• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits vs. Drysuits

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

Hi All,

I've just started searching around for beginner diving classes and have discovered that some facilities offer classes utilizing wetsuits only while others offer both wet and drysuit diving. The wetsuit place recommends starting with wetsuits only as drysuits are a whole other kettle of fish and might be "too much information" for a newbie such as myself just starting out.

I asked about the temperature factor and was told that even in a wetsuit, the layer of water between one's skin and the wetsuit heats up and acts as an insulator, making it not much different than being in a drysuit with layers of underwear on. I'm guessing that this might be true up to a point but once in "cold" waters, maybe the drysuit is the better way to go.

On the other hand, if I'm paying for a beginner course, perhaps exposure to both suits would be worthwhile for an extra $100.

My questions are, how did you learn to dive? Wetsuit? Drysuit? Or both?

Also, what seems to be most people's preferences now that they're experienced? Even in "warm" waters, do you still feel more comfortable temperature-wise in a drysuit rather than wetsuit?

Thx!
annasea

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:21 AM

This is an issue of personal comfort. As I noticed Vancouver, BC as your location; I would recommend exposure to both suits. As a general rule, females tend to get colder faster than males to begin with. The lighter or more "in-shape" that the person is, the more pronounced that this cooling effect tends to be. In other words, I skinny stick figure of a guy will tend to get colder faster than a larger individual.

You have beautiful diving up where your location indicates (I am told, I have never had the opportunity to go west of the Chicago area myself.), but it is NOT warm water diving.

Our shop in Michigan does this and it doesn't take us that much longer in class for the drysuit session.

Warning: Once you dive dry, you may never want to dive wet again. :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

I learned to dive in a swimsuit. It's still what I prefer to wear when diving. There's something to be said for the feeling of being caressed by the ocean. OTOH, when it's cold, you need the exposure protection of either a wet or dry suit. I started using a wet suit that first winter of diving and I still wear a wet suit when diving relatively cold water. Below 50 degrees, I want the additional warmth of a dry suit. A wet suit is not nearly as warm as a dry suit with thermals. Learning a dry suit was extremely easy for me, but I learned it after I already had diving down pretty well as I'd already been diving actively for about 16 years at the time. If you can handle it, I'd recommend learning the dry suit in your area.

Warning: Once you dive dry, you may never want to dive wet again.

That only applies in cold water. I still prefer just a swimsuit - temperature permitting.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:20 AM

I have both.

In colder waters dry suits are NICE. Thick wet suits and semi-dry suits and hoods will keep you warm enough, but not as warm and often not as comfortable. That, and it's nice when the weather is cooler to take the suit off and be dry!

With that said, in warmer waters you'll appreciate the convinence and ease of a conventional wet suit (or shorty). Wet suits are much less bulky, take less room, cost a lot less and take no additional effort to use. However, trying to put on a cold damp wetsuit can be an aggravating and chilling experience!

Dry suits are expensive, take additional training, are bulky, require more care and more maintenance. They will definately keep you warm, though.

While learning to dive use the wet suit. You have too many things to get used to and to accomplish without having to deal with controlling a dry suit. Once you get comnfortable in the water, and if you intend to do a lot of diving in colder climates then learn to dive dry.

If you like, check out some dry suits here.

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

I learned to dive in a swimsuit. It's still what I prefer to wear when diving. There's something to be said for the feeling of being caressed by the ocean. OTOH, when it's cold, you need the exposure protection of either a wet or dry suit. I started using a wet suit that first winter of diving and I still wear a wet suit when diving relatively cold water. Below 50 degrees, I want the additional warmth of a dry suit. A wet suit is not nearly as warm as a dry suit with thermals. Learning a dry suit was extremely easy for me, but I learned it after I already had diving down pretty well as I'd already been diving actively for about 16 years at the time. If you can handle it, I'd recommend learning the dry suit in your area.

Warning: Once you dive dry, you may never want to dive wet again.

That only applies in cold water. I still prefer just a swimsuit - temperature permitting.

Actually, I am with the John Chatterton's (and many other cold water divers) of the world. Being cold impedes circulation (even slightly) as the blood vessels constrict. Impeding circulation impedes off gassing. Impeding off- gassing leads to increased risk of DCS. Hence, I do everything that I can to avoid being chilled.

Even in warm water, the lightest suit that I will dive is a full 3mm. The problem that I see with taking OW in wetsuit (since DCS really shouldn't be a major issue at the depths and times of the average OW training dives) is that it just tends not to be as comfortable. Then, you have students forever swearing off diving anywhere with cold water because they never had a chance to dive it in a way that they could stay warm on surface intervals. It also leads to a waste of money that can go to a useable drysuit when the new cold water diver buys a two piece seven mil that collects dust after they learn to dive dry (like my perfectly good two piece Henderson Hyperstretch that hasn't been touched since my first season of diving).

If students have the option, the training to use a drysuit is normally not that bad and they something warm for the surface intervals (if you have ever had a chilly wind whip through wet neoprene you will know what I mean).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

Being cold impedes circulation (even slightly) as the blood vessels constrict. Impeding circulation impedes off gassing. Impeding off- gassing leads to increased risk of DCS. Hence, I do everything that I can to avoid being chilled.

No arguments, I only skip the exposure suit when it's warm. I have gotten over heated diving without a suit. The Gulf gets like bath water in the summer.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:35 AM

Since we're diving roughly the same waters...

