• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drugs and Diving

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

I have a friends who are divers and they want me to go diving with them but they are big into drugs. I have tried to get them to stop, but they just say that they wont do it for X amount of days before the dive and they will be clean. Does anyone know if that messes up your ability to dive, because I know I can't take my perscription pills and dive because they mess me up bad. I really want to go diving with them but I don't want to put myself at risk, but on the other hand if we go as a group then if something did happen at lest i would be able to react to it if they are so messed up that they can't. I need some info on this, and some advice on what to do. Thanks for yalls help.

Charity

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

Let's assume a best case - no effect. Now, what does their drug use say about their ability to make good decisions? Personally, I don't want to dive with folks if I can't trust them in other situations. They aren't likely to be more careful and conservative while diving than in their everyday lives. I'd pass.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:04 PM

I will ditto Walter.. I live my life clean and sober. I find that I am better able to make clear well thought out decisions that way. While drug use is a personal choice. I do not want to get close to others who are on a path of self destruction. I have lost too many that way already and do not want to love and lose more.
I will not dive with a group that has partied too hard the night before. Diving is dangerous enough without adding any chemical inhibitors.
I would have to say pass on the dive and come dive with us at SD. We know how to have a good safe time.. you are in TEXAS the SD dive capitol of the known World. I know any of the SDers from TX would invite you to join them..
Sorry for the long winded reply but the Mom in me kicked in.....
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't want to have them as friends.....

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

Without arguement, we all have made poor choices and to me these folks are playing with fire. Ask yourself this question, would you sit back and watch them get loaded and then jump into a car and drive to El Paso??

There are have been mant threads on this site dealing with dive safety--

I say PASS!!!!!

DBD

:thankyou:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:25 PM

I would suggest that you stick with the side of safety. You have to do what is comfortable for you. In my case, I know that if I'm not comfortable then there is something wrong and I just won't do it. That has always served me in the past.

Hope that helped

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

Although a child of the 60's who can't remember a thing from that era, I would never mix diving and drugs. For that matter I wouldn't mix drugs with driving, work or anything requiring rational thought. I generally won't drink the night before a dive either. The temple is aging a bit and I don't want its foundation to collapse!

Dr. Bill

#8 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

To steal a Monty Python phrase, "Run away, run away!!"

I am one to push the envelop a bit, but even that would scare me. Put it this way, are you 100% comfortable solo diving? If not, don't go. You do not want to put your safety into their hands IMHO. My $0.02...although it might not be worth quite that much.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Anyone should be free to do what he or she wants on his or her own time so long as it doesn't harm anyone else. So long as you are not under the influence when we dive and are otherwise a good diver, I won't care.

Just be up front with yourself and those around you about when you are under the influence. If there is any doubt, don't dive.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:16 PM

Charity,

I am in Walter's corner on this. If they are doing drugs period, what is to say that they will be reliable dive buddies at all? I would pass and find more responsible dive buddies (and maybe even friends).

Brian
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:47 AM

Anyone should be free to do what he or she wants on his or her own time so long as it doesn't harm anyone else. So long as you are not under the influence when we dive and are otherwise a good diver, I won't care.

What others do when they are not in "my" ocean, on "my" road, etc., is their own business. However, once they step into the public and become a potential liability to others... or require the help of others... they've entered into a different situation where their behavior may affect others knowingly or unknowingly.

Dr. Bill

#12 markglist

markglist

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:master scuba diver
  • Logged Dives:thousands

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:32 AM

As a recovering alkie and drug addict (for almost 10 years now) my perspective on the topic is this, when i was active, i thought the only persons life i was affecting was me since i have never been married and dont have any kids. In the process of getting sober, i realized how wrong i was, and have made the nessecary amends, i was lucky enough that the damage was actually repairable. As far as trusting someone who is actively using while diving, even if they arent under the influence at the time? I DONT THINK SO!!!!! But thats just my humble opinion.

MARK

#13 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

Anyone should be free to do what he or she wants on his or her own time so long as it doesn't harm anyone else.  So long as you are not under the influence when we dive and are otherwise a good diver, I won't care.

What others do when they are not in "my" ocean, on "my" road, etc., is their own business. However, once they step into the public and become a potential liability to others... or require the help of others... they've entered into a different situation where their behavior may affect others knowingly or unknowingly.

Dr. Bill

Well said!

#14 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:36 PM

I had to ponder this one for awhile. I have been around drugs and people on them for over 20 years, and here are my conclusions. It depends on what you mean by drugs. I would go diving with someone who smoked a joint the night before, it the guy that was doing all those cuervo shots I'd be worried about. I'm guessing, however, that you are talking about "harder" drugs. I don't care if someone didn't shoot up for a week before the dive, I ain't going with them. Now if they just do a little rollin' on the weekends, I might consider it. Just guessing from the area you're in I would guess meth. If they are heavy into it, I say no way. It takes a lot longer than a few days to get strait after long term meth use. and that also goes back to the judgment issue. But the key to your whole question, to me, is that if you have to ask, you already know the answer.

Edited by ScubaHawk, 03 April 2005 - 12:40 PM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#15 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

Just guessing from the area you're in I would guess meth.

I don't know what meth is but the drug they are useing is coke. They said that it takes 3 days to get out of your system and that they would just not do it that many days before the dive. To me that seams ok but I am the rookie so I don't know much on that subject. I have never been around people who have done drugs ... until now ... so I don't know the affects or anything so that is why I asked.

Charity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users