• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The real 'Bag Trick'!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

It's a good question.  I'm thinking about investing in a SP  MK25  S600.
My guess would be cold water wouldn't make a difference as the concept is to get the salt water out.  But I'll wait to hear the correct  decision.

HA! Beat you to it! Mine arrived today.... :lmao: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: Got a deal that I just could not pass up. :thankyou:

Now anxiously awaiting the response myself. 'Course, the bulk of my diving is beach diving in my side yard so JC's bag trick is going to be easier for me to implement. (& maybe more important also)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:47 PM

Do you recommend doing this after every dive (i.e. during the surface interval) or just after your last dive on the way back home on the boat?

YES...you want to do this literally within seconds of ending your dive. EVERY DIVE. The damage to regs occurs when salt and other minerals harden inside the regs and no matter how long you soak them afterwards....they will not return to liquid.

This is the REAL secret to proper gear maintenance.

Our shop owner used a wet bag for his video gear for that reason. He was telling me much the same thing that you have mentioned. The phrasing he used was don't let anything dry out without seeing fresh water first.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:25 AM

I have a vision. A "Single Diver's logo on a plastic lined lunch bag and a 2 liter drink bottle. The Single Diver rinse kit!!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:08 AM

I have a vision. A "Single Diver's logo on a plastic lined lunch bag and a 2 liter drink bottle. The Single Diver rinse kit!!!!

Now pirate or not...you've got a great idea there! Looks like I'll have to see about that!!! :usflag:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:10 AM

I have a vision.  A "Single Diver's logo on a plastic lined lunch bag and a 2 liter drink bottle.  The Single Diver rinse kit!!!!

Now pirate or not...you've got a great idea there! Looks like I'll have to see about that!!! :usflag:

and the lunch bag could double as a lunch bag when not diving!

#21 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water SSI - AOW NAUI
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, Senior Tech. Being newly certified (and not necessarily independently wealthy), I need all the help I can get on how to care for my gear properly.

Anthony

#22 Senior Tech

Senior Tech

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer & Master Repair Technician
  • Logged Dives:Tens of thousands starting in 1950

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, that's great info! One more question - I'll start this after my next dive, but do I then rinse my regulator as before when I return home or is this all it needs?

Yes do your normal soak when you get home. That soak will ensure proper salt removal from hoses and more external parts of your regs.

However the key is to get a quick fresh water rinse done while the regs are still wet with saltwater which means after EVERY dive!

It only takes a few minutes but it will extend the life of your dive gear as well as prevent costly service bills down the road. -JC
"People ask how long I've been repairing regulators...that's easy...ever since there was only one brand and model commercially available." -JC

#23 Senior Tech

Senior Tech

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

It's a good question.  I'm thinking about investing in a SP  MK25  S600.
My guess would be cold water wouldn't make a difference as the concept is to get the salt water out.  But I'll wait to hear the correct  decision.

HA! Beat you to it! Mine arrived today.... :2cool: :o elf: elf: Got a deal that I just could not pass up. :usflag:

Now anxiously awaiting the response myself. 'Course, the bulk of my diving is beach diving in my side yard so JC's bag trick is going to be easier for me to implement. (& maybe more important also)

I do not generally make a lot of gear recommendations however the MK 25 is an excellent regulator. I would however go with the G250 as it is the best stage for the money. The G500 and G600 are reduced size regs and therefore reduced performance for an increased cost. -Senior Tech
"People ask how long I've been repairing regulators...that's easy...ever since there was only one brand and model commercially available." -JC

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:34 AM

Thanks!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 Senior Tech

Senior Tech

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:35 AM

whaddya say, jc....can you use cold water? or will the deposits go back into "solutin" better with warm water?

or is it actually the agitation that is the key?

Warm water rinses better than cold water. However cold water rinses better than no water. I think the best solution would be to fill your bottle with some of the cold water from the cooler, go dive and when you return it will have warmed up sufficiently to rinse your gear effectively. If your choice is to wait until you have warm water or not rinse at all, then by all means use cold water to rinse your regs.

And yes agitation is an important aspect of getting the regs cleaned of salt residue. Just as agitation is key to getting your clothes cleaned doing laundry.

#26 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:03 AM

I do not generally make a lot of gear recommendations however the MK 25 is an excellent regulator. I would however go with the G250 as it is the best stage for the money. The G500 and G600 are reduced size regs and therefore reduced performance for an increased cost. -Senior Tech

Thanks for that very good suggestion! I'm sure you will be seeing my Zeagle Tech 50D soon enough!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#27 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the info. :( How about when you do a bit of pool diving? I am taking my AOW this week and will be in a swimming pool today and thursday. Would you have the same suggestion?

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#28 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

now, most people would think doug was kidding.

TF,

I never, ever kid about the beer cooler. Everything else is open season, but some things are sacrosanct. :(
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#29 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:53 PM

Senior Tech,

Do you have a Word or PDF version of "the bag trick"? I would love a version that I could save off to my hard drive to future/permanent use. Thanks.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#30 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

Doug (or anyone else for that matter), if you PM me your email address I'll email you back a pdf file.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users