• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Destinations for 2005...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,616 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hey you wild and wonderful group of fun, scuba loving single and buddyless divers....where do you want to dive in 2005????? (Yep it rhymes...cuz I'm a poet and didn't know it!)

Most of you have wanted to join our fun and exciting 2004 trips but you ALREADY have your 2004 calendar full and some of you even have trips planned in 2005 already!!

So here's what I'd like know...

1. If you have a trip planned ALREADY in 2005...where are you going...why that destination...and WHEN are you going? Maybe we can arrange an official SingleDivers.com trip to join you!

2. If you don't have your 2005 trips booked then where do you want to dive? How long do you want to stay? And do you want to dive with a bunch of other fun and scuba loving singles from this site???

3. And perhaps most importantly...if you suggest a dive destination as a 'must see' for you in 2005 PLEASE let me know the BEST time of year to go there and the WORST time of year including rainy or storm season if you know it. That helps me to plan the calendar!! Thanks! -Wreck Wench

So here is what I've heard so far.....

a. PNG for June 2006 (Yes you can throw out some 2006 destinations....)
b. Flower Gardens of Texas Gulf Coast
c. More North Carolina....
d. California
e. Florida
f. Possibly Pacific North West trip
g. Cozumel
h. San Andreas

Please let me know if any of these appeal to you or if you want someplace not listed. We will then try to narrow it down to the trips that MOST of you want!!! Tanks!! Sea ya soon....-ww :dancing:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

So far for 2005 I am will be on the Nekton Pilot in Belize on Jan 8th to dive with some friends... that's it so far.

Lots of things on my wish list still...

Bonaire
Turks & Caicos
Australia
Thailand
Galapagos
Socorro Islands

just to name a few :dancing:

Jennifer

#3 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:17 PM

I will be going to Cocos Isl in Sept 2005 with a medical group. We have reserved the Sea Hunter and Undersea Hunter for 10 days. I was there a couple of years ago, and it was the most AWESOME trip. Picture diving all day, then having medical talks at night in the common area, with drinks in hand. You don't have to be in the medical field to go, as the registration $ for the conference is separate.
Diving; My zen space.

#4 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:34 PM

As we have discussed on occasion, there are many Caribbean destinations with appeal and most of us have done at least a few of them. We can list Bonaire, Cozumel, Belize, Caymans Turks and Caicos, Barbados, Roatan, Trinidad and Tobago as "wish list" destinations. And then there are the "exotics". Truck and Palau, the Great Barrier Reef, Phuket, The Galapagos, East coast of Africa, and others. Many of us, however, will make perhaps one or two of these destinations in the next five years. Most of our diving will be done much closer to home. Time and cost considerations will limit the number and durations of the "dream" trips. While we need to plan for these, I propose we need to make some domestic trips (even some fresh water destinations) a priority. Places where we can meet each other as a group and that won't break the bank. We could have a Bonne Terre Mine dive trip which would be accessible for most of the United States at a very reasonable cost. A SD gathering in Florida with Walter would cover points to the East and perhaps a California Kelp diving trip would attract Western divers. The North Carolina trips compare (cost wise) with Cozumel and attract those with a taste for something different. I think we need some regional "cells" to plan get togethers in their respective areas much like the May Athens (Texas) scuba trip. These could be held on a much more frequent basis and allow an inexpensive "domestic" trip with a "host" region that could attract other divers from around the US to dive in different environments. While we are saving for that dive to "go down on Sara" at Bikini, we could enjoy each other's company many times and in many unfamiliar environments around the US. I, for one, enjoy "getting wet" with my friends at any opportunity and the chance to dive an unfamiliar "gravel pit" or "rock Quarry" is very attractive if I'm there with people who I enjoy.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

