• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Scuba Trivia

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

Yes, indeed, Sylvia Earle, one of those reason we say, "This is a special person, worthy of our honor"

"I did not run to be crowned... when I have not won" Mary Renault

EXACTLY!

Marine biologist Sylvia Earle—sometimes known as "Her Deepness" or "The Sturgeon General"—has been an explorer-in-residence at the National Geographic Society since 1998. Named Time magazine's first "hero for the planet" in 1998, Earle has pioneered research on marine ecosystems and has led more than 50 expeditions totaling more than 6,000 hours underwater. She holds numerous diving records, including setting the women's depth record for solo diving at a thousand meters (3,300 feet).

#17 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

Well said, Richard. A true hero of our world!!!! Does not get nearly enough credit!!!

Huzzah for her Deepness!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#18 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

Well said, Richard. A true hero of our world!!!! Does not get nearly enough credit!!!

Huzzah for her Deepness!!!

Thanks!

Dr. Earle has done more for diving and the health of the oceans than we could ever properly credit. When Sylvia Earle first began her career, she met resistance. Some people could not accept a woman traveling with men on long scientific expeditions, but her remarkable accomplishments have won her a position in the oceanographic community that transcends boundaries. Botanist, biologist, conservationist, entrepreneur, Sylvia Earle has followed whales in the open sea, fought with sharks, and lived for weeks at a time on the floor of the sea, in the Tektite undersea station. She has challenged and overcome every obstacle that stood in the path of her burning curiosity about the magical world beneath the waves.

She is indeed a heroine among divers and scientists. Had she the same media attention given a particular Frenchman, we may indeed be saying "Cousteau who?"

#19 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:47 AM

In 1957 Lloyd Bridges played the character Mike Hunt in this television series. The series inspires thousands of people to take up scuba diving.

What was the show's name?

#20 BamaGal

BamaGal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:28 AM

My dad loved that show - Sea Hunt. I've never seen it.

#21 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:30 AM

Bamagal, you can rent videos from most of the rental places. You should see some of those shows. They are a hoot to watch.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

In 1943 Frenchmen, Emile Gagnan and Jacques Cousteau invented the demand regulator

Actually, Gagnan invented it. Cousteau gave him full credit, although the idea was Cousteau's. Cousteau did not have the background to allow him to invent such a device.

In 1954 - Zale Parry broke the depth record by diving to 209 feet near Catalina, CA

I believe (I'll check) Cousteau and Dumas exceeded this depth in the mid to late 1940's.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

In 1954 - Zale Parry broke the depth record by diving to 209 feet near Catalina, CA

I believe (I'll check) Cousteau and Dumas exceeded this depth in the mid to late 1940's.

Walter, I think you're right. I checked my source and it does say that Zale broke the world record. However, searching further I found another source saying she broke "the Woman's record." I couldn't find one for Cousteau.

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure Dumas hit somewhere around 210 very early (prior to the end of WW II). After the war, but still in the 1940's, the French Navy conducted deep diving tests on SCUBA. The dropped a weighted line with cards attached every 10 feet. Each diver was to dive (solo) to the deepest point at which he felt comfortable and sign his name on the card at that depth before returning to the surface. In the first test, Cousteau made the deepest dive, but did not remember doing so. When they brought up the line, Cousteau asked who signed his name on that card. He was a victim of "Rapture of the depths." There was one fatality during the tests. I'll look up the actual depths of the dives and the dates to report back to you.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 FLDiver

FLDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:14 AM

Lloyd Bridges played the character Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt ?!?!?!?

LMAO!!!! ;)

I thought that was only in Porkys!!!

Next yer gonna tell me he had a dive buddy .... named Hugh .... Hugh G. Rection ?
ba-dum-BUMP-kish!

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:37 AM

How did that slip by? Mike Nelson.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users