• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits vs. Drysuits

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:06 PM

Yeah,
what it be,
Annasea??

You finally get certified??
diving that is??? :fish2:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#77 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:33 PM

Congratulations! (I'm sure you passed . . . .)

One thing I would like to point out regarding a dry suit (I dove Seattle/Vancouver area for my first 10 years) is that you are much more likely to be comfortable between dives and after dives using a dry suit. I still got cold using my drysuit while diving, but preferred the comfort topside versus freezing in a wet suit.

Get a dry suit first thing!

#78 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hi All,

I've just started searching around for beginner diving classes and have discovered that some facilities offer classes utilizing wetsuits only while others offer both wet and drysuit diving. The wetsuit place recommends starting with wetsuits only as drysuits are a whole other kettle of fish and might be "too much information" for a newbie such as myself just starting out.

I asked about the temperature factor and was told that even in a wetsuit, the layer of water between one's skin and the wetsuit heats up and acts as an insulator, making it not much different than being in a drysuit with layers of underwear on. I'm guessing that this might be true up to a point but once in "cold" waters, maybe the drysuit is the better way to go.

On the other hand, if I'm paying for a beginner course, perhaps exposure to both suits would be worthwhile for an extra $100.

My questions are, how did you learn to dive? Wetsuit? Drysuit? Or both?

Also, what seems to be most people's preferences now that they're experienced? Even in "warm" waters, do you still feel more comfortable temperature-wise in a drysuit rather than wetsuit?

Thx!
annasea

Neither, I cert'ed in swim trunks. But with that said, if in an environment were either wetsuits or dry suits could be used. I would have to say drysuits should be used during training over wetsuits. Then you could work backward.

Everyone always goes well most people are never going to use a dry suit. Yes but when the do "need" to use one they are task overloaded. And their day of diving is blown.

If you train them in drysuits, they are prepared from training for the task of using a drysuit even if they never dive it again.

I just got a drysuit a few weeks ago, after not diving in one for at least the last 10 years. My first 2 dives I looked like a dive #1 scubadiver, so even with training they do take getting use to again.

Conclusion - go dry first, then work backward.

#79 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:14 PM

We used to train beginner divers in drysuits in England, but decided after some time that it was better to do basic training in semi-drys and immediately afterwards give drysuit training. Made for cold diving, but the concensus was that managing a drysuit safely was just one task too many for a beginner.

#80 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

I just ordered my dry suit and should have it for winter! I went with the TLS 350 from DUI and can't wait to try it out. It should take about 4 weeks then I'll have to make a dive trip to Fla to pick it up and actually use it.

#81 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

I just ordered my dry suit and should have it for winter! I went with the TLS 350 from DUI and can't wait to try it out. It should take about 4 weeks then I'll have to make a dive trip to Fla to pick it up and actually use it.

Let me know when it get's here. Er, on second thought, call me after you have done the first few dives and have gone through your . . . intiation. :clapping: (If you don't get it now, you will after you try it for the first dives.)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#82 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Heheh... is Annasea still around???
Back from diving?? or so hooked on diving she can't talk to the rest of us... :teeth:

I hope so eh??? :clapping:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#83 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

Heheh... is Annasea still around???
Back from diving?? or so hooked on diving she can't talk to the rest of us... :cool2:

I hope so eh??? :clapping:

Hey Frank! :teeth:

ME still around?! YOU'RE the once who's been gone! :D

To answer your question... I'm still working on certification. I'll keep you posted. :)

#84 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:31 AM

Let me know when it get's here.  Er, on second thought, call me after you have done the first few dives and have gone through your  . . .  intiation.  :teeth:  (If you don't get it now, you will after you try it for the first dives.)

I will. I'll be taking a dry suit initiation class from my fundies instructor when it comes in. Hopefully it will go smoothly...

Oh, thanks for the heads up about the zip seals. I'll get them in the wrist but DUI suggested not to get them for the neck as the largest one they have is only a 1/4 inch larger than my head. They tried to be polite, but then again how do you say, 'your heads too big for the seal.' :lmao:

Edited by VADiver, 22 September 2005 - 06:34 AM.

#85 cleung

cleung

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

I live in Canada and did local diving only during my OW course. I haven't touched Canadian waters ever since so it was wetsuit all the way through Master Diver certification and lots of awesome tropical warm water diving. However, I now have the desire to dive the Galapagos one day and I heard the water can be cold there. I also noticed that BC got rave reviews from Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine and I know it's dry suit conditions there. So this means that I will have to learn to use a dry suit after all. It really depends on where you want to dive.

Clint

#86 cleung

cleung

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:51 PM

I met some divers from Nova Scotia and they do this trick where they bring a thermos of hot water with them on the dive boat. Then they pour in the hot water down inside their 7 mm wetsuits. They claim that it works in keeping them warmer.

Clint

#87 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

I met some divers from Nova Scotia and they do this trick where they bring a thermos of hot water with them on the dive boat.  Then they pour in the hot water down inside their 7 mm wetsuits.  They claim that it works in keeping them warmer.

Clint

Interesting, Clint!

I know it depends on the water temp and length of dive, but I wonder how long such a trick works. :D

#88 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

It takes the chill off and gives temporary relief to the cold on the surface. During cold water months, I fill a cooler full of hot water so my student divers can soak their gloves and hoods in between dives. It makes it easier for donning for subsequent dives.

I don't, however, recommend divers stand under a hot shower (not even addressing the potential DCS issues here) in-between dives as it has been suggested this opens up pores bringing blood up to the surface of the skin, since the body thinks its to warm all the sudden, thus causing the body to become colder on subsequent dives.

This is in regards to diving in cold cold waters, i.e. less than 50 degrees.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#89 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

I did the Saba liveaboard in April...on the night dives, the crew were waiting on the boat with hot water to pour down your wetsuit, hot chocolate and hot towels...it was great!

#90 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

In my experience, there's no such thing as a "semi" dry suit. You're either wet or your dry. "Semi-dry" is like being "Semi-pregnant". :teeth:

As far as form-fitting and flattering are concerned... ummm... well. How do I say this...

Okay. I'll just say it. Chicks in neoprene are SMOKIN' HOT. :P

In my opinion, the discussion of drysuit drag is over-stated. Diving is a slow, relaxing activity. We're not out to set any speed records. Yeah, there's a little more drag with a drysuit, but diving dry in the Northwest is far more comfortable in the long run.

As far as baggy is concerned, yeah, by necessity, a drysuit will be a little baggy. That can be a nice thing, because you have a little wiggle room and can also adjust the amount of insulation you wear underneath your suit to allow for winter and summer diving (and winter diving is the BEST up here!)

Drysuits aren't going to win any awards on the runways of Paris or Milan, but they do have a COOL factor to them that can't be over stated... after all, how else would James Bond blow up a submarine while fending off sharks with fricken' laser beams and then climb out of the water in Tuxedo? :) Hah!

-d

Sometimes the prevailing current or Flow can negate any possibility of "swimming leisurely". In these cases, Drag is BAD!

Norm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users