• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Regulators

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:35 AM

With my tongue planted firmly in cheek I would like to say that the "New" AquaLung double hose reg would look perfect on a Mares/Dacor Hub BC and maybe with those triple tanks AquaLung/US Divers tried selling in the late eighties.
All three setups were designed to make your LDS rich with repete service calls.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#17 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

Confused yet? I know I am. :diver: Oh BTW welcome aboard and all that. :teeth: Hey we can all appreciate and relate to your enthusiasm. Definitely not trying to put a damper on it, just something to consider. You said you were going to go out and buy a few high cost items. Certainly having and being comfortable with your own gear adds to your confidence level and enjoyment of the sport, however it's not necessary to rush out and buy everything. You might want to consider renting your equipment until you get a few more dives under your belt so you have a better appreciation for the features you like and dislike.

Most people will recommend that your reg is probably the first thing you buy and I would in general agree with that. It is your vital link to your air supply and it's nice to know that it has been properly maintained. However I still occasionally rent equipment. Sometimes I am traveling on business or traveling with nondivers and I plan only to squeeze in one day of diving someplace. Then its not worth bringing all my gear. Although I'm sure everyone has experienced shoddy rental equipment at some point, however most reputable dive shops I've seen have good quality equipment.

Also something to consider is how cold natured you are? Everyone is different. Ok I might get bushwhacked for this one, but I have noticed that women tend to be more cold natured than men. If that is the case you might find that a good fitting wetsuit will add greatly to your enjoyment and comfort. You can probably always find a good reg and BC to rent, perhaps not a good fitting wetsuit. Besides some "people" find rental wetsuits a bit….unsavory. Most likely you were informed by your instructor that there are two kinds of divers in the world. Those that....
:D Well just ask anyone if you don’t know what I'm talking about.

Thanks! You're right about waiting on buying the equipment. My diver friends all say that the one thing they love is their regulators. Nothing beats a good one you're familiar with. I've looked into some side-exhaust ones, but have no experience with them. They seem to not have as many features, such as the purge button, and you have to lean to one side before you can clear them, as I understand it. So it seems I'm leaning toward a regular single hose. I'll probably invest in a dive computer when I'm ready to purchase a regulator, though. The local shop carries Atomic and Suunto. I don't know the differences yet, but I do want one that's Nitrox-compatible for the future.

As for wetsuits, I will probably go with a 3mm neoprene. I plan to dive mostly (if not exclusively) warm waters. I prefer sun and fun! I actually found that the GUYS in my dive class were the ones with the blue lips in the pool at 82 degrees water temp! I suppose there are disadvantages to having more muscles than fat! The 3 mm suit was just fine for me. When we had to tread water for 10 min w/o our wetsuits on, I was fine, but the boys were shivering like crazy! ;)

#18 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

With my tongue planted firmly in cheek I would like to say that the "New" AquaLung double hose reg would look perfect on a Mares/Dacor Hub BC and maybe with those triple tanks AquaLung/US Divers tried selling in the late eighties.
All three setups were designed to make your LDS rich with repete service calls.

That seems to be the general consensus except for the very specialized divers! Thanks! :teeth:

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

A prepeed wetsuit merely saves you the trouble.

Seriously, capt_cu2 has some excellent points, although I personally disagree with his recommended order of purchase. There are lots of differences in BCs, but very few in regulators. While one reg might breathe easier than another and the design my differ on various points, basically (assuming we are staying away from double hoses) you use them all exactly alike. They all have purge buttons, you don't have to tilt to the side to clear any of them. Assuming you have a well maintained regulator, which one you have won't make much difference in your day to day diving.

