• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Time off

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:21 AM

Something to chew on for us singles here:

How many people here (that actually work for someone besides themselves) get flack from their married co-workers for taking a bunch of three and four day weekends to go diving?

I mean that I get all kinds of cold looks for the Fridays that I have off to go on charters or head to local areas for dive trips this summer. The argument seems to be that "I've got an SO and children, so I have to have my family time. You can fit yours in the scraps that are left as you won't make the commitment to raise a family."

This is definitely a trip related issue as if you tick off co-workers too much (ie. take too much of the "plum" time off and in my case that would be the actually short wreck diving season up here) , they are miserable to work with. :angel2:

I was just curious how many of us cute, single, funny people see this and how they feel/act about it? Humorous replies are appreciated as well as serious ones. :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

The only time they ever gave me grief was when I took 3 weeks in a row but I get 5 weeks annual and management wants me to use every last hour of it, come Nov. I'll get e-mails every week reminding me that I have use or lose.
That is over and above the 240 hours I keep on the books "just in case" and with retirement coming I need cough, cough to use up my 600 hours of sick leave. :angel2:
Did I mention I work flex time, 9 hour days so I get 26 3 day weekends, is this a cool job or what! Filling up all of that time off with dives can sometimes be a problem though! :lam:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:04 PM

I don't understand the question.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:15 PM

since i'm the only employee of my brother's store, his wife gripes everytime i ask for time off because it means he can't stay home to babysit my new nephew. she's got the new mother syndrome where no one understands/is qualified to care for her darling boy and he'll get sick/harrassed by other children even at very qualified childcare facilities. i'm going to michigan/canada for two weeks in july(which btw i was going to see if i could tag-a-long on anyone's local diving adventure...let me know! 7/02-7/12 to be exact), and now she's not speaking to me because she feels as if i'm the irresponsible one of the group even though i told her four months in advance. sheesh....

The argument seems to be that "I've got an SO and children, so I have to have my family time. You can fit yours in the scraps that are left as you won't make the commitment to raise a family."

and that remark is totally unfair. sometimes people act like they have the right and even the obligation to judge your personal life. like LA says...vacation time just accumulates. remind jealous co-workers that they would probably rather you take long weekends than a few months off at a time.

#5 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

A simple "neener neener!" seems to work for me. Of course, then I have to really rub it in by bringing back great pictures, too...........
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#6 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:21 PM

well okay then...seems like that could be an option...too...hmmm... :-D

#7 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:23 PM

Sure, I get harrassed everytime I send out a Vacation notice, but it's all in good fun :)

The day someone gives me grief over taking vacation days, is the day I remind them that I've earned every hour, minute and second of those special days :-D

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

I work with a crew of six people and Mischievous just hit the nail on the head.

I noticed the same phenomenon when I was in the service. The married guys wanted me to work all of the holidays as I didn't have family in the area and they did.

I have been getting some real nasty comments from co-workers about all of the time that I am taking off in the summer months and it is not "all in good fun". I understand their view. They want to spend time with their families. But, I really can't control the fact that charters up here run basically from May to the end of Sept. and that is it! Oh well, they will have to just live with it, I guess.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:55 AM

For us, we choose "prime time" in order of seniority. We do that twice. That way, the newest person in my section gets their first choice before I get my second. Each of these selections must be in 1, 2 or 3 week increments. After that process is completed, any other requests are strictly on a first come, first served basis. The process is fair, so no one has any reason to complain. Single, married, time with familt, dive vaction - none of that comes into play.

Perhaps the process isn't fair for handing out the vacation time where you work? Perhaps if it were fair, there'd be no reason for anyone to complain?

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:48 AM

Where I work it is strictly "first come, first serve" basis. This was never an issue until they cut staffing levels. Now the overtime levels are creeping back up and everybody is getting wealthy and cranky at the same time. :cool1:

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:32 AM

First come, first serve is fair. Tell them to put in for time off if they want it.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:08 AM

basically from May to the end of Sept. and that is it! Oh well, they will have to just live with it, I guess.

NOTE: WW, if you want to schedule trips for points South of me. That tells you when I can go, LOL.

#13 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:21 PM

neener, neener works for me.............Actually I just go and hope I don't more than 2-3,000 messages to return and the stack of paper is no more than a foot or two high on my desk. It might be before and after a trip but I pay for every second I'm gone...Just in a diferent way.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#14 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:46 PM

DB,

I don't get flack because where I work, vacation requests are on a "first come first served" basis. Only a certain number of people can be off at once, so we put in a request and if there is coverage, we take the time off. Sometimes we have to plan ahead and "claim our space" in advance....Summers are not as much of a problem as holidays. Some people here put in their bids for time off around Christmas, as much as 1-2 years in advance!!.

However...I can relate to what you are saying. Some people think that if they have a family, their time is somehow "more important" that a single person's. No dis-respect to the working parents, but I think that is B**S***. EVERYONE needs a little R&R, and your time off is every bit as important as theirs. Wether or not a person is "attached" or a parent, should have NO BEARING on this whatsoever.

Single people make up for it enough as it is...case in point, when co-workers call off to take care of their sick children, the single/childless people have to stay and take up the slack. Don't get me wrong- I think a parent SHOULD be able to take time off to care for a sick child- but it is the non-parenting worker who stays and keeps the place running. So we feel the brunt of it, even thought it's not our kid.

So, based on that- I feel that no one is "entitled" to certain vacation times based on their demographics alone. I feel that a "bidding" system, or senority, etc. is the most impartial, fair way to handle vacation requests.

Take care
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#15 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:16 PM

Seems that part of it is jealousy. They have "obligations" whereas I am free to do things that they cannot. But I will never have the thrill
of having a child look up to me and say "Daddy." I will never get to teach a son to play ball or worry about a daughter getting pregnant.

My life is such an empty void. How dare they criticize me for taking time off. I need that time to go to Cozumel and cry about my pitiful life :welcome:

PS. I am new here and most of what I wrote is sarcasm. I do not feel guilty about taking a trip that I plan a week in advance or one to Australia three days in advance. I do need a female companion though.

Edited by ColoradoPilot, 24 April 2004 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users