• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW SD Rumpus '05

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

GREAT DAY!

Let me be the first to report on the first SD PNW dive trip! The diving was good, but even better was that Kamala is every bit as nice in person as she is online!

I'm jealous but also glad that Kamala got to see one of our most precious denizens of the deep on the second dive, a giant pacific octopus (gpo for short). I was not with her buddy team of Frank, Nicole, and Kamala, but from the reports, it was a huge guy, even by our standards, and he put on a show for the Yellow Rose from Texas.

Not to be left out, the other SD'ers that I met for the first time were also great folks, Kevinpo, RonPDX, Nicole. (Frank and Colleen I've met before).

Debriefing was held at Anthony's Restaurant on the waterfront, just a few steps away from the boat launch. After some great chow and conversation, some folks adjourned to take a tour of Pt. Defiance Aquarium, some headed for home.

I'm sorry now that I decided to get in some extra work on Saturday, the last day of the pay period, instead of spending time in the booth and HH with Kamala and the others. They will have to give you the report on that part, plus any other feedback on the dive.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#2 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yes, good diving...

Here' some pics of the PNW Treasure Hunt:
The SD Booth, several pics..

http://www.mossbaydi...Hnt/index_5.htm

Click on the thumbnails for a large version slide show...

Hope that helps...

Might have a pic of the GPO tomorrow, if it came out...

Attached Images

• ZeesReefSD_19s.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#3 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:36 PM

and another...

It was Waaaay back in there, but note the suction disks going all along the crack...

This would be considered a fairly large one...

Attached Images

• ZeesReefSD_20s.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:57 AM

I figure I had better add my 2 psi.. Before the stories get told.
First, THANK YOU to everyone who stayed with me, you know who you are,
I was worried about space and how to arrange things, but you all just went with the flow and put up with the crazyness of my house and dogs..
I don't think I have had so much fun in months. I am heading to work this am with a silly grin on my face. Everyone will wonder what I did this weekend :welcome:

Second, When are you all coming back?? The house is so quiet this a.m.
Put the Wench on the plane and she is headed home.

We met a great couple from Vancouver BC dive shop owners at the treasure hunt. I had parked them in.... Invited them to the HH. They love us and took several SD card home to their shop..:welcome:
We even picked up a soldier along the way and brought him to HH. He is taking us to the dive shop on the army base. Got to love the military folks..
WW personally stickered 2 dive boats on Sunday, with a promise from the owner that he will sticker the third boat. Gotta love the Bandito Charters Crew they are totally awesome. They baked us cookies while on board..Great day, great friends and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies... Live is good.

I will post more when the head stops spinning.

I am thinking we need another PNW HH and real soon.. I am thinking Portland for the next round.. anyone have any ideas??
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

Though its not 'soon', if you hold off until the 15th or 16th of July, I will guarantee my participation as I will be up that way on Wednesday the 13th for a meeting. If not, then perhaps we can do one in the Sea-Tac area!!

Just my lonely 2 psi!

:)

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

DBD for you I will plan a special HH..I will check the daytimer and keep you posted...

#7 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:03 AM

Now I feel even worse for missing but it was really great to see my friend and her boyfriend! Well, I will get to meet everyone next time (and, I will be able to dive with you once this silly drysuit is done!)

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

The dives were great and yes, the octo Kamala, Frank and I saw was HUGE HUGE HUGE and laid out in a crevice that afforded WW a beautiful view of one of the PNW's finest. The topside weather worked wonderful for those of us diving on Sunday and it was truly a gorgeous May day!

Here's my rig packed ready for the weekend! There are two sets of doubles on the right, pony bottles, weights, and four steel 80s under the gear for Nick (we'll get him signed up to SD soon!), Ryan (aka dive_addict) and myself on the left. Can I just say Honda CRVs make fabulous dive vehicles and we found a much better use for those carseat seat belts - doubles holders!!

Attached Images

• MyRig.jpg

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

And after the day of diving, Kevin (kevinpo) , Colleen (gis_gal), WW and I did a quick tour of the Pt. Defiance Aquarium. It was good to see many PNW critters in a place where we had a chance to point them out, talk about them, and compare notes to what we saw on the dives.

