• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Back Plate and Wings

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 checkmate

checkmate

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:DSAT Tec, Rescue, Nitrox, etc.

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

Ok, well I am looking into buying the Dive Rite Super Wings and Back Plate, I would appreciate some feed back on this potential purchase, does anyone have experience (good or bad) with dive rite equipment. Double bladder or Single bladder, depending on who you ask you get different answers?

What type of diving I do: For the most part I do cold water diving, I am usually in a dry suit and I am looking for a decent BPW that can handle double steels (HP 104 or 120s) and some stage bottles.

Input & comments would be great

Thanks again

Checkmate

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:22 AM

I can't help you with info on Dive Rite, but did you look at the FredT backblate? I've never heard anything except praise for them.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:39 AM

I'm using a FredT backplate and it has enough slots and holes to mount anything you'll ever want.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 AndrewJD

AndrewJD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, DIR-F
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:54 AM

How much lift are you looking at?

Do you thing you should have a double or single bladder and why?

Jonathan

#5 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:10 AM

Ok, well I am looking into buying the Dive Rite Super Wings and Back Plate, I would appreciate some feed back on this potential purchase, does anyone have experience (good or bad) with dive rite equipment.  Double bladder or Single bladder, depending on who you ask you get different answers?

What type of diving I do:  For the most part I do cold water diving, I am usually in a dry suit and I am looking for a decent BPW that can handle double steels (HP 104 or 120s) and some stage bottles.

Input & comments would be great

Thanks again

Checkmate

Checkmate,

I've always heard good things about D.R. from my cave diving and other techie friends. I will probably end up buying this BC, or one like it, at some point. I like how you can swap out the wings (small or large, depending on the type of diving you want to do). This would be nice for someone who does a "mix" of diving - rec/tech, cold/warm water...

I tried this BC on before and found it to be very comfortable. It has a nice clean profile up front, and it doesn't restrict me in the chest area like some jacket style BC's tend to do.

Dive Rite has a good reputation in the techhie crowd, as least what I have heard.

BTW, I can't resist saying this - you have really NICE arms! Talk about a pair of loaded guns....WOW.

Take care,
Laura

Edited by Laura, 16 April 2004 - 10:11 AM.

WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#6 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:23 AM

Not knowledgeable in Tech stuff, but I use a Halcyon, actually 2, for a single HP120 and 30cf pony... love it... I've looked at the various types and they all seem to be pretty much the same configuration.. like buying a Ford or Chevy... The Halcyon, DIR?, works great and I believe has all the options...
Not much help, but check them out too..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#7 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:43 AM

I have an OMS BP and the Diverite superwings. Would suggest finding a lower lift capability than the superwings (100#). I bought them for 2 reasons: 1. a killer deal, 2. redundant bladder system. The main drawback is the lift capability is so much overkill unless you are diving with dual 120's, a stainless backplate, and 40# of extra crap you won't need them. It tends to flap and is a parachute in currents. The huge space also leads to air being trapped and difficult to get out while rising from the bottom.
65# redundant bag would be a much better choice IMO with what you have stated your needs are.

Recommend list is any BP since most are the same other than chosing SS or Al depending on what you need. I really like having a redundant system with my wings. May never need them but gives me peace of mind. I have Highland Mills band for 120's which also work for my 104's and a Diverite single tank adapter so within a few minutes I have the latitude to dive any configuration needed. My biggest recommendation is to get the Diverite pockets that attach to your leg with velcro and also to the waist band of your harness. It carries stuff and also controls the air bubble that always seems to creep down to my feet in my drysuit.

Dave

Edited by SuperDave, 16 April 2004 - 10:51 AM.

Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#8 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:27 PM

I'd steer clear of the double bladder wings. For those tanks a 55# wing should be plenty of lift for you, even with a couple Al 40's as stages, which will cover most of the deeper situations you sound like you're heading towards. 70# is a LOT of lift, and I'd avoid something that big until you reach the point where you need multiple 80's as stages. Remember, more lift equals more drag, which equals more work moving through the water, so don't buy more than you need.

Your drysuit is a redundant lift source, and a liftbag would be a better choice than the complications of the dual bladder wing, ie excess drag, two corrugated hoses, etc. Nothing wrong with Dive Rite gear per se, but I'd steer clear of the wings they make with bungies, get the wing without them ( I think it's called the classic? )

I'm kind of a poster child for Halcyon, due to where I shop and picking up deals on used stuff, I'm a big fan of their equipment, but there's nothing wrong with Dive Rite at all ( except for their bungee wings ). Oxycheq makes some good gear too, and at pretty good prices too, they're worth checking out.

Fred T, mentioned earlier, makes some pretty sweet backplates and other related items. Most plates are fairly similiar and interchangeable between brands. The cool thing about Fred is he makes different sizes, for really tall & really short people, and he makes thicker plates if you're looking for something heavier ( ie single tank diving where you might want to take some weight off your belt ) If all you want is a 6# SS plate, there's not much difference between the different brands though, and any of them will work for you.

#9 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:37 PM

I just did a quick search on Dive Rite's website... Yes, the Classic wing is what I'd reccommend if you go with them. 59# lift capacity is plenty. I wouldn't even think about the Dual Rec wing...

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

Erin,

You forgot to mention, with a FredT, you get to meet Fred. That's an experience.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

I just bought a Halcyon backplate and wings and love it. A friend of mine from the board found a great deal on it from someone who was getting out of diving so I bought it and am very happy with it. :teeth:

I even got a great deal on it. :lol:

Ana

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

Hi darlin',

I knew you tried one and I knew you were happy with it, but I hadn't heard you bought the BP/wings. I'm glad you have a BC you like.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:54 PM

I just bought it this week :lol:

Ana

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

Good for you!

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:08 PM

So tell me, anyone...
Straps??
X-crossed or Straigh from the Shoulder...

OMS has it X-crossed from back plate over shoulders
Right strap over left shoulder - left over right

DIR requires their set up straight down the shoulders
i.e. Right strap over right shoulder - left over left...

Do you break the soft boiled egg at the small end or the big end.. :teeth:

Inquiring minds wanna know??? :lol:

Congrats wrinkles, it's soooo much cleaner and simplier with a back plate...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users