overnight in LA and flying out at 8:00 Sunday morning. I wonder how much trouble I can get in during 12+ hours in the LAX terminal? :teeth: (That's a hypothetical question...no one needs to answer that!)

Kerry

I am having the same problem. I can't find a connection back to DC, so it looks like an overnight layover. We might just have a Post Fiji party in LAX. :teeth:

SW

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:12 PM

I am having the same problem. I can't find a connection back to DC, so it looks like an overnight layover. We might just have a Post Fiji party in LAX. :teeth:

SW

Hmmm....well we've been wanting a CA happy hour for awhile!!! Looks like they may have to come and meet us at the airport! Or at least close to the airport! LOL!!! -ww

formerly...

#28 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

If that's the best time, the bar at the airport is fantastic:
http://www.encounterrestaurant.com/

#29 grayfins

grayfins

Meeting folks

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, NITROX; Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:365

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

Sent a check today by priority mail. You should receive it by Wed. Looking forward to the diving, the people and the trip as a whole.
grayfins :cool2:

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

Sent a check today by priority mail. You should receive it by Wed. Looking forward to the diving, the people and the trip as a whole.
grayfins :cool2:

WOW!! Post #1 was to sign up for the Saba trip....Post #2 was to sign up for the Fiji trip....hopefully post #3 will be to officially introduce yourself!

Click here to post your intro!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users