• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits vs. Drysuits

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#46 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:23 AM

Well, if James Bond can get away with wearing a tuxedo under his drysuit, I'm sure I can slither out of mine in something just as flattering! :luvsign:

I reckon so! :teeth:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#47 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

I'm also in the market for a dry suit right now. I've only been diving less than a year and I all ready have a full skin, 3mm and a 7mm. The 7mm was to get me started in the cooler waters of the northeast. Well, it got me started until last Staurday. At 48F, the 7mm kept me alive, but I was so cold I had to skip my second dive. Once I get the dry suit I have a feeling I'll never use the 7mm again.

The others I will still use, the skin for basic skin protection in warm waters and the 3mm for power diving like we did on the liveaboard last April. The water was 78-80F, which I can dive in a bathing suit, but doing 4-5 dives a day, it would have taken its toll.

Also, yes, yous wimmen look hot in dem wet suits. :)
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#48 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

As David says, you're either wet or dry...

However????? :)

Hi-Tide is a neoprene, just like a wet suit.. not as thin skinned, causing wrinkles, as a DUI or Crushed (thin) suit...
WW has one and I think likes it...
Photos at: (I can't post, not allowed - or something like that)
GOTO:
http://www.poolesdiv..._PNWhunt029.htm

See how smooooooooth and ???? those suits are...

But in fact, as David points out, drag isn't an issue that I've noticed... if you going fast enough to worry about "Drag" you're not diving.. it's like a soft relaxing Cloud... just hovering or drifting as you would
over the krap...
(heheh... wouldn't want to ruin the mood)

Katelin, you're starting to worry me... (joking here) I'm hearing :lmao: you're looking for excuses not to do it..
Just gotta jump in and go with the normal and then, over time, you'll get down to what you need and don't need...

I have 3 drysuits...
My old Neoprene - bought used and that's not a bad idea to get started.. fits like a glove, just the same as a wet suit.
DUI - flexible, moveable and of course dry... never noticed drag, it buttons down.
Hi-Tide - slicker, smoother and my current choice... (see ww's suit above)

A-hem Mr Evans... your photos are always outstanding and do miss your web site showings.. hopefully??? you'll get them back up???

Heheh... However??? LOL...
In the mean time...
here's my dive site photos of various trips, sites and gallery... mainly of the PNW and Katelin & Michelle's way.. Love our good friends from the North..
http://www.poolesdive.com

And I beleive David still has some under his name? (search?)
at:
http://www.snapnshoot.org

But also has a web site... I'll let him post it if he chooses to.. but beautiful shots of everything including "Olive" his dear friend at Alki Cove 2... GPO (Giant Pacific Octo)

Hope that'll get you into the water eh??

ps. Same end of table, next time for sur... :P
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#49 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:45 PM

Katelin, you're starting to worry me... (joking here) I'm hearing  :)  you're looking for excuses not to do it..

:lmao: Not at all!

Well, not quite . . . just looking for excuses/justification for a vacation somewhere nice and toasty warm! :P

I spoke with a dive outfit here in Vancouver that Walter suggested and their advice is to learn to dive dry in Vancouver waters. Apparently, if I can dive here, I can dive anywhere! (Similar to what David had written earlier in the thread.)

#50 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

drag isn't an issue that I've noticed... if you going fast enough to worry about "Drag" you're not diving

Drag is certainly a concern when having to deal with strong currents or my favorite, SCOOTERING :) :lmao: :P !
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#51 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

Apparently, if I can dive here, I can dive anywhere!

That's what my instructor said! We did out Search and Recovery dive in murky waters, visability about 2 ft. If you can do it in these conditions, you can do it anywhere.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#52 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

Apparently, if I can dive here, I can dive anywhere!

That's what my instructor said! We did out Search and Recovery dive in murky waters, visability about 2 ft. If you can do it in these conditions, you can do it anywhere.

Thx for the feedback, CaptSaaz! Just what I need, more reasons to dive dry! :P

Seriously, it's great to read about the importance of and benefits of drysuits, and the reasons for learning to dive in them.

I guess in this situation, it's better to take the long route, rather than the shortcut. ;)

Also, congrats on your AOW!!! :lmao: :teeth: :teeth:

Edited by annasea, 24 June 2005 - 06:22 PM.

