• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Force Fin Test

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

Well a LDS suggested to me that the force fins was the way to go, and on and on he went about them. So he let me try a pair last weekend. right off the top they are the Ugliest fin I have ever seen! but looks arnt everything. so off I went to my favorite dive pond. well they where easy to put on as LDS man said. and then going thru the water you couldnt feel much resistance, so that was nice if you have an issue with cramping. it seemed to me I was doing more work finning than my buddy tho. I would say that there not for DMs or Rescue divers because if you have to go after a rouge or lost diver you might become an victim as well. going thru the wrecks was nice with them because of there short length. all in all for general diving i would give them a 7 on a 10 scale.

B2B

Attached Images

• forceFin.jpg

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well a LDS suggested to me that the force fins was the way to go, and on and on he went about them. So he let me try a pair last weekend. right off the top they are the Ugliest fin I have ever seen! but looks arnt everything. so off I went to my favorite dive pond. well they where easy to put on as LDS man said. and then going thru the water you couldnt feel much resistance, so that was nice if you have an issue with cramping. it seemed to me I was doing more work finning than my buddy tho. I would say that there not for DMs or Rescue divers because if you have to go after a rouge or lost  diver you might become an victim as well. going thru the wrecks was nice with them because of there short length. all in all for general diving i would give them a 7 on a 10 scale.

B2B

A number of years ago, I tried a pair of Force Fins. My experience was very similar to yours, with regard to the excessive finning. I'd recommend them for a diver who has relatively weak legs, and isn't going to do any diving in a place where current could become an issue. The name "Force Fins" is a bit of a misnomer.

Rick
:cool2:

The problem drinker is the one who never buys a round.

#3 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, but they're ugly. LOL

#4 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, but they're ugly. LOL

Do they come in yellow (because I am feeling an urge to quack)?
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Try timing a run with them while frog kicking. Then, try it with Jet Fins. Let me know which one wins. :cool2:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

Being ugly is only part of there appeal. "Not only are they ugly but you have to fin more too!"

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

Ok I have to ask WHY ARE THESE BETTER?

1) not attractive
2) you have to work harder

I had a dive buddy who bought some several years ago.. I don't remember seeing him use them after the first dive.

Thanks B2B for the test dive and review. I will buy some when I want my dives to be more work and less fun. aka NEVER
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:42 AM

But that is only one style of force fins. There are many others.
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:55 AM

Yes, they do come in yellow.

Force Fins have gained a degree of popularity because they do work in one situation better than any other fin. That situation is when the diver, trying to flutter, bicycles instead. If you use a bicycle kick, Force Fins will work much better for you than any other kick. Of course, you'll get much better results if you'll just fix your technique and get a pair of Jets.

going thru the water you couldnt feel much resistance, so that was nice if you have an issue with cramping.

Resistance is evidence of actually moving water. If you're not moving much water, you're not providing much thrust. Try the test again with no fins at all, you should feel even less resistance.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

To be honest that is why my orginal pair of Twin Jets hasn't been used in a year. The results of a frog kick is more like a hover in light current and they are great for top end speed (much like the higher gears on my car) while not particularly powerful. They work great with a small tight flutter kick, but like many techies, dive pros and an increasing number of other divers, I seldom use a flutter kick anymore. I tend to use a frog kick about 85 percent of the time.

The Force Fins are something that I don't use and don't intend to. I have my Dive Rites and dive them with full tech gear on wrecks with no bad results except for sore legs. And add caves as my tech instructor uses them for cave diving as well (a course that he has indicated that he feels that I should take).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#11 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

I have a pair of split fins and Force Fins. I have used them both in many different situations, and actually like the force fins - even if they are ugly. I will agree that if there is going to be much of a current, they aren't the ones I'd go with, but they are comfortable and easy to use when you don't need a lot of force or power. Often I use them after I been on several dives, will be diving relatively shallow, and will be going at a slower pace.

I frog kick in them quite a bit and don't have much of a problem, but I think like other equipment, it's often what you get used to.

#12 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Yes, they do come in yellow.

Force Fins have gained a degree of popularity because they do work in one situation better than any other fin. That situation is when the diver, trying to flutter, bicycles instead. If you use a bicycle kick, Force Fins will work much better for you than any other kick. Of course, you'll get much better results if you'll just fix your technique and get a pair of Jets.

going thru the water you couldnt feel much resistance, so that was nice if you have an issue with cramping.

Resistance is evidence of actually moving water. If you're not moving much water, you're not providing much thrust. Try the test again with no fins at all, you should feel even less resistance.

Ok, here comes another of my stupid questions. Why do people bicycle? It just doesn't seem natural. It's not like a dog paddle that has to be trained out of kids as they learn to swim. On the live-aboard I was on, a whole family did it. Many of us tried to extoll the virtues of any other kick, they would nod, continue to bicycle kick, and come back tired.

Walter(Yoda), with your extensive training experience, maybe you know.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

I have a WAG, but keep in mind, that's all it is. The bicycle kick is similar to the walking or running motion of our legs. Especially, for people who are not good swimmers, it seems more natural to bicycle. Often, they are not even aware they are bicycling. It was a struggle for me to overcome when I started diving.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:19 PM

For me, I can tell you I don't bicycle kick...but my frog kick leaves alot to be desired! I've been told I have way too much downward motion so I'm planning to review SDM post and revise on the Saba trip :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users