• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits vs. Drysuits

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

Come dive Venice Beach with me in August, you can get overheated in just a swimsuit. If the temp is 93° F or higher you will not get chilled regardless of how long you are in it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#32 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

I love my drysuit, BUT...

1. It has significantly more drag than a wetsuit, and mine fits right. If yours doesn't then its even worse.

2. You ROAST on the surface if the air is warm. The trade is you're not cold underwater.

I generally will dive dry with water temperatures under the mid 70s for a recreational (no deco) dive, and for anything I've done for a long exposure - being cold on deco really sucks, besides being dangerous. Even if you're warm when swimming, try doing a half-hour or more of deco in the same water and you won't be!

As was mentioned, add helium to the breathing gas and suddenly what was very comfortable in a wetsuit isn't any more due to the thermal conduction differences.

#33 CaliD

CaliD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Dry Suit
  • Logged Dives:~100

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:28 PM

I learned to dive in the cold quarry waters in Ohio. That was in the old 1/4 inch black neoprene days. When I picked up diving again it was the hassle of getting into a wet suit that had me go dry. So much easier getting suited up, oh yea and still warm after the 3rd dive of the day is a great benefit.

#34 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

When I picked up diving again it was the hassle of getting into a wet suit that had me go dry. So much easier getting suited up, oh yea and still warm after the 3rd dive of the day is a great benefit.

2 questions for you, CaliD, or whomever else would like to respond (from the board's token diver-to-be):

1. Just how big a hassle is it to get into a wetsuit? (I haven't seen any mention of this before.)

2. Where are you generally diving that temperature-wise, you're more comfortable in a drysuit than a wetsuit after the 3rd dive? (I would have thought that SoCal would be rather 'warm' -- assuming that's where you primarily dive.)

Also, seeing that the above is your first post -- :teeth: from :luvsign: !

#35 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:53 PM

A wet wetsuit is a pain to get into. A dry wetsuit isn't too difficult.

I've only done 2 dives in one day so can't comment on 3 dives however I was a LOT warmer and more comfortable after 2 dives in my drysuit than I was in my wettie... and that was in summer/autumn (fall) Perth, West Oz.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#36 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:59 PM

1. Just how big a hassle is it to get into a wetsuit? (I haven't seen any mention of this before.)

Not a big deal, really. You just smear a little Crisco on your thighs and slide right in. :teeth:

(ok, seriously: the thicker the wetsuit, the bigger the difficulty, although you get used to it rather quickly. It's easiest to kinda turn the wetsuit almost inside-out, pull it on over your ankles, and then sorta roll it on until it's right-side-out. Putting on a damp wetsuit is quite a challenge, however... you either want it really wet or really dry when you don it - otherwise, Crisco... :luvsign:)

2. Where are you generally diving that temperature-wise, you're more comfortable in a drysuit than a wetsuit after the 3rd dive? (I would have thought that SoCal would be rather 'warm' -- assuming that's where you primarily dive.)

I remember my very first trip to San Diego... it was about 90 degrees out, and I was at the beach... I made a mad dash for the water in my swimsuit, and stayed in about 30 seconds. As I recall, water temps even in SoCal are in the mid 60s... a wetsuit would be okay in those temps, but a drysuit for repetitive dives would be MUCH more comfortable.

Just FYI, water temps in and around Vancouver are generally in the 45-50 degree range. For your diving there, you'll use either a 7-mil "farmer john" wetsuit, which will provide two thick layers around your core, or you'll use a drysuit. You'll be comfortable in the wetsuit for two dives, but a third dive in those temperatures will require a drysuit.

:usflag:

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#37 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

Katelin,
If you're going to be diving up here, assuming you will be, a dry suit should be in your life quickly...

I"ve dove wet in So Cal, Catalina, Islands etc for several years and it was ok, but boarding on cool.. dove up here wet and that didn't last long... summer is usually ok, but after the 3 days of summer, it's dry... so now all dry... Dry is easier to get into...
dive wet in the tropics but even then a full 3/5 suit... works just fine...
Hope that helps..

ps. was really impressed that you came all the way down for the HH at Alki.. .heheh.. kewl...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#38 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

By the way, I'll echo a comment made earlier in this thread:

The diving around where you live is EPIC. TRULY spectacular. Yeah, it's a challenge, and there's lots of gear, and it can be cold, but it is incredible. I've been diving in the Caribbean and in the South Pacific, but my very favorite diving I've done to date is around Vancouver Island.

And if you learn to dive there, you can dive anywhere... warm water will feel like you're cheating or something. :teeth:
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."

#39 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

Katelin,
If you're going to be diving up here, assuming you will be, a dry suit should be in your life quickly...