Dive Dry.....

If you don't when you start out, you will when you figure it out.. (joking here)

In Calif, Los Angeles, I learned in a wet suit... seemed to work OK, but if I were to go there now, I'd take the dry suit - although you can get overheated if the sun is out, you can always remove the undergarments and unzip on the surface..

Moved to Seattle, dove wet for a while. The summer is not as bad as the winter, water doesn't change too much in temp.. 46-48f with thermoclines 38 to 60f... exceptions only.

Learning Dry takes a little time, but they are offering it more and more with the beginning classes and I've dove with a few newbies. After fine tuning the initial weighting set, it just takes more diving to adjust to the buoyancy factors, they were fine.

Learning Wet is easier, but colder, obviously. A lot of Canadians I've see seem to like diving wet.. heheh.. dunno why... or how (maybe the beer keeps them warmer?- joking), but they do. The biggest issue diving wet is the break between dives...you can usually do the 1st dive and just come out numb... but waiting for the 2nd dive is the killer.

Evenually, you'll go dry - assuming your diving on a regularly basis. Some just learn to dive and then make the mistake of going on a trip the "The Coz" (Cozumel) right away, or anyother warm water diving, come back as converted WWW (Warm Water Wussies) and just dive warm water.

So, bottom line depends upon how enthusiastic you are about diving. If diving is "IT" ...then learn dry and get it over with.

If you still not sure about diving, then dive wet, keeping in mind that you can dive warm so don't let cold be an issue.

If you're young, you can probably get away wth diving wet, and since summer is coming it'll be easier, but know that eventually, you'll go dry... just depends upon how much you like to suffer... :welcome:
It's just not fun diving cold... and you'll get discouraged easily... so dive dry...

Hope that helps...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

annasea,

Having learned to dive in Vancouver I have one word for you - DRYSUIT!! I have never been so cold in my life as diving in Vancouver waters in a wetsuit. The diveshop that I took my OW course with said I would likely be fine in the 7mm wet - well I wasn't! I got so cold they thought I was hypothermic and almost wouldn't let me in for my second dive. I referred my last two dives to my trip that I was taking in the Phillippines...

Everyone else taking their OW course that was diving the day that I dove spent the extra on a drysuit. Money well spent in my opinion.

Once you get to warmer waters it will be easy for you to learn to dive in a wetsuit.

Good luck to you!

Michelle

#9 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

Ouch! here in (the deep) South Carolina, during Winter months the shops do pool sessions in an indoor heated pool. Then it's off to Florida for the open water....too cold to learn when the water is less than 60 deg. F. LOL

The coldest I've been was in Lake Michigan. It was July and okay on the surface but when we got to the bottom it was 38 deg. F. I purchased a dry suit the next day.

#10 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

okay on the surface but when we got to the bottom it was 38 deg. F. I purchased a dry suit the next day

LOL.. yeah, that usually where the extremes are...and fresh water lakes or with a mountain stream dumping in the ocean... it does get a little chilly..

Oh Yeah, heheh :lmao: , Great the first 2-3'... nice a warm... but drop down to where the sun don't shine, in fresh water, and it's a tad cooler...

Edited by fbp, 14 April 2005 - 05:20 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#11 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:38 PM

okay on the surface but when we got to the bottom it was 38 deg. F. I purchased a dry suit the next day

LOL.. yeah, that usually where the extremes are...and fresh water lakes or with a mountain stream dumping in the ocean... it does get a little chilly..

Oh Yeah, heheh :lmao: , Great the first 2-3'... nice a warm... but drop down to where the sun don't shine, in fresh water, and it's a tad cooler...

It's amazing how that third thermal (and being 135 feet down in Lake M chilled and shaking) can cause one to locate available funds for much "needed" items! LOLOL. But I haven't used the dry suit since moving away from Chicago.

Lake M was a lot of fun, though...great wrecks and always very well preserved. Almost as if they were in a meat locker :D

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:29 PM

Well I think you've convinced me - dry it will be!

Another question is . . . do most people have 2 suits? dry and wet? depending on where you're diving? Or do most people either just dive 'warm' or 'cold'? I ask this because if you're in tropical waters, do you not get hot and uncomfortable both in the water and out between dives if you're in a drysuit? Or in tropical waters, do most do as Walter does, and dive in a bathing suit?

thx again!
annasea

#13 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yes, 2 suits...

Cold water = Dry suit - High Tide, DUI or ???

Warm water = really depends on how chilled you get. I use a 3/5mm full wet suit and it's great. Full size to keep from getting stung, jelly fish etc... and the 3/5 keeps me warm.

Despite "Warm" water, you can get a real chill at the end of the day and the boat is wandering around looking for you....

Hope that helps... After while you start to accumulate things and that's good, as they can server as backups...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

Despite "Warm" water, you can get a real chill at the end of the day and the boat is wandering around looking for you....

Actually, at 93 degrees or above, you will not get chilled.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:32 PM

You're absolutely right...

I was just going by "my" experience in warm water trips and also brings to mind the times, again My Experience, in a hot tub, higher than 93 and getting chilled after a while...

But I'm sure no one else does... as I did say "Can?? get chilled..."

...you can get a real chill ...

Not "WILL" get chilled..

All that to say, if one gets chilled easily, then dress up accordingly...
Nothing complicated there...
like going out side...
if you get chilled, put on a sweater regardless of what others are doing... i.e. running around in a T-shirt...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users