• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Back Plate and Wings

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:43 PM

Not all wings are made the same. For single tanks, a circular style (doughnut) wing is the best for trim, and ease of use. A horseshoe shape wing for SINGLE tanks will not work as well, and could have gas trapping issues. There are a few manufacturers making these style of wings, including Oxycheq and Halcyon. Oxycheq is a little cheaper than the Halcyon wings, and many people believe a better product overall. This is where the politics come in, and personal choice.

It seems like everyone makes a backplate. Main differences being harness style, metal (aluminum or SS), weight (2,5,6,9,12#, etc...) and design differences. I have a Dive Rite, GUTS, and a FredT plate, and I like them all. Most people are going with the Hogarthian style harness (one piece of webbing), but there are Deluxe harnesses available also with a QR. This is also personal choice. However, I dont think you can go wrong with a standard 5 or 6# SS backplate with a hogarthian rig.

Good Luck!!! Happy Shopping...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#32 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

NP,
I did a search for the FredT backplate, couldn't find anything directly linked but did find this thread which helps explain the systems...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but FredT is someone who makes these (more like a hobby?) and is becoming more recognized and popular.
I couldn't find a web site, so guessing it in the thread (haven't read the whole thing, Senate Hearings are on righ now and wanted to get this off) but believe it has the info..
back in a bit..
Here's the link and 1st paragraph..

Link:

http://www.scubaboar...ead.php?t=16609

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
Ah...

Glad you asked me instead of asking on the board. Both of those two that you're asking about are types of buoyancy control devices, and there's many people who are very passionate about one or the other. Asking anyone, anything about BC's is like asking, "What's a Ford?" or, "What's a Chevy?" It wouldn't be as scary as if someone asked, "What's better... A Transpac, or a bp/wing?" But it's close enough to start a small war on this board. ..... (much more...)
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#33 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:04 AM

Fred is an engineer living in Mississippi, working in New Orleans who makes these plates on the side. I personally don't use a BP, but if I did, I'd look very carefully at his. I know Fred personally and dive with him when I can. I know he is very careful about details.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#34 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:24 AM

Ahh sooo... WW, thanx,
How does one see or get in touch with him... just through a bulletin board?? or does he have a web site to show off the wares??? More looking for a web site...

thanx for any help... LOL.. just gotta check it out... :cool2:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#35 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:43 AM

I dive a Halcyon. For tropical I have the little 18# wing on an AL backplate. It's perfect for travel. I find it helps my photography to get rid of all the front stuff of a BC and have everything behind. I also noted the discussion on straps. I use a straight Hogarthian setup, no releases, etc. It works great for my use. The shoulder straps are just there for control and don't need to be very tight. The weight rests on the hips. Here are a few options. I think you can get FredT information by PM'ing FredT.
http://oxycheq.com/main.html
http://www.swmetalpr...s.com/hhbp1.asp
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#36 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

THanks all. That pretty well supports what I have found also. I will plan one BP, small wings for single tank. Hogarthian style vs QR still TBD. I agree Bandit that the main reason is to get all the crap out of the front of the BC, and tucked away.
Doubles wing when I get to that point, and maybe a SS BP then also.
Diving; My zen space.

#37 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:25 PM

I have one of the horseshoe type Halcyon wings for single tank diving. It has always worked well, no gas trapping issues. I do like the looks ( and pricing ) of the Oxycheq stuff. Halcyon's newest single tank wings are ovals, which should tell you something...

#38 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:16 AM

I personally am a DiveRite fan (in fact if anyone cant find it send me an e-mail @ maninthesea@hotmail.com I'll send it to you)
But I see nothing wrong with OMS or Halcyon gear(other than Bondage wings)
I recomend the SS backplate with strait sholder straps. Check out DR's new transplate harness. I have been diving a homemade version of it for a couple of years and love it. The padded sholders are a must if you dive doubles without a wet or drysuit.
I would recomend staying away from the Superwings also unless you REALLY need all that lift. I had them years ago before the DualRec wings came out. With wings that big you can feel the boyancy shift from side to side as you roll your body during the dive. I use both the Dual rec and the rec now. My criteria for needing the dual bladder is if my configuration puts me so negitive that it is more than a minor effort to swim off the bottom with no air in the wing. Otherwise the dual wings are just extra @!&% waiting to go wrong.
I only dive Steel tanks when I have to (dual 125's and I do have a 45 steel deco tank that I would gladly trade anyone for a AL 30 or 40 if you make it to Guam) With Dual 80's or 100's and a SS backplate I can wear no weight and still be slightly neg at the end of the dive. Got to love that.
Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#39 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

I use the dive-rite classic wings myself, and have found them to be fine, even with double 104's and 2 40 stage bottles.