I"ve dove wet in So Cal, Catalina, Islands etc for several years and it was ok, but boarding on cool..  dove up here wet and that didn't last long... summer is usually ok, but after the 3 days of summer, it's dry... so now all dry... Dry is easier to get into...
dive wet in the tropics but even then a full 3/5 suit... works just fine...
Hope that helps..

ps.  was really impressed that you came all the way down for the HH at Alki.. .heheh.. kewl...

What about semi drysuits? I saw an advert for them in Northwest Dive News and quite liked the look of them. (No apology. It's the girly-girl in me! The pics I've seen of regular drysuits just aren't pretty! :teeth:)

Are these semis good for anything? Does anyone out there own one and actually use it?

Also, Genesis brought up an interesting point regarding the fit and subsequent 'drag' potential of a drysuit. What happens if one's weight fluctuates by 10 or 15lbs, for example?

The drysuit pics I've seen look like they fit rather baggy, so I would have thought that 'fit and drag' wouldn't be much of an issue, but after reading Genesis's post, and the 'Custom Drysuit Saga of Michelle', it does indeed seem to be an issue.

Frank, I'm pleased you were impressed! Next time though, we'll have to sit at the same end of the table. :luvsign:

#40 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

The diving around where you live is EPIC.  TRULY spectacular.  Yeah, it's a challenge, and there's lots of gear, and it can be cold, but it is incredible.  I've been diving in the Caribbean and in the South Pacific, but my very favorite diving I've done to date is around Vancouver Island.

And if you learn to dive there, you can dive anywhere...  warm water will feel like you're cheating or something.  :luvsign:

LOL!!!

Well I'm certainly not one to cheat -- not even on my taxes! :teeth: -- but after seeing a slide presentation by an underwater photographer/diver on the underwater treasures and treats of Bali, I question how anything in the Vancouver area can match it. Except for large aquatic mammals perhaps.

#41 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:29 AM

In my experience, there's no such thing as a "semi" dry suit. You're either wet or your dry. "Semi-dry" is like being "Semi-pregnant". :luvsign:

As far as form-fitting and flattering are concerned... ummm... well. How do I say this...

Okay. I'll just say it. Chicks in neoprene are SMOKIN' HOT. :teeth:

In my opinion, the discussion of drysuit drag is over-stated. Diving is a slow, relaxing activity. We're not out to set any speed records. Yeah, there's a little more drag with a drysuit, but diving dry in the Northwest is far more comfortable in the long run.

As far as baggy is concerned, yeah, by necessity, a drysuit will be a little baggy. That can be a nice thing, because you have a little wiggle room and can also adjust the amount of insulation you wear underneath your suit to allow for winter and summer diving (and winter diving is the BEST up here!)

Drysuits aren't going to win any awards on the runways of Paris or Milan, but they do have a COOL factor to them that can't be over stated... after all, how else would James Bond blow up a submarine while fending off sharks with fricken' laser beams and then climb out of the water in Tuxedo? :usflag: Hah!

-d

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:36 AM

Okay.  I'll just say it.  Chicks in neoprene are SMOKIN' HOT.  :teeth:

Drysuits aren't going to win any awards on the runways of Paris or Milan, but they do have a COOL factor to them that can't be over stated...  after all, how else would James Bond blow up a submarine while fending off sharks with fricken' laser beams and then climb out of the water in Tuxedo?  :dance:  Hah!

-d

:luvsign:

Two thoughts:

On point one:
I totally agree! I much prefer the sexy, slinky look of a wetsuit, but didn't want to seem all shallow and such by posting it here. Thx for doing it for me! :usflag:

On point two:
Well, if James Bond can get away with wearing a tuxedo under his drysuit, I'm sure I can slither out of mine in something just as flattering! :cool1:

Whew! Fashion crisis averted. Thx, David! :2cool:

#43 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:15 AM

...after seeing a slide presentation by an underwater photographer/diver on the underwater treasures and treats of Bali, I question how anything in the Vancouver area can match it.

Thread hijack warning.

Frank's the real photographer amongst us, but I keep trying. Here's a few photos from around Vancouver... I don't begin to do the area justice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

...after seeing a slide presentation by an underwater photographer/diver on the underwater treasures and treats of Bali, I question how anything in the Vancouver area can match it.

Here's a few photos from around Vancouver... I don't begin to do the area justice.

Curse you, David Evans! :luvsign:

I'm trying to justify my reasons to dive elsewhere -- somewhere warm, sunny, tropical, lusty . . .
somewhere near Walter perhaps . . . :usflag: :cool1: :teeth:

Now you're just enticing me to stay. :2cool:

#45 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

Okay. I'll just say it. Chicks in neoprene are SMOKIN' HOT. :teeth:

Hell... I can be as shallow as the next man... they can be really hot and I reckon annasea would boil the sea dry. :luvsign:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users