#53 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, here's something "Lite and Stylish"
Here’s a look at our NEMOSUIT equipped with the “new and improved” NEMO II Helmet.
http://www.vulcanias...NEMOSUIT II.htm

But seriously folks: :lmao:

Pinnicle? has a new wet/dry suit.. apparently a wet suit with ah fiber/fleece like liner that holds the water in with out circulating.... apx 1/3rd cost of a dry suit and could probably use it tropical too...
Just a thought... don't know anything more nor do I recommend it...
just tossing it out as an option to look at...

I certainly wouldn't get the one cmt is "Working On"... unless of course they will give you a refresher diving course when it finally arrives...
you'll be so long since you got certified, you'd need to be retrained eh??? :teeth:
Heheh.. Just joking cmt... hope you get it before the oceans dry up...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#54 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

Pinnicle? has a new wet/dry suit.. apparently a wet suit with ah  fiber/fleece like liner that holds the water in  with out circulating.... apx 1/3rd cost of a dry suit and could probably use it tropical too...
Just a thought... don't know anything more nor do I recommend it...
just tossing it out as an option to look at...

Oh! I wonder if this is the semi drysuit that I mentioned earlier?

It seems to be called the Polar Semi DrySuit, and is form-fitted like a wetsuit, rather than baggy like a drysuit. I'll visit their website and take a better look. (pinnacleaquatics.com)

Thx for the heads up, Frank!

Edited by annasea, 24 June 2005 - 06:46 PM.

#55 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

I certainly wouldn't get the one cmt is "Working On"... unless of course they will give you a refresher diving course when it finally arrives...
you'll be so long since you got certified, you'd need to be retrained eh??? teeth.gif
Heheh.. Just joking cmt... hope you get it before the oceans dry up...

ah, fbp, well spoken, the semi dry is a beast that must be well fitted. Can work well, but fitting must be precise. I had a Mare's semi dry once upon a time.... fit great until I gained 10 lbs--very unforgiving. Think ahead, think ahead, my rule always....
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#56 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

Although I have dove my Cressi Semi Dry in fairly cold water, I just recently went Northen Diver CNX for a dry suit and it's like buttah - like a Land O' Lakes moment each time I get in the water now.

If you can afford dry suit, go for it - you won't be sorry when you are doing multiple dives in cold water...

Katelin, Your advice isabsolutely dead on. When I dove Cabo a few years back, it was a dream to jump in with a 3mm suit and little weight - made a couple of dives to over 100 feet and was a piece of cake. was hilarious to hear the Dive Masters complain about the water being cold and 60' viz being crappy.. :flower:

Edited by freedivers, 24 August 2005 - 04:46 PM.

Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#57 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:32 PM

I just recently went Northen Diver CNX for a dry suit and it's like buttah - like a Land O' Lakes moment each time I get in the water now.

Cliff,

If you make it back to this thread, can you please explain the main features of your drysuit that were the deciding factors in you buying it over another suit and why? (ie. comfort, price, *packability*, etc.) As well, if anyone else is reading this, I'd love to read your comments too.

Kamala sold me on drysuits with her "dry is dry" comment -- as did ScubaDadMiami -- so I will definitely be purchasing one in the future. But rather than relying on the information given to me buy dive shops that sell drysuits, I'd like to hear/read more from the people that actually buy and wear drysuits. ;)

It's a big purchase, and I'd like to get it right the first time, or at least think I did for a few years. :flower:

TIA :fish:

Edited by annasea, 24 August 2005 - 06:35 PM.

#58 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

I just recently went Northen Diver CNX for a dry suit and it's like buttah - like a Land O' Lakes moment each time I get in the water now.

Cliff,

If you make it back to this thread, can you please explain the main features of your drysuit that were the deciding factors in you buying it over another suit and why? (ie. comfort, price, *packability*, etc.) As well, if anyone else is reading this, I'd love to read your comments too.

