• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Micronesia/Hawaii 2005

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:10 AM

MV! That is fantastic! I think you hae to send that to Chuck so that he can make a poster out of it to hang when he comes back. :birthday:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

MV thnx. :2cool: :cool1:

#18 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:25 AM

CC-

That sounds like a FAB trip you have planned. Can't wait to hear the trip report - sounds like you'll have to unveil it in volumes. So cool that you made your dream a reality and that your friend can join you.

SR

#19 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hi Chuck,

:2cool: I noticed a couple of things you may be missing in your first aid kit.

1. Liquid Bandages
2. Loratadine
3. Hydrocortisone cream

Where you are diving there is a lot of fire coral. I know as i only wear a shortie and that stinging coral always attacks me :cool1:

In Kona there are a couple of excellent dives (besides the Mantas) they are Spaceship and the Arches.

On your no dive day in Palau if you have time hit the Dolphins Pacific. Wonderful experience. the Dolphins are not pinned up like Dolphin Quest in Kona. Dolphins Pacific is similiar to the Dolphin Quest in Tahiti. Nice Lagoons to swim in.

In rewiewing your packing list of clothes you are bringing. It reminds me of how I make fun of all these people who bring all those bags filled with clothes. You make me feel that way! I thought i packed light. No Way! Throw in a couple of more Shirts and Shorts....LOL

By the way i forgot to tell you about the most negative thing you will encounter about diving in Micronesia...........nothing else will stack up to that diving!

looking forward to you report.
Best Diving,
Scott

Edited by Travelnsj, 06 February 2005 - 04:07 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#20 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

Ya' know- You guys don't have to rub it in so much. Have a little pity on the rest of us....
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#21 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip. Hope you packed lots of sunscreen. And if you are flying Continental, I hope your luggage makes it....based on my recent experience make sure you have the really important stuff with you on the plane.

#22 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

I noticed a couple of things you may be missing in your first aid kit.

1. Liquid Bandages
2. Loratadine
3. Hydrocortisone cream

Thnx for the tip Scott. As for the fire coral I usually use buoyancy control. Hurts
less. :cool1:

In rewiewing your packing list of clothes you are bringing. It reminds me of how I make fun of all these people who bring all those bags filled with clothes. You make me feel that way! I thought i packed light. No Way! Throw in a couple of more Shirts and Shorts....LOL

I'll buy a few t-shirts along the way. Two pairs of shorts and two swim suits are plenty for that deptartment.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Hope you packed lots of sunscreen. And if you are flying Continental, I hope your luggage makes it....based on my recent experience make sure you have the really important stuff with you on the plane.

I'm carrying my reg, computers, mask, bathing suit, pair of shorts, t-shirt, one pair underwear, socks, glasses, toothbrush, toothpaste, c-cards, passport, camera and accessories,tix, vouchers, advil, ambien and a few other things as carry on items. None the less I still want my bags to show. I've had problems twice before with bags but luckily both times were at the end of the trip and the stuff was delivered to my home the next day. Once with American West and the other was with America Airlines. So Continental ain't the only ones who screw up.

Edited by chinacat46, 06 February 2005 - 03:18 PM.

#23 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

I'll buy a few t-shirts along the way. Two pairs of shorts and two swim suits are plenty for that deptartment

:evilgrin: Chuck, I always bring a scoop of laundry detergent in a baggie for when those socks or swim trunks need more than bar soap.

Cannot wait until March. It has been three weeks since open water and i cannot wait for that 82 degrees!

#24 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

I haven't dived since the FL Keys before Thanksgiving. Unless of course you count diving in a swiming pool which I've done working towards my DM. I usually bring detergent as well thanx for reminding me. I've gone on 4 month trips before but this will be my longest 'dive' trip. Although I will do other things besides dive.

#25 texasmermaid

texasmermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:158

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:06 AM

(Travelnsj wrote)  I always bring a scoop of laundry detergent in a baggie for when those socks or swim trunks need more than bar soap.

