• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

California diving on 25th of this month

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:31 PM

I figured I might post the info here for those who would like to come diving with me and a few others on the 25th of April in Malibu. Should be doing two dives then lunch afterwards. :teeth:

Ana

#2 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:34 PM

I figured I might post the info here for those who would like to come diving with me and a few others on the 25th of April in Malibu. Should be doing two dives then lunch afterwards. :teeth:

Ana

I should know if I can join you soon. I was planning on running the Nike Run Hit Wonder that morning near the Coliseum, but yours is a much more tempting offer. Where in Malibu? What time?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#3 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:36 PM

Not sure where yet but it is looking like Leo Cabrillo. But who knows if it doesnt look goood there we may move along the PCH and find a good site. We usually dive at 8 in the morning. I should know the exact meet site by the end of this week.

#4 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:11 AM

Ana, I am really bummed that all Dallas has is some murky lakes, and ya'll have the Pacific, and the PCH to get there..... and all before lunch.
One of these days I am going to fly out there for a weekend to dive with you. Save me a slot.
mark
Diving; My zen space.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:16 AM

Ana, I am really bummed that all Dallas has is some murky lakes, and ya'll have the Pacific, and the PCH to get there..... and all before lunch.
One of these days I am going to fly out there for a weekend to dive with you. Save me a slot.
mark

I agree...that is why we are going to do an official SingleDivers.com dive on the "Left" coast AS well as Wrinkles informal SD.com dives....ok so maybe I'm a bit presumptious on the informal SD.com dives...however I'm thrilled she is listing them here!! :anna:

Hey cutie....don't forget to tell all your single diving friends to come and check us out!!! Thanks girl....
-ww :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:44 PM

mark

Ofcourse i will save you a slot. :lol:

Don't be jealous at all....I think I am starting to get jealous with all the parties out your way. And airfare always seems to be cheaper from where you are than here.

Ofcourse I am telling all my single friends about the site WW and I even got a couple to take a look at it ....but too bad I don't have many single friends.....

Ana

#7 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:29 PM

Hi Ana .... count me in! I'd much rather spend the day gettin' wet with you all than gettin' sweaty at the Nike run.

Let me know the details ... time, meeting location, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you!!

Jamie
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#8 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:55 PM

I should know all the exact information soon and will post it once I know for sure Im glad you are choosing diving with us over getting sweaty with others. :anna:

Ana

#9 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

I'm curious, diving at Malibu??? thought the coast line was pretty sandy blocked by stilt houses... unless you go up to Dead Man's Curve?? Where abouts in Malibu??? just wondering...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#10 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:30 AM

Wringles,

I have never dove out in CA but diving the kelps is one dive that I have always wanted to do, however, I will agree that diving Deep Water Rigs are BEAUTIFUL. We hit a deep water platform as one of our dive spots when we go to the Flower Gardens and it generally is the talk of the trip amongst the customers.

For those of you that havn't had the pleasure of diving a deep water platform, you don't know what you are missing.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:34 AM

:D No problem

I love the diving out in Laguna. It is a very nice place to dive. The beaches are so protected so the issue of waves are a little less than Malibu. My first few beach dives were in Malibu then I started boat diving. It was not until i did a beach dive out in Laguna that I started to beach dive more often.

There is a lot of sand in Malibu which lead to some interesting marine life but there are also thick kelp beds (which are my favorite).

The channel islands are great and they even include Catalina :twist: I have been diving off all of them and enjoyed them. One thing to check out when you come down depending on your experience level are the oil rigs. I have never been on such beautiful dives. :taz:

Ana

Hey Girl....if we did a SD.com singles trip to Calif....could we combine diving the Channel Islands AND say the Lugana beaches or some other VERY protected beach dive? (I for one don't do surge and rough beach entries well and don't particularily want to learn either!)

Anyway...not having dove there yet...but with drysuit in the immenient near future....CA diving is just a matter of planning now!!! Thanks for all your help in planning a trip there! -ww :taz:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#12 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:35 PM

Ok here is a description of where we are meeting for the dive. Thanks to Melvin Pasley.

Well, conditions do look like they may be ok, but the swell may be an issue and is too soon to call. But diving should be ok, depending upon what this wind that just started does.

How about this, we meet at 0800 AM Sharp, on Pacific Coast Highway just South (East) of Leo Carrillo Entrance on the east (land) side of the road. We can then do a recon of the ocean by walking across the street to Sequit Point or South Leo Carrillo (see http://www.sandeaters.org) dive sites for this location. Then we can make a Dive/No Dive decision for this location and then either pay for parking and go to Leo Carrillo (Plan A) or do the U-Turn for Escondido Creek (Plan B) or another sheltered location yet to be named (plan C).

Leo Carrillo Buoy http://facs.scripps....eocarrillo.html

Point Dume Buoy http://facs.scripps....urf/ptdume.html NOTE this buoy is off line.

Wave Model : https://www.navo.nav...c/81/21/0-0-1/2

Ana

Edited by wrinkles, 24 April 2004 - 12:36 PM.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:18 PM

Wrinkles that sounds great. So tell me one more time the best dates to dive CA? And what approx air and water temps are? Also tell me the worst times to dive there. I know you sent it to me once in a pm but I can't seem to locate it. Thanks...I'm looking forward to our SD trip to SoCal!!! k

formerly...

#14 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:53 PM

Change in Location just in case anyone from this board is going.

Date: Sunday April 25, 2004
Time: 08:00 AM
SITE CHANGE to POINT DUME
Arnaud did a recon dive in Malibu and is reporting glass conditions there. With the swell model as it is and his report he has requested we move the dive to Point Dume. We will meet in the far end of the parking lot. When you run out of pavement and hit a cliff, you will know you are there.
http://www.geocities...rs/sites/pd.htm

#15 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

Just thought some might want to know how the dives went. I added a couple sentences to make it specific here.

We had a great time. It was fantastic conditions on the first dive, the canyon, great visibility and many many critters (some which I have not see before in such masses). This was by far one of my favorite dives I have logged. It was the first time at a beach where I actually hit 104 for depth. To top it off there were things to see at every point of the dive.

I was very impressed with this dive site. The facilities the place has to offer are great especially for a beach location. They had restrooms close by, close parking, and showers. I would love to dive this site again.

During the surface interval we were greeted by some whales very close to the shoreline and a pod of dolphins. A few of us waited while others had to go get tanks refilled. We sat and tried to stay warm. I was even almost jealous of Arnauds dry suit. But with the sun shining and taking off a layer of clothing (the advice given) I warmed up.

When we went back in the water for the second dive, the pinnacles, the visibility wasn't as good but the marine life was still plenty. As we first dropped a huge ray was there to greet us and get up close and personal with Dave. There were also bunches of strawberry anemones which are always fun to see. The current was a bit strong and the swim a bit long but it is worth it for the amount of things you are able to see.

Thanks Again to Jaime for helping me with my weights. :anna: You truly are a very nice guy. :teeth:

After diving we enjoyed an over hour lunch together as we learned about the different experiences of each others diving. And also some very interesting job descriptions

I had a great time with this group and can't wait till next month to do it again.

Ana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users