• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

13. Oct 23/25 to Nov 5: Fiji...Island Dream

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1081 replies to this topic

#76 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:54 PM

Ok gang...I have found $205 round trip to LA from DFW and I can fly back the 5th...BUT...if we have enough going to be staying over then I'll plan to stay with you all and we'll do a CA Happy Hour near the airport!!! So.....what time are you flying out the 6th if staying over???

Who is DEFINITELY staying over???

Let's get a plan NOW so we can buy our tickets and boogie home OR get all the CA types ready to come and meet us!!! :welcome:

Hey WW - I think I'm going to head back on the 5th instead of staying over. I'll have to go back to work that Monday and would rather get home Saturday if I can.

But I have another suggestion - since the flight to Fiji doesn't take off until 11:30 on Friday night, why don't we do a HH Friday evening while everyone's waiting for the flight out that night. I'm sure I'll be in by mid-afternoon! We could head to a hotel bar at/near LAX. Just a thought....

terri
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#77 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hey that's a great idea! Everyone should be in the area and in by a certain time! Just not sure how to facilitate it when non-flying people can not get into the security area which is where all the airport bars are...and we'd need some help from the locals if we tried to get in early and then take a taxi or shuttle to a hotel bar near the hotel.

It would take some coordination but would work! Plus we all might actually pass out and sleep on the 12 hr flight!!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#78 Seawitch

Seawitch

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

The HH before the departing flight is a great idea. I'll be there very early. I am still looking for connecting flights back to DC and I am trying not to stay over night in LAX. I think by that time we all will be ready to get home.

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#79 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hey everyone, this newbie is going to the South Pacific. Since I am new to this, I could use some advice on the type of insurance I need and other things to know about SD in general. How do I get someone to room with? What kind of things do I need to bring? I don't own any gear (good reason to buy some) so I will be posting some questions in that forum as well.

On a side note, the VP of my group at work approved a new workstation so I can work from home. The MIS department named is FIGI (they can't spell); I think I was destined to join SD when I did and make this trip, what do you think? :lmao:.

Hope to hear back from ya'll (trying to get my southern twang on) soon and have an AWESOME time on this trip.

-Mike-

P.S. I am always down for a HH getting some drinks before flying. If I remember correctly, there is a Sheraton connected directly to LAX or just across the street within walking distance to the airport. I think the same with a Marriott. Hopefully with all my flynig for work, I'll be able to pilfer some drink bottles from First Class (if I get the upgrades) to share with us on the plane, hehe.

Edited by WillDiveForBeer, 11 February 2005 - 11:06 AM.

#80 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

Since I am new to this, I could use some advice on the type of insurance I need and other things to know about SD in general. How do I get someone to room with? What kind of things do I need to bring? I don't own any gear (good reason to buy some) so I will be posting some questions in that forum as well.

Awesome!!! :lmao: This will get you started in the right direction and shoudl answer all your questions about SD trips! If not let me know so I can add to it what is missing!

Click here for 'All the Stuff You Need to Know About SD Trips!"

We'll look forward to your gear questions in the New to Diving forum!!! Ask away!

And yes...I think you are destinated to have joined SD...sounds like you will be a great addition to the group! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#81 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:15 PM

Just as long as you don't mind my contstant barage of PMs while figuring this out, heh.

Once I am settled in, I am pretty Autonomous. That should be a few weeks as I catch up on this and have the time to poke around the message boards.

My motto is...book trip now, find flights later.

We have so many months in advance, it won't be difficult to find flights. We are way before the 21-day advance purchase price ends (I think we are about 21 weeks advance now, hehe) and possibly we can all coordinate arrival and departure times to/from LAX so we aren't waiting around aimlessly.

We want to arrive at LAX at a reasonable time so we can all check in, but sometimes airlines limit the time you can check in before departure and I don't think we want to cart our luggage around LAX.

We depart on a Tuesday, usually a light travel day. Typical checking time for 11:30pm Intl' flight should be 9:30pm, since we have a large group, we might want to start at 8:30-9pm. I would shoot for arrivals into LAX at 6:30pm, giving you time to get your luggage and change terminals, since most of us should be arriving in Domestic terminals and need to move to the Int'l terminal.

Also, some airlines will allow you to check your baggage all the way through from home to FIJI, as long as they have all the flight information. I don't know what airline we are currently taking, but we can see who they partner with and able to check the baggage all the way through.

I might be new to SD, but I have logged a lot of miles flying for work and other vacations and know the airline industry pretty well (used to work for Priceline.com).

Looking forward to this trip and any other local trips to get my feet wet with you guys.