My plate is a GUTS, made by Gary Hoadley here in Canada. Like the FredT, he can make them in all kinds of sizes and wieghts for people of different stature.
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#40 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:44 AM

ok, here's a chick's point of view.
i switched to the halcyon alum/ 27# for steamlining. i absolutely love it. later this summer, i'm gonna do some doubles (oh, if only THAT were true :usflag: !) and , if i don't kill myself, will probably get a larger bladder (and if only THAT were POSSIBLE!!!!!!!).
now here's the thing. i have my straps crossed. since it's new and the webbing is still stiff, it's uncomfortable until i get into the water. BUT....i have 2 things on my chest that make the straps bind under the arms . if i'm tropical (most of my diving), i can occasionally hook in my thumbs and readjust the girls. but i noticed it was really a pain in the butt with a drysuit (yes, i adjusted the straps for more length).
the girls also kinda push my d-rings WAY outta the way. so i have one on my waist strap (don't use a crotch strap...didn't come with the options I wanted).

so, you techie genius peeps out there...any suggestions? especially form you cold water guys. lubold? any of your female students have that problem? erin? what do seattle chicks do?

thanks all

#41 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:42 PM

Hmmm... I cant say that Ive had this problem (no girls, just two boys, and they arent on my chest, thank god!!!). Hopefully, a female diver with the same issues will come along and comment. I really havent talked to any women divers that have issues with the harness and her endowments. All of my students are usually diving a jacket style BC or a back inflation all in one BC (not my choice, but you gotta love LDS politics).
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#42 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:16 AM

canuck offered a few suggestions (thanks, sweets!) that might help, including a strap across the chest . last night i undid the shoulders, rearranged the d-rings, connected the shoulder straps together so they stay put behind my back, and tried to figure out just where to put that chest strap. the shoulder straps take a detour under the arms right at my pits. so, as i told canuck, the rig is gonna look like something my gay buddies are wearing to IML!!!!! :mauswhip:

i'll be sure to post a picture should the design ever work out....but it'll have to be in the "diving dominatrices" section!

#43 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:19 AM

a straight Hogarthian setup,

bandit, what is this? it's probably what i have, but i didn't know there was a name for it.....
thanks....

Edited by triggerfish, 31 May 2004 - 10:19 AM.

#44 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

Triggerfish,

Hogarthian set-up basically refers to simplified rig with as little stuff on it as you need to dive safely. This is normally a one-piece harness with a BP and Wing.

Personally, I use a DiveRite BP (S/S) with a Classic Wing and a QR on my left shoulder strap. I also have a chest strap as it just ensures that the rig stays more stable on me. I agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea for "the girls" except that I would think that it may squish them a bit. Maybe that is why I don't hear of too many women complaining about BP/W when you would think that they would run into the same issues as you do. So it is more of a "modified" Hogarthian set-up.

I discovered this weekend that I need to buy a lighter wing if I intend to dive singles with this. As Lubold stated, that Classic seems to have trapping issues with the lighter weight. I orginally bought this whole rig for doubles and am trying to adapt to use it for singles. I loved it yesterday, except that I couldn't get the #$#@! wing to vent on command like I am used to.

Edited by Diverbrian, 31 May 2004 - 02:16 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#45 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

I have a halcyon bp/w. The straps don’t bother my 'twins' or interfere with the d-rings at all. The straps go straight down with no crossing just like a backpack.
I do not have a chest strap. I dive with a 7 mil everything and am very comfortable with the set up I have.

If you can TF post a pic.

Ana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users