• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NY/NJ/CT and anywhere else Happy Hour #1

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

Everyone ready for a Happy Hour????

I know I sure am.

So, to that end, let this be the kick off post to determine WHO, WHEN and WHERE our very first NY/NJ/CT/PA will be.

what I need:

1. Who wants to join in the fun and festivities? bringing anyone? If so, how many?
2. Where are you coming from? I want to try and find a place central to most of the participants.....
3. What day(s) of the week are best for you? Send me two (2) best choices.
4. Any locale suggestions?

Since it's getting warmer, I would like something possibly outdoors, but at the very least, something with an island or ocean flair....

I have a few goals with our first happy hour:

1. I want everyone to have a good time and tell all their friends about it....
but, remember, what happens at the NYC HH, STAYS at the NYC HH....
unless there are pictures....then you're on you own.

2. I want to beat Houston's best attendance record......:P

Any Angel Advice (and or Attendence) will be gratefully accepted. :teeth:

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#2 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

I'm interested. I live near Morristown, NJ and work in NY. In a few weeks Dutch Springs will work as a weekend spot.

Thanks for organizing.

#3 nydiver

nydiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~200

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, dutch springs would be nice, course anything about now sounds good. How about mid-may? Say 14th or 15th, maybe both...

Edited by nydiver, 27 April 2005 - 05:26 PM.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

I'm interested but I'm commited to a dive/beach picnic on the 15th. :cool2: :o
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:00 PM

Sounds like fun, although I'm committed on May 14th, as I'll be opening my dive season at Ft. Wetherill on that day. :welcome:

Rick
:welcome:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin 1706—1790

#6 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:23 PM

Well, I think the 14th or 15th is a bit to soon.....was looking more at 25th or 26th or June 1st or 2nd.

Would like to get more response and a better idea of how many people and a better idea of a central location....

I will have a better idea as we get more posts.

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#7 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:37 PM

Since you are trying to cover such an extensive area, I think a weekend might work better. Mid-week about the best I could do would be NYC or northern NJ after work. On the weekend, I could go further to get to an event. I suspect others have the same issue.

#8 FrenchieFish

FrenchieFish

On a roll now.....

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water - Level 1 beginners
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

Hi Tolly:

I agree with Geek that it would be better to organize an event over a weekend if we plan to attract people from such a large area. It would be a shame if not too many people could attend mainly due to time and distance during the week.

May sounds too soon as well + lots of people might be away during Mem-weekend (I know I will, going diving to FL, yoohoo :dance: )

On the other hand, nothing prevents us to organize HH events locally, meaning NYC, during week days in the meantime!! :welcome:

Here are a few bars/cafe that come up to my mind:

1) The "Fish Bar" (perfect Name where we could to establish our HQ!) - East Village - 5th St. & 2nd Ave.
Local bar, nothing pretentious, but friendly, cheap and located in the midst of a myriad of great restaurants if people want to dine out as well! + they offer free cheese & crackers w/ HH drinks

2) "Boat...something": Complete name will come soon, stay tuned!
Great outdoor bar & restaurant right on the Hudson River, West side & 72nd St. (TBC). A little further uptown but great place especially when it's nice outside!

Some other names should pop up soon if you are interested!

How many SD members are working or living or both in or nearby NYC?

Why don't we start local?

Mid-week and Friday nights would be better but am in for any days of the week as well!!

Hope that could help...Let me know if you need further help to organize something soon... :verysad:

Cheers,
FF

#9 FrenchieFish

FrenchieFish

On a roll now.....

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

Everyone ready for a Happy Hour????

I know I sure am.

So, to that end, let this be the kick off post to determine WHO, WHEN and WHERE our very first NY/NJ/CT/PA will be.

what I need:

1. Who wants to join in the fun and festivities? bringing anyone? If so, how many?
2. Where are you coming from? I want to try and find a place central to most of the participants.....
3. What day(s) of the week are best for you? Send me two (2) best choices.
4. Any locale suggestions?

Since it's getting warmer, I would like something possibly outdoors, but at the very least, something with an island or ocean flair....

I have a few goals with our first happy hour:

1. I want everyone to have a good time and tell all their friends about it....
but, remember, what happens at the NYC HH, STAYS at the NYC HH....
unless there are pictures....then you're on you own.

2. I want to beat Houston's best attendance record......:wavey:

Any Angel Advice (and or Attendence) will be gratefully accepted. :D

Hi Tolly:

Any more input and news on this?...Let me know + if can be of any further help to make things move a 'lil for this...

Cheers,
FF

#10 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:46 PM

Heya gang. I'm on Long Island but happy to come into the city for a HH. During the week, Wednesday is always good. A weekend thing is tough as I work overtime every Saturday but I could pop out to Dutch on a Sunday.

You could arrange both.,. a happy hour being just that, drinks and snacks after work type of party and arrange a Dutch weekend for a summer weekend say in July or August.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#11 FrenchieFish

FrenchieFish

On a roll now.....

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

Heya gang. I'm on Long Island but happy to come into the city for a HH. During the week, Wednesday is always good. A weekend thing is tough as I work overtime every Saturday but I could pop out to Dutch on a Sunday.

You could arrange both.,. a happy hour being just that, drinks and snacks after work type of party and arrange a Dutch weekend for a summer weekend say in July or August.

Here we go, I am in, not quite sure what yet, but we will figure it out soon enough :welcome:!! Wednesdays sound great, anyone else ready to jump in for a local HH in NYC?...Come on, we have beat up TX w/ attendance, don't we?...!!

Look forward to meeting you up there...

Cheers,
FF

#12 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

Just set the time and place with a bit of notice for the word to spread.

#13 sjkocis

sjkocis

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level: O.W
  • Logged Dives:80 +

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

Late may or early june would good for me .

Soon as new wet suit gets here ( on back order)

#14 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

I'll be at Dutch Springs this weekend with a buddy from work. If you are there, look me up between dives. I'll either be with Hoboken Dive Center, or Elite Divers depending on who is there.

Steve

#15 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'm down in Va but my family lives up in NY and I visit often. Have yo decided on a date and place yet...it might be time to visit the relatives again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users