#82 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Don't apologize for the questions! Everyone has them and its natural! My goal is to get them answered in a consistent format so that others know where to direct people to those answers online (like the link I gave you) and that way, we can all help each other out!

Plus it keeps me on my toes...when someone asks me something I haven't addressed before it gives me a chance to tackle something new and then add it to our collection so to speak making it easier for the next diver!!! Kinda like a public service kind of thing! :wakawaka:

But seriously...your suggestions are excellent and your experience will be used vastly my myself :lmao: and others!!! :lmao:

formerly...

#83 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:30 PM

Actually, airlines will check your bags thru to the final destination if the 2 airlines have a baggage agreement and you show your onward ticket when you first check in

#84 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

Since i dont know who we are flying, I need to research the airline code or wait for our founder to supply that info, I will then find out what airlines will check the bagage all the way through. This could be helpful in planning your flight to LAX. For me, it's worth a little extra money know I don't have to truck my luggage along and less likelyhood of your luggage getting lost or delayed.

It looks as though we are flying:

Air Pacific to Nadi, Fiji
Once in Sunflower Airlines to Kandavu Airport

Air Pacific is a partner with Quantas or American Airlines for frequent flyer miles. Their customer service representative says that almost any airline except Southwest will be able to check the bagage all the way thru to Fiji.

-Mike-

Edited by WillDiveForBeer, 11 February 2005 - 02:20 PM.

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:18 PM

Since i dont know who we are flying, I need to research the airline code or wait for our founder to supply that info, I will then find out what airlines will check the bagage all the way through. This could be helpful in planning your flight to LAX. For me, it's worth a little extra money know I don't have to truck my luggage along and less likelyhood of your luggage getting lost or delayed.

We are flying Air Pacific from LAX to Nadi, Fiji. Then Sun Air from Nadi to Kadavu

(Depart Sunday Oct 23 from LAX at 11:30pm, arrive Fiji Tuesday Oct 25, depart Fiji Saturday Nov 5th and arrive LAX Nov 5th)

1. FJ 811 G 23OCT 7 LAX/NAN HK22 B 2330 0515+2
2. PI 044 NAN/KDV 25OCT @ 1200HRS
3. PI 045 KDV/NAN 05NOV @ 1300HRS
4. FJ 810 G 05NOV 4 NAN/LAX HK22 2300 1315

formerly...

#86 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hey Mike...you work fast!! :wakawaka: I got your deposit and first payments! Awesome!!! and Thank you for all the great info on the flight stuff!!! You will be a great asset on the trip and it looks like on the site! :wakawaka:

Hey Alikat...got the rest of your trip payment today too! Guess you want that free waterfall trek as well! :wakawaka: -ww

formerly...

#87 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

Yea, I am quick. I'd send the rest of the money if PayPal had a quicker way of verifying your bank account info. If you guys need to know anything about traveling, you can always ask me. If I don't know...I have our travel agents at work who love me and always keep me abreast of the latest scoop and changes in the travel industry. Too bad they don't take AMEX in Fiji, how am I going to earn all my damn points? LOL

#88 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

I'm using FF miles (just found great flights on UA).  I will stay in LA the 5th, and my flight  out will 0855 on the 6th.

You found a United flight out of LA? I'm all over that...Gotta bunch of miles to burn. Which flights?

Flights New search

Honolulu, HI (HNL) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Sunday, Oct 23

Flight info Dates Information Fares
United Airlines 934
Boeing 767-300/ER Oct 23 8:00 am depart HNL
Oct 23 4:24 pm arrive LAX Stops: Non-stop
Class: United Economy Delete
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Honolulu, HI (HNL) Sunday, Nov 6

Flight info Dates Information Fares
United Airlines 53
Boeing 767-300/ER Nov 06 8:55 am depart LAX
Nov 06 12:26 pm arrive HNL Stops: Non-stop
Class: United Economy Delete

Total Number of Mileage Plus Miles Required: 35000
All taxes (including September 11th Security Fee) $5.00 What is this fee?
"

#89 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:05 PM

The 9/11 Fee is imposed by the Feds to cover additional security costs associated with additional screeners, TSA, bomb sniffing dogs, military at airports, etc... Just another way Uncle Sam is sticking it to us. It does not go to the airlines bottom line.

-Mike-

#90 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

The 9/11 Fee is imposed by the Feds to cover additional security costs associated with additional screeners, TSA, bomb sniffing dogs, military at airports, etc... Just another way Uncle Sam is sticking it to us. It does not go to the airlines bottom line.

-Mike-

That wasn't a question, it was just part of what I cut and pasted. I know what that fee is.

Also, for all of your travels, looks like you never crossed the date time line, we ARRIVE on a Tuesday, we DEPART on a Sunday.
"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users