Great idea, what I do is bring about 2 oz. of liquid Woolite for that job. A little goes a long way. I found containers at The Container Store that claim to be leak proof (in the Travel section) and they really don't leak. Being the ziploc queen, of course I put the leak-proof container in a ziploc just in case! :lmao:

One other thing I use the containers for is contact lens solution. I transfer the whole squeeze bottle of lens solution to the Container Store bottle (take the empty squeeze bottle and fill throughout the trip) and haven't lost any solution yet. This is important in remote locations where you can't buy it easily.

I had no luggage trouble with Continental going DFW-IAH-HON-GUM-YAP-ROR and back. Neither did my dive buddy who started from LAX and met up with me in HON. Hopefully all will be fine for you too. :P

Have a GREAT trip - I am jealous since I know what you're going to be seeing in Palau and Yap. I just have to go back! Kamala - I hear the 2006 calendar calling... :teeth:
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped!

#26 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

Chuck, have a great time! Tell Katrina and Bruce I said hello - there's (Kosrae Village Resort) is still my most favorite place I've ever been in the entire world. It is the only place I've been where I seriously considered calling my family and telling them to sell all my stuff that I wasn't going home. And there's TWO lost cities on Kosrae - they can hook you up on hiking tours to both of them.

Are you stopping in Johnson Island? That's an interesting refueling spot!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#27 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

Well we had fun in Yap did 13 dives total and saw lots of neat stuff. The main reason to dive in Yap is the Manta Rays and they are majestic. With a 15 foot wing span these guys glide over you like a hang glider. At one point we had 3 of them crusing around us putting on a show. We were kneeling on the bottom at 87 feet and when I looked at my computer I noticed I was in deco. First time I ever did that. Everybody else was to was we made a safe ascent and did long safety stops. My computer gave me 7 mins but I did more like 15 and saw some more Mantas at another cleaning station which was alot more shallower then the other. Another big highlight for me was seeing ghost pipefish. Got 3 of them on one dive on my birthday!!! Also saw my first Marlin and had an encounter with 7 spinner dolphins. Another dive we found a black spotted stingray laying on the ledge at 100 feet. We got right up next to it and it just watched us. After about 30-40 seconds with 5 of us hanging there blowing bubbles it finally left. To cool. I enjoyed diving in Yap but the viz could have been a lot better. A couple of dives on the outter walls it was tween 50-75 feet but that was rare. In Mi'l Channel it was more like 30 feet or less. The reefs look like they got hit by the typhoon last April either that or I'm just spoiled rotten after diving Wakatobi. I tend to think it was the latter. I also have a broken camera. Got here and the thing was dead. It's an Olympus 5050 and when I turn it on nothing happens. It used to play music and then the lens would pop out but now I can see the batteries are charged but no music no lens nothing :dltears: I had a couple of guys in Yap look at it and they recommended a guy in Palau to have a look at it. I'm heading there after I leave the Internet Cafe. We arrived in Palau last night so nothing really to report on Palau yet. It's friday morning here about 10:30 am. Till my next report have a good one I know I will!

#28 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

Chuck - Sounds absolutely fantastic!!!

Glad you had a memorable birthday, too!

Keep the reports coming!

Terri
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#29 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:12 PM

:welcome: Hi Chuck,

Hope this message finds you.

I have heard the Vis at times can be bad in Yap. You should see quite a few Mantas in Palau and good Vis.

Regarding your camera Kevin Davidson at Sams works on Cameras. Everyone knows him. In fact he is in a article in Sport Diver this coming March.

Keep diving...... you are now in for the best. When you are at the Blue Corner there will be a big Napoleon called "Sweetie" that may nudge you!

Can't wait....... 15 days I'll be there! :teeth:

#30 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:52 PM

Jim what time should I call. We get in really early. I'll email you.

Call anytime you want. If I dont answer I dont answer! I usually hook up with a couple of friends of mine on sundays. They have a 31' Bertram and we take it out trolling and diveing. Of course you could not dive but if you wanted to come along for the ride :welcome: Or if we are not going out that weekend I can be a land guide.

I just called F-n-F's and you aparently were not there. Whats your last name by the way?
Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users