• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Coral Disease Outbreak in Sanctuary Investigated

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

The Coral Disease and Health Consortium (CDHC) is responding to a request for assistance by the Flower Garden Banks NMS (FGBNMS) to investigate a coral disease outbreak. Sanctuary scientists report a highly unusual disease outbreak affecting several coral species in an area approximately 50 meters in diameter. This is the first documented report of such a wide-spread occurrence of disease in the FGBNMS. The disease signs are consistent with white plague that is caused by a bacterial pathogen, but will require laboratory confirmation. The CDHC has assembled a rapid response team consisting of coral disease experts from NOAA's National Marine Sanctuaries Program, National Marine Fisheries Service, and the National Centers for Coastal and Ocean Science (NCCOS) http://www.coastalsc...ence.noaa.gov/> ), along with other CDHC partners from EPA, USGS, Florida International University, Mote Marine Laboratory and George Mason University. This team will conduct a field investigation April 4-8 to determine the extent, cause and short-term impacts of the disease outbreak. For more information contact Cheryl.Woodley@noaa.gov.

Rick
:teeth:

The older I get, the better I played.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users