#5 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:28 AM

As we have discussed on occasion, there are many Caribbean destinations with appeal and most of us have done at least a few of them.  We can list Bonaire, Cozumel, Belize, Caymans Turks and Caicos, Barbados, Roatan, Trinidad and Tobago as "wish list" destinations.  And then there are the "exotics".  Truck and Palau, the Great Barrier Reef, Phuket, The Galapagos, East coast of Africa, and others.  Many of us, however, will make perhaps one or two of these destinations in the next five years.  Most of our diving will be done much closer to home.  Time and cost considerations will limit the number and durations of the "dream" trips.  While we need to plan for these, I propose we need to make some domestic trips (even some fresh water destinations) a priority.  Places where we can meet each other as a group and that won't break the bank.  We could have a Bonne Terre Mine dive trip which would be accessible for most of the United States at a very reasonable cost.  A SD gathering in Florida with Walter would cover points to the East and perhaps a California Kelp diving trip would attract Western divers.  The North Carolina trips compare (cost wise) with Cozumel and attract those with a taste for something different.  I think we need some regional "cells" to plan get togethers in their respective areas much like the May Athens (Texas) scuba trip.  These could be held on a much more frequent basis and allow an inexpensive "domestic" trip with a "host" region that could attract other divers from around the US to dive in different environments.  While we are saving for that dive to "go down on Sara" at Bikini, we could enjoy each other's company many times and in many unfamiliar environments around the US.  I, for one, enjoy "getting wet" with my friends at any opportunity and the chance to dive an unfamiliar "gravel pit" or "rock Quarry" is very attractive if I'm there with people who I enjoy.

Well Put! :cool1:

Great suggestion on Bonne Terre as well as the others, I've wanted to check out Bonne Terre out for quite awhile, just couldn't find anyone that has wanted to go or had the time to go. A quick summary of this area is below if interested:

Water conditions remain constant with over 100 foot visibility, Sights include: mammoth architecture, guaranteed year round diving conditions. cal falls, oar carts, scaffolding, grating, staircases, pillars, slurry pipes, the famed elevator shaft, and much more. The Billion Gallon Lake is illuminated with over 500,000 watts of lighting, a total of twenty-four dive trails have been laid out in the lake, taking the diver through mammoth archways, past beautiful calcium falls, around gargantuan pillars and to the many abandoned mining artifacts. Depths of the dive tours average between 40 to 60 feet. Divers are toured through the mine in groups of ten by two specially trained dive guides. Super 80 cubic ft. aluminum tanks are provided each diver. Dive lights are not permitted in the lake, because they detract from the natural beauty of the illuminated surroundings. Power inflator are required on all BC's. Billion Gallon Lake is 58 (Degree F) and not affected by outside temperatures, there are no thermo clines. Air temperature is 62 (Degree F) year round. Lighting on the rock formations is spectacular. One can descend to 80 feet and look up to see divers silhouetted against a rainbow. Man carved pillars grace the entire Billion Gallon Lake. The 200 foot solid-rock pillar rising from depths and mining artifacts on the walls and floor make for spectacular underwater photography."

My calendar is wide open for 2005 as far as I know, and definitely interested in some of these trips mentioned.

WG

Edited by WisconsinGal, 22 April 2004 - 07:01 AM.

#6 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:35 AM

I am discovering that I'll go just about anywhere..... :wavey:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#7 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

superfun, WG! question though: where is bonne terre?

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:43 AM

It's a flooded lead mine in Missouri.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

interesting...what certs/training is required?

#10 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:16 AM

interesting...what certs/training is required?

My understanding is that OW is required. Dive Logs a must. I at first thought cavern certification was required, but after reviewing several sites doesn't appear to be the case. They teach OW and further advanced classes there.

WG

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:49 AM

If it were closer, I'd check it out, but I have a hard time justifying a trip to Missouri to dive a mine when I'm so close to excellent diving.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

That sounds really interesting. Funny thing is I went to college not 30 miles away from Bonne Terre and didn't know a thing about the diving. Doh! Has anyone here dived there? I'd be up for that.
coppermaus

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

I'd be up for that.

It's getting easier to justify.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

I'd be up for that.

It's getting easier to justify.

LOL. Plus I could show y'all all the haps in Jefferson County. Lots of maple trees, mostly. How could you resist such an offer?
coppermaus

#15 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

okay 'maus...i checked on mapquest. it's a 10 hour, 15 minute drive from my place. how fun is that (hmmmm....flying maybe better.) i just sent my sister a link about bonne terre as she loves to explore caves and always wanted to try out diving. maybe this will get her interested to be my buddy (although she lives in michigan :diver: ) hmm...sounds super cool...can't wait until ww sets it up or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users