Kamala sold me on drysuits with her "dry is dry" comment -- as did ScubaDadMiami -- so I will definitely be purchasing one in the future. But rather than relying on the information given to me buy dive shops that sell drysuits, I'd like to hear/read more from the people that actually buy and wear drysuits. :fish:

It's a big purchase, and I'd like to get it right the first time, or at least think I did for a few years. ;)

TIA :D

Ok - I'm sort of a tech weenie (this goes from digital cameras to computers to dive gear)

My opinions are just that - opinions. Everyone has one just like arm pits - some stink and some dont.. :flower:

It's a toss up for me on Drysuits - I prefer either Northern Diver or Whites Drysuits. I went with Northen Diver because the price was lower than Whites, but has many of the same features as the Whites drysuits.

My suit has integrated boots - I prefer that over having to wear an accessory boot.

My particular suit has a front zip so that it is more or less self donning - ie; no one has to help me zip up when it's time to get in the water.

The material my Cortex (not CNX as I originally posted) is made from is very durable - here's what it looks like (I have the blue one on the left):
Posted Image

Here are some of the features of my drysuit:

Built from Ultra-Durable Cordura
Rubber taped, sealed for life seams
Neo-warm cuffs
Unique cut ensures optimum fit & comfort
Internal braces
Equipment pocket
Swivel inflation valve & hose
Adjustable exhaust valve
Complete with Dry suit bag, manual and maintenance kit
In addition, whereas all other drysuit companies warrenty their drysuit zipper for one year, ND extends it to 2 years.

Add that I chose the self donning zip and you can see why I felt it was a good value for the money - US$1499 complete.

A fabric suit is preferred for diving deeper than 60 feet as you can add thicker thermal fleece undergarments for colder water or thinner for warmer waters. Neoprene drysuits are preferred if you know you won't be going deeper than 60 feet. They are more streamlined that a fabric suit, but you can get a fabric suit that is pretty much a custom fit off the rack.

White's suits are nice as well. They even make one for tropical conditions which I think is cool. They do have a coolness factor in their looks over the ND suits, but that is neither here nor there in functionality.
Posted Image

Not a big fan of the DUI or USIA suits as they seem to not be as well constructed for what you pay for them, but I'm sure someone who owns one out there will disagree with me.

Hope this answers some of your questions - give me a shout if you need more advice - I have several dive shop related web clients I can inquire if I can't answer your question.

Edited by freedivers, 24 August 2005 - 07:07 PM.

Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#59 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

Cliff,

Your detailed post was most informative! :o

But of course, I do have a few more questions. :D

The impression I'm getting from posts by ScubaDadMiami, Nicolle, and Michelle is that different fabrics have different benefits and drawbacks too, I suppose.

For example, your cordura is durable, but is it flexible (for wear and travel packing)? (SDM's latest drysuit only has cordura on certain spots of the suit that take more abuse than others; the knees for example.)

Nicolle's trilam is compact but according to Michelle, not as warm as neophrene.

Michelle's neophrene is warmer than trilam, but if you're layering undergarments underneath it anyway, is warmth in the drysuit itself really a consideration?

As for undergarments, what are you wearing?

Nicolle recommends Weezle undergarments, and Michelle was planning on buying thinsulate. According to CoquiDiver (sp?), thinsulate keeps its thermal qualities even when wet.

What I especially liked about your suit, Cliff, is that it has a front zip. I'd prefer not to need anyone helping me into my suit, although I'd be diving with a group anyway, so there'd always be someone around. (Nonetheless, I'm notoriously independent and self-reliant, and would prefer to keep it that way! :D)

Anyone else care to add their opinions on drysuits? They'd be most welcome! :)

#60 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:56 AM

Annasea,

It looks like you have plenty of information on the different drysuit materials. There is no right answer, they all have pros and cons. I went to DUI Dog days this year and tried both a TLS 350 (trilam) and the Crushed neoprene suit, I wanted to try there Cordura but ran out of time. The water wasn't cold enough to notice any difference in warmth. I will say the Crushed neoprene was heavy, I didn't notice it swimming in it, but if packing for a trip could be an issue. Then on the other hand one of the owners of my LDS has the crushed neoprene and it has fit him through some weight fluctuations he has had. I was diving with the other owner last weekend and her old rubber drysuit had the zipper go out. She had a TLS 350 also with her (she knew her zipper was going) she did say she noticed the cold much more in the TLS 350 (the water was 42 degrees).

I know this just adds to the confusion. I know I will purchase my own drysuit in the next year or two instead of renting. I am unsure what I will go with when the time comes. I will just continue to gather information alonf the way.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users