OTOH, BCs are vastly different in how you use them. Zeagles, for example, trap a little air, you need to lean forward and to the right to dump all your air. Some BCs have a right shoulder dump, others don't. Some have weight integration, others don't. Some are streamlined, others have "features" that create drag making for a much harder dive, especially in current. I'd much rather rent a regulator than a BC.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

My personal view on a first purchase has nothing to do with diving performance or comfort. It's hygienic. I think rental regulators are generally not very clean and I believe that I have gotten respiratory infections at least twice from them. If you are renting them while on vacation, you don't have a good facility for making sure they are clean and many islands do not chlorinate their water supplies. There is some literature to substantiate this as well. Just for that reason, I would vote for a regulator first, although Walter's comments on the BC are very true. Wetsuit fit is also important and I think I've seen more people have a bad dive from an ill fitting wetsuit than any other reason. If you fit well in common sizes of wetsuit, you are probably o.k., but a lot of people don't and those that are outside the norm in size, distribution of weight, etc. probably should consider getting a wetsuit first of all.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#21 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Good points, if you're renting a reg, bring bleach.

DSSW,

WWW™

#22 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

I reccomend buying your BC first.. Every BC is differnt and you don't want to get somewhere and not be able to find a rental BC that fits you or that you are familar with or comforatable using....

I know that I'll get slammed on this one but a reg is pretty much a reg... you hook it up and breathe, so rent the reg till you find one that you like and buy the BC and the wetsuit first.
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#23 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

Couple of comments here...

I do agree with the comments about buying a BC. I consider the BC and reg. as 1 and 1 a) on the priority. In other words, they are close together and high up there.

There is an exception. If you are difficult to fit into a wetsuit (keep in mind that many wetsuit designers appear to men and don't seem to consider that women have curves), you may want to look down that direction. I have helped fit many students into wetsuits and let me say that women can be the most difficult to fit. This is to the point were we are trying to pull off a wetsuit and when it "lets go" we have somebody halfway across the shop in record time. (Think tug of war and one side lets go of the rope.)

Dive computers... I would say that will be low on your priority list. Most are nitrox compatible now so that shouldn't be a problem. Take time to learn your tables in class and look around at dive computers that everyone else around is diving before investing sound money in a dive computer that you come to hate.

You can learn much about gear simply by going diving after you certify and seeing what everyone else is using. If you have a question, then ask. Most of us love to talk about our dive gear.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#24 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Howdy,
Just thought I'd drop a line..

Although I've heard of the new double hose, smaller lines etc, but haven't seen them, believe it's more of an expensive gimmick.

I like taking UW photos and have never had a problem with bubbles in the face... using the Scuba Pro and Atomic regs. (prefer SP)

I'd pass on the double hose and just concentrate on getting some dive time.. and other equipment for now

hope that helps...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#25 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

Howdy,
Just thought I'd drop a line..

Although I've heard of the new double hose, smaller lines etc, but haven't seen them, believe it's more of an expensive gimmick.

I like taking UW photos and have never had a problem with bubbles in the face... using the Scuba Pro and Atomic regs. (prefer SP)

I'd pass on the double hose and just concentrate on getting some dive time.. and other equipment for now

hope that helps...

Thanks! Why do you prefer the SP regulator over the Atomic?

#26 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

A prepeed wetsuit merely saves you the trouble.

Ewww....but so true!

I suppose that I can solve the issue of buying BC vs the regulator by saying that I am planning to buy both. I've set aside money aside to buy tho dive, a wetsuit, possibly a dive computer, plus a few extras....we can talk about accessories and what to fill my gear bag with too in another thread perhaps. I'm a gadget girl and would be much too happy to talk gadgets and accessories!

I've heard of custom fit wetsuits -- is that pretty common? With all this talk about how wetsuits not really fitting women's curves, I wonder if maybe a custom made one isn't the way to go. How much more expensive is this and is it worth it? The ones I've worn so far seem to be okay. I consider myself pretty in-shape and proportional, but my only complaint so far is that the necks seem tight -- and I don't have a thick neck! :P
Is this normal? Heard you can have pockets and other extras put in the custom made one, but I don't know how cost-prohibitive this option is.

Also, any advice on the BC's? My dive shop sells the integrated weight BCs -- with the weight pockets. I think I understand the pros/cons of those vs. going with the weight belts, but would be happy to hear any other commentary. Also, I seem to have trouble securing the tank to the BC -- it seems tight, but then it slips over time in the water. I don't want this to happen when I'm in the OW! I saw some BCs have double straps to hold the tank. No matter how hard I pull the straps, the tanks seem to always slip after a while in the water during class. You'd think they'd design some grooves or something in the tank to help the straps grip, but then again, it seems I might be the only one with this problem?!