On our way out, somebody hollared "PEACOCK!" but we don't think that's exactly what WW heard...(pardon the fuziness but it was an action shot on my camera phone....couldn't have missed this one! :welcome: )

Attached Images

• Kamala.jpg

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

The Dynamic Duo......
Nichole and Kamala..

Delco Wall

Attached Images

• DelcoWall_10s.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#11 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

Frank you always take the best pics.. Thanks for sharing. I know there are a few more fun ones floating around in your cameras... :wavey:

#12 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

I know there are a few more fun ones floating around in your cameras... 

Heheh... Yeah, Just don't know how those got in there...
The Invisible Photog eh???
should have a gallery up by today or tomorrow...

Good seeing you again, sorry the dives didn't work out..

Pic...???
don't know how this got there or who took it, but this is a first class dive boat charter... equiped with "Hand Warmers".
Meet "Left Hand" and "Right Hand"
Truely a "Wench Warmer" if I've ever seen one...
And the look on both of their faces is like a scene out of "American Gigilo" :wavey:

Attached Images

• ZeesReefSD_a26s.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#13 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

oh our fabulous DM hotties.. hand warmers....
Now how did that pic get in FBP's camera....I have no clue...I just hope I wiped off my finger prints when I returned it to his bag...

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:21 AM

Rutro....busted!!! :taz:

Well I came up from my first PNW dive a tad bit cold...translation...face and hands white as a ghost. I could not get circulation back into them...the water was a balmy (by local standards) 49-51 degrees depending on whose computer you used. (Balmy to me is 80+ and comfortable is 90+ just so you have some perspective.) I was seriously cold and not even hot soup could get the circulation flowing again. Yes I wore 5mil gloves and my core was warm thank goodness to my Hi Tide Neoprene suit and full thermals. But my extremities were gone and we needed to get blood flow again so that I could make the second dive.

Ryan aka dive_addict pulled his shirt down in typical eskimo fashion and offered to warm up my hands...so after a startled ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh your hands ARE COLD moment....they started to thaw out. Then Nick aka Narcosis Nick or some other soon to be created screen name...offered to share in the thawing process of the wench. :dance:

Soon the blood was rushing back to my...uh...hands...and the color returned to my face...(how could it not with such incredible boat amenities) and I was able to make the second dive. :iagree:

And speaking of which...my first dive was 40-45 mins and my second on Z's reef was 50-55 mins thanks to Frank helping me work the bouyancy of my dry suit in a mere 18-10 feet of water as we scaled the slope coming back into shore and ascending.

I must say boat amenities aside which were very nice by the way...the scenery was gorgeous...the diving was really amazing...the marine life in this area is truly unlike ANYTHING I've ever seen. HUGE HUGE HUGE starfish of all colors and types. Of course the HUGE octopuses and ling cod that are the size of small barracudas! All kinds of sculpins and critters I'm not sure the names off. The anemenies were beautiful and I can't wait to see more of Frank's pictures!

My dive buddy Nicole aka Dive_Girl is a fabulous teacher...(she will be our trip instructor for the August NC dives so you all are in for a treat!) Being still new to my drysuit and of course PNW diving I felt like a student/newbie all over again. (Looked like it too on a number of occassions! LOL!!!) My utmost respect goes out to anyone who has learned to dive in the NW or who has dove there....your skills exceed most divers with multiples of your dives under your belt. There is no comparison between what it takes to dive in cold water vs. warm water. KUDOS!!! AND RESPECT!!! :cool1:

So Nicole kept an eye on me...and at times a hand on my arm so as to not lose me when viz dropped or we were attempting to navigate to the actual site from the boat. But once we started the dive and I got more acclimated, I felt like a diver again and could enjoy the dive without worrying about being up and down with my bouyancy...keeping my feet low and venting the drysuit properly and of course STAYING WARM!!!! :P All I can say is thank goodness I didn't have to do a mask removal and clear....we STILL be waiting for me to take it off and put it back on! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

Some people bring beer or chips to parties...I bring my Divemasters... :anna: They were talking about the weekend again last night! We all had a great great time!

As for the next Seattle area HH, I've got OW/AOW classes scheduled for the June 18th weekend, but guess what!!?? I schedule the classes, and can look at some rearranging.... :iagree:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users