• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Global Warming

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:04 PM

I'm still convinced that major climate change is going to happen regardless of what we try to do to stop it.  And that, although the animal and vegetable kingdom will recover in time, as has undoubtedly happened in the past, individual species may not survive the process.  I don't have any great confidence that human civilisation will survive, even though humanity as a race may well do.  Mind you, I'm not talking about next year or even next century.  Not sure how long it'll take, but eventually.....

There are a couple of other factors, too. As the earth's temperature rises, increased melting from the polar ice caps deflects warm-water gyral currents, causing temperature reductions. This appears to have occurred in the northeastern part of the US, with the Gulf Stream, as we've had a couple of relatively cool, snowy winters. (Either that, or with the Red Sox beating the Yankees in the playoffs, Hell must've frozen over. :dltears:) Also, the increased evaporation from the warmer weather will create more of a cloud cover, shielding the earth's surface from the sun's rays, also causing cooling. This might be at least part of the explanation as to why our temperatures oscillate from season to season.

Rick
:D

Less crazy after all these years

#47 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

To be honest (as George carlin put it), one day ol' mother earth is going to shake us off like a bad case of fleas, turn off the lights(ice age) for a few millenia and simply start over.....

This will most like not occur for several thousand years yet so there is no point to us worrying about global warming.....

Kyoto was bad for us but worse for the rest of the world. I fail to understand how India and China could be classified as "developing" and exempted from the treaty when they both stock nuclear arms. Seems to me if you know how to build nukes and are stupid enough to actually build and stockpile them, then you have "developed" quite enough. Even if the US population was to reduce it emissions by 75%, exactly how much of a change will that effect on the world, when we represent about 3% of the global population?

Personally, I agree with the idea to reduce our usage of fossil fuels. The increased likelihood of asthma and allergies in our children is reason enough.

We must take steps to increase the use of renewable energy sources. Steps that make this energy source economical and relatively pain free o use.

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users