#27 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

They're six of one, half dozen of another...

It seemed to breath easier at all water depths...

The Atomic (forget the model B-1?? but in the same price range $500-600) seemed a little harder.. heheh.. not that you have to work at breathing, they're all fine regs..

The one I use now SP-650 (the Darth Vadar one) was verging on the point of "Pressure Breathing" in that it was soooooooo nice, I'd just have to start and it'd pump air in.. sweet...

I've used the D-300, then the D-350 and then the D-400, then ATomic and then back to the current Darth Vadar D-650.. Also the service, ease of getting it inspected and "fix-it" shops on trips if needed.. never had anything go wrong outside of a Design error D-650/recalled which was fixed and replaced..

So, If you can try various different ones, easier to say than to actually happen, do that, but if not, the you'll do well with SP... just ask around...

Also, just an FYI...
I believe there are 3 to 4 stages a NEW diver goes through, probably more...

1st Stage - buys whatever the dive store tells them to buy
2nd - buys everything in the store, ends up looking like a walking dive store
3rd - dumps all the stuff he/she never used, returns to basic, simple and reliable equipment. KISS is the mantra
4th - goes on to Tech, see #1 above (just joking here...

I know, as I've done it.. heheh and still do...

The important thing is to get to diving and you'll find what you do like and don't like and will adjust... Most dive equipment is built to last forever or close to it, so you keep the old and use as a backup... it also depends upon how much diving you'll be doing.. 2 trips a year or 4 days a month.. might make a difference.

The important thing is "Just git to diving",
the rest will work out OK...

Hope that helps...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

I've heard of custom fit wetsuits -- is that pretty common? With all this talk about how wetsuits not really fitting women's curves, I wonder if maybe a custom made one isn't the way to go. How much more expensive is this and is it worth it?

It's worth it if one off the rack won't fit you. If one off the rack fits well, don't waste your money on a custom.

Heard you can have pockets and other extras put in the custom made one, but I don't know how cost-prohibitive this option is.

If you're going for a custom, add a spine pad, knee pads and a key pocket.

Also, I seem to have trouble securing the tank to the BC -- it seems tight, but then it slips over time in the water. I don't want this to happen when I'm in the OW!

It's a design flaw. It's a common problem. Most BCs have crappy tank straps. Scubapro tank straps don't slip.

Also, any advice on the BC's? My dive shop sells the integrated weight BCs -- with the weight pockets. I think I understand the pros/cons of those vs. going with the weight belts, but would be happy to hear any other commentary.

Weight integrated BCs are a PITA to deal with with the weights in them. I also think it's a PITA to take out the weights before switching tanks and replacing them after. A weight belt is much easier for me.

Look for a BC without padding and cummerbunds. That merely adds drag. I personally use a Scubapro Classic Sport. It's streamlined, doesn't trap air, tank strap won't slip and is not weight integrated.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

Also, just an FYI...
I believe there are 3 to 4 stages a NEW diver goes through, probably more...

1st Stage - buys whatever the dive store tells them to buy
2nd - buys everything in the store, ends up looking like a walking dive store
3rd - dumps all the stuff he/she never used, returns to basic, simple and reliable equipment. KISS is the mantra
4th - goes on to Tech, see #1 above (just joking here...

I know, as I've done it.. heheh and still do...

The important thing is to get to diving and you'll find what you do like and don't like and will adjust... Most dive equipment is built to last forever or close to it, so you keep the old and use as a backup... it also depends upon how much diving you'll be doing.. 2 trips a year or 4 days a month.. might make a difference.

The important thing is "Just git to diving",
the rest will work out OK...

Hope that helps...

Thanks very much! That is a great help. And yes....

I am guilty of Stage 1....and am rapidly approaching Stage 2..... since I'm a bonafide d gadget geek, I'm afraid the condition will only get worse! Is there a cure? :P

#30 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

Also, I seem to have trouble securing the tank to the BC -- it seems tight, but then it slips over time in the water. I don't want this to happen when I'm in the OW!

Are you wetting the tank strap of the BC before putting it